|The Sleeping Giant|
|Elevation||1,287 m (4,222 ft) |
|Location||South-East District, Botswana|
Kgale Hill (Setswana for "The Place that Dried Up") is a hill located in Gaborone, Botswana. Nicknamed "The Sleeping Giant", Kgale Hill reaches a summit elevation of 1,287 metres (4,222 ft) above sea level. The hill used to be home to a television repeater and is now a tourist destination.
Climbing and recreation
The hill is the site of the PPC King of the Hill race, a collaboration between PPC Botswana and the Gaborone Runners Club. The 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) race begins at the PPC Botswana office, travels past Game City Mall, winds around the Kgale Quarry, climbs up the hill, and goes back to the PPC Botswana office.
Filming for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency took place at the foot of Kgale Hill, giving rise to the nickname "Kgalewood" for the set. The show's producers signed a ten-year lease for the area, and the Botswana government has invested US$5 million in the TV show in order to develop the set for tourism.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kgale Hill.|
- Karlin, Adam; Firestone, Matthew D. (5 February 2010). Botswana & Namibia. Lonely Planet. ISBN 9781741049220.
- "Gaborone in details..." Botswana Tourism Organisation. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- Denbow, James Raymond; Thebe, Phenyo C. (2006). "Literature and Media". Culture and customs of Botswana. World: Africa. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 73. ISBN 978-0-313-33178-7. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "King of the Hill Reign up for Grabs". PPC Botswana. 26 June 2012. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- Wines, Michael (23 September 2007). "The No. 1 Botswana Movie Shoot". The New York Times. Gaborone. Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.