Khadg Singh Valdiya
Khadg Singh (KS) Valdiya
|Born||20 March 1937 |
|Known for||Tectonics, Environmental Geology|
|Parent(s)||Dev Singh Valdiya|
Nanda Valdiya 
|Awards||Padma Bhushan 2015 |
The G.M Modi Award for Science and Environment 2012
L.N. Kailasam Gold Medal 2009
Padma Shri 2007
Hindi Sevi Samman (Atmaram Award) 2007
Prince Mukarram Gold Medal 2000
National Mineral Award of Excellence 1997
D.N. Wadia Medal 1995
National Mineral Award 1993
S.K. Mitra Award 1991
P. Pant National Environment Fellow 1982–84
National Lecturer 1977–78
L. Rama Rao Gold Medal 1977
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize 1976
Chancellor’s Medal at Lucknow University 1954 
Khadg Singh (KS) Valdiya is an Indian geologist and a former vice chancellor of Kumaon University, known for his contributions in the field of geodynamics. A 2007 recipient of Padma Shri, he was honoured again by the Government of India in 2015 with Padma Bhushan, the third highest Indian civilian award.
He was born to Dev Singh Valdiya and Nanda Valdiya on 20 March 1937 in Myanmar. In 1947 his family returned to their hometown in Pithoragarh in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. After schooling in Pithoragarh, he did his bachelor (BSc), masters (MSc) and doctoral (PhD) studies at Lucknow University and joined the university as a member of faculty in 1957. A 1965–66 Fulbright scholar at Johns Hopkins University, he has also taught at Rajasthan University, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) and Kumaon University. He was the vice chancellor of Kumaon University in 1981.
Valdiya has been involved with the establishment of such geological institutions as Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Central Himalayan Environmental Association, Nainital, G. B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Almora, and the Geology Department of the Kumaon University. He is an elected fellow of Indian National Science Academy, National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc), Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc), and the Third World Academy of Sciences (FTWAS) and is a fellow of Geological Society of India, Geological Society of America and Geological Society of Nepal. He has served as a member of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India.
- "ksvaldiya". ksvaldiya. 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "Apna Uttarakhand". Apna Uttarakhand. 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "IAS". IAS. 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "INSA". INSA. 2015. Archived from the original on 5 February 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "The Tribune". The Tribune. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Padma Awards. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "This Year's Padma Awards announced". Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2015. Archived from the original on 26 January 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "NASI". NASI. 2015. Archived from the original on 28 March 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "TWAS". TWAS. 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2015.