Khakyab Dorje, 15th Karmapa Lama
|Date of birth:||1871|
|Place of birth:||Sheikor, Tsang, Tibet|
|Birth name:||Khakyab Dorje|
|Date of death:||1922|
|Place of death:||?|
|Titles/Honours:||Karmapa, Lama, Rinpoche.|
|Part of a series on|
Khakhyap Dorjé, 15th Karmapa Lama (Tibetan: མཁའ་ཁྱབ་རྡོ་རྗེ; 1871–1922 or 1870–1921) was born in Sheikor village in Tsang, Tibet. (Martin 2003, p. 289) Recognised and enthroned by Migyur Wanggyel, 9th Drukchen Lama, Khakhyap Dorjé was given the Kagyu teachings by Jamgon Kongtrul. Trashi Özer and other masters completed his education. He was enthroned as the 15th Karmapa at Tsurphu Monastery when he was six years old. (Naher 2004, p. 221) He went on to teach and give empowerments throughout Tibet and preserved many rare texts by having them reprinted.
In 1898 he travelled to Bhutan, bestowing many transmissions. On his return to Tibet, he took several consorts. (Naher 2004, p. 222) Unlike previous Karmapas, Khakyab Dorje married and his wife, Dāki Wangmo, bore three sons, one of whom, Khyentsé Özer, was recognised as the Second Jamgon Kongtrul (Martin 2003, p. 290) and another, Jamyang Rinpoché, an unrecognised Shamarpa (d. circa 1947).
- "མཁའ་ཁྱབ་རྡོ་རྗེ". Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center.
- "bkra shis 'od zer". Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "འཇམ་དབྱངས་རིན་པོ་ཆེ". Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- The Sharmapa Incarnations
- "karma 'jam dbyangs mkhyen brtse'i 'od zer". Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Lander, Maureen, ed. (2012). History of the karmapas : the odyssey of the Tibetan masters with the black crown. Ithaca, N.Y.: Snow Lion Publications. ISBN 978-1559393904.
- Martin, Michele (2003). Music in the sky : the life, art, and teachings of the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje. Ithaca, N.Y.: Snow Lion Publications. ISBN 978-1559391955.
- Naher, Gaby (2004). Wrestling the dragon : in search of the boy lama who defied China. London: Rider. ISBN 978-1844132317.
- Thinley, Karma (2008). The History of Sixteen Karmapas of Tibet. USA: Prajna Press. p. 150. ISBN 1-57062-644-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Khakyab Dorje, 15th Karmapa Lama.|
|Reincarnation of the Karmapa||Succeeded by
Rangjung Rigpe Dorje