Khalid Saeed Batarfi
Khalid Batarfi appearing in an AQAP video.
|Born||1978; or 1979; or 1980|
|Other names||Abū al-Miqdād al-Kindī, Abū al-Miqdād al-Kanadī|
|Known for||Senior military commander in AQAP|
|Allegiance|| AQAP |
|Years of service||2010-present|
|Rank||Supreme commander(Emir) of Abyan |
(2010–2011) Field commander in Hadramaut
Khalid Saeed Batarfi, (Arabic: خالد سعيد باطرفي), also known as Abū al-Miqdād al-Kindī (Arabic: أبو مقداد الكِنْدِي), is a Saudi Arabian militant and a senior member of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. He oversaw the Yemen-based group's media network and led jihadist fighters in their takeover of Yemen's Abyan Governorate in 2011, where he was accorded the position of emir. He also reputedly carried out terrorist attacks in the Abyan and Hadhramaut governorates.
On 17 March 2011, Batarfi was captured by security forces in the Taiz Governorate. For four years, he was imprisoned in Mukalla. He was freed, along with about 300 other inmates, by al Qaeda fighters on 2 April 2015, during the Battle of Mukalla. The Washington Post compared the Mukalla prison break to the escape of 23 fighters, including future AQAP emir Nasir al-Wuhayshi, from a Yemeni prison in 2006, a formative event for the group.
- Fighting Back: What Governments Can Do About Terrorism edited by Paul Shemella
- "Officials: Al Qaeda fighters free 270 from Yemeni prison". CNN. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Three militants, three soldiers killed in Yemen". CNN. 17 March 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Amid Yemen chaos, al Qaeda stages prison break". CBS News. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Spencer, Richard (4 April 2015). "The al-Qaeda commander at home in a governor's palace". The Telegraph. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Bacchi, Umberto (2 April 2015). "Yemen: Al-Qaeda frees 300 in al-Mukalla prison attack". International Business Times. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Miller, Greg (5 April 2015). "Al-Qaeda franchise in Yemen exploits chaos to rebuild, officials say". Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Bacchi, Umberto (4 April 2015). "Yemen: Al-Qaeda operative Khalid Batarfi takes selfies inside Mukalla government". International Business Times. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
|This Saudi Arabia biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Yemeni biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to terrorism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|