Khalid Abdul Samad
|Yang Berhormat Tuan
Khalid Abdul Samad
Khalid Samad in 2015
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Shah Alam, Selangor
8 March 2008
|Preceded by||Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin (UMNO – BN)|
14 August 1957 |
Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Relations||Younger brother of Shahrir Abdul Samad|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
In 2010, Khalid became engaged in a debate with fellow opposition (later pro-government independent) Member of Parliament Zulkifli Nordin over the use of the word "Allah" by non-Muslims. After Khalid stated that he opposed a Selangor law that prohibited non-Muslims from using the word "Allah", Zulkifli lodged a police report accusing Khalid of sedition. Zulkifi, a Kedah MP, moved to Selangor to run against Khalid in the 2013 election as a Barisan Nasional candidate, but Khalid was re-elected with an increased margin.
In August 2014, Khalid was charged under Section 4 of the Sedition Act for allegedly questioning the executive powers of the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (Jais) in relation to the confiscation of Malay-language and Iban-language bibles. Khalid was among several other opposition politicians as well as non-politicians arrested in the 2014 Malaysian sedition dragnet.
|1986||P028 Kuala Krai, Kelantan||Khalid Samad (PAS)||10,330||45.77%||Mohamed Isa (UMNO)||12,240||54.23%||23,127||1,910||77.91%|
|1990||P002 Arau, Perlis||Khalid Samad (PAS)||13,154||38.57%||Shahidan Kassim (UMNO)||20,948||61.43%||35,196||7,794||77.42%|
|1999||P134 Sri Gading, Johor||Khalid Samad (PAS)||11,598||28.41%||Mohamad Aziz (UMNO)||29,156||71.42%||41,687||17,558||74.83%|
|2004||P108 Shah Alam, Selangor||Khalid Samad (PAS)||19,007||36.81%||Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin (UMNO)||32,417||62.78%||52,336||13,410||75.66%|
|2008||Khalid Samad (PAS)||33,356||57.90%||Abdul Aziz Shamsuddin (UMNO)||24,042||41.73%||58,361||9,314||77.47%|
|2013||Khalid Samad (PAS)||49,009||56.16%||Zulkifli Noordin (UMNO)||38,070||43.63%||88,126||10,939||88.16%|
- "Malaysian Insider: Khalid Samad". Malaysian Insider. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- Raslan, Karim (30 September 2008). "Steering PAS westward". The Star. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- "Khalid Samad – official blog". Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- Habibu, Sira (23 January 2010). "PKR's Zulkifli Noordin files police report against PAS' Khalid Samad". The Star. Archived from the original on 26 January 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- "PAS’s Khalid Samad charged with sedition". The Malaysian Insider. 26 August 2014. Archived from the original on 11 September 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- Keputusan PRU13