Khalid bin Bandar Al Saud
|Khalid bin Bandar|
|President of General Intelligence|
|In office||30 June 2014 – 29 January 2015|
|Predecessor||Bandar bin Sultan|
|Successor||Khalid bin Ali Al Humaidan|
|Deputy Defense Minister|
|In office||14 May 2014 – 28 June 2014|
|Predecessor||Salman bin Sultan|
|Governor of Riyadh Province|
|In office||14 February 2013 – 14 May 2014|
|Predecessor||Sattam bin Abdulaziz|
|Successor||Turki bin Abdullah Al Saud|
|Born||citation needed]16 March 1951 [|
|House||House of Saud|
|Father||Bandar bin Abdulaziz|
|Mother||Princess Wasm'ya bint Mohmm'ed bin Moa'mmer|
Khalid bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (Arabic: الأمير خالد بن بندر بن عبد العزيز آل سعود) (born 16 March 1951) is a member of the House of Saud. He served as the president of the General Intelligence and as the governor of the Riyadh Province. He was the first grandson of King Abdulaziz to be the governor of the Riyadh Province. Prince Khalid is also the former deputy defense minister.
Early life and education
Prince Khalid is the third son of Prince Bandar, who is the eldest surviving son of King Abdulaziz. Khalid bin Bandar graduated from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. He holds a master's degree in military sciences. He participated in advanced foundational courses for armor officers in Saudi Arabia and United States, and also been involved in several different field exercises.
Khalid bin Bandar is a high-ranking military personal and commander of the Saudi Arabian Royal Army. He began his military service at the first battalion of the fourth armored brigade. Later he worked as an operations officer in the armored forces command, and then was promoted to deputy commander of it. He served in the G3 armor corps at the Royal Saudi Land Forces (SALF) in the early 1980s. He became a major general in 1997, and was appointed deputy commander of the SALF. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant general in May 2011. Then he served as the commander of the SALF. He served in this post until his appointment as Riyadh governor and was replaced by Eid bin Awadh Al Shalawi as the commander. He made several visits and participated in foreign joint cooperation committees between Saudi Arabia and other countries.
On 14 February 2013, Prince Khalid was appointed governor of the Riyadh province, succeeding late Prince Sattam. His deputy was Prince Turki bin Abdullah, who was also appointed on 14 February.
On 14 May 2014, Prince Khalid was appointed deputy defense minister replacing Salman bin Sultan in the post. His deputy, Turki bin Abdullah, was appointed governor of the Riyadh province on the same date.
On 30 June 2014 Prince Khalid was appointed president of the General Intelligence. His term ended on 29 January 2015 when Khalid bin Ali Al Humaidan was appointed to the post. Prince Khalid was made an advisor to King Salman in January 2015.
Prince Khalid married Princess Mashael bint Mohammed bin Saud bin Abdul Rahman Al Saud and they have six daughters. Their children are: Princess Noura, Princess Haya, Princess Anoud (wife of Prince Salman bin Saud bin Salman bin Mohammed Al Saud), Princess Sara (wife of Prince Miteb bin Saud bin Mohammed Al Saud), Princess Najla and Princess Nouf.
Honours and awards
- Saudi Gazette (15 February 2013). "New Emir of Riyadh a decorated military officer". Saudi Gazette. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Riyadh Princes". Ministry of Interior. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Khaled appointed Riyadh governor, Turki his deputy". Arab News (Jeddah). 15 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "New Governor for Riyadh Province". Crossroads Arabia. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Saudi king named Khalid bin Bandar a new governor of Riyadh". Al Arabiya. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- Andrew J. Barden (14 February 2013). "Saudi Minister Puts Young Royals in Succession Spotlight". Bloomberg. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- al Ziabi, Fahd (15 February 2013). "New Riyadh Governor: Prince Khalid bin Bandar". Asharq Alawsat. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- جريدة الشرق الاوسط الدولية (15 February 2013). "جريدة الشرق الاوسط : خالد بن بندر.. القائد العسكري يتولى إمارة الرياض". Asharq Alawsat. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "The role of Saudi princes in uniform". Wikileaks. 27 May 1985. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Saudi King Abdullah issues new royal orders". Asharq Alawsat. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Prince Khalid bin Bandar in Turkey". Saudi Press Agency. 19 May 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Saudi king names Prince Khalid bin Bandar as new Riyadh governor". Middle East Online. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- القوات المسلحة السعودية (2009). "القوات المسلحة السعودية : شهداء الواجب". Asharq Alawsat. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Prince Khalid bin Bandar Named Governor of Riyadh". US-Saudi Arabian Business Council. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Saudi deputy defence minister replaced". Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Saudi king appoints son as Riyadh Province governor". Arabian Business. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Saudi Arabia's Prince Khalid bin Bandar named intel chief". Dhownet. 1 July 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "King Salman makes appointments". Royal Embassy, Washington DC. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Saudi Leaders Pledge Oath to New King". Susris (Riyadh). 2 February 2015. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- جريدة الرياض (12 December 2011). "جريدة الرياض : وزير الدفاع يقلد الفريق الوقداني والفريق خالد بن بندر وسام الملك عبدالعزيز". Al Riyadh. Retrieved 14 February 2013.