|Fields||Human Rights and International Relations|
|Institutions||University of Karachi, Social Policy and Development Center|
|Alma mater||University of Karachi|
|Doctoral advisor||Khalid M. Ishaq|
|Doctoral students||Huma Baqai (International Relations expert)|
|Known for||Human Rights, Gender issues|
Khalida Ghous or Khalida Ghaus (Urdu خالدہ غوث) is an eminent scholar of International Relations & Human Rights and a prominent activist from Pakistan, who holds the distinguished honour of being First PhD in Human Rights from her country. Currently she is the managing director of Social Policy and Development Center, a Karachi based Pakistani research center of international repute.
Khalida holds MA & PhD degrees in International Relations from University of Karachi. She did her PhD under the supervision of eminent jurist and scholar Khalid M. Ishaq on the Institutionalization of Human Rights with the particular reference to the European Court of Human Rights.
- managing director, Social Policy and Development Center, Karachi.
- Professor and ex-chairman, Department of International Relations, University of Karachi.
- Ex-Director, Center of Excellence for Women's Studies, University of Karachi.
- Ex-Editor, Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Karachi.
- Honorary Director, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- Honorary Director, Pakistan Center for Democracy Studies.
Honors and fellowships
- Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Fellowship, July 1992.
- Attended Salzburg Seminar on Transnational Law and Human Rights, 12–24 July 1992, Salzburg, Austria.
- Visited United States under the International Visitor's Programme on Conflict Resolution Tensions in South Asia. 10 Oct – 8 November 1992.
- Represented Asia-Pacific Region in International World University Service Delegation at the 50th and 51st Session of United Nations Commission on Human Rights, 20–27 February 1994 and February 1995, Geneva.
- Asia Fellow at the Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington D.C. 1 June – 30 July 1999.
Works and positions
Being one of the senior Professors, Dr. Ghous has completed her first term as Chairperson of the Department of International Relations, University of Karachi from September 2003 to September 2006 & now on a long leave from university. She has also remained Director of the Center of Excellence for Women's Studies University of Karachi. She also serves as the Honorary Director of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and the Honorary Director of the Pakistani Center for Democracy Studies. She has been a delegate to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights & was invited by European Union to deliver a talk in Brussels. Dr. Ghous has been teaching Human Rights & Foreign Policy Analysis for more than twenty years, and has written extensively on the subjects. Having a book and monograph to her credit, she has also been involved in the policy-making both with the Federal and Provincial Governments on gender-related issues. She is a member of several professional bodies and is a nominee of the Sindh Government in the monitoring committee constituted on Women Empowerment. She also teaches at the distinguished Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi & gives lectures in renowned institutions of country & abroad. Human Rights, Far East and Pakistan's Foreign Policy are her areas of interest. Her other interests include Women Rights and Gender Issues. Dr. Ghous has extensively published in internationally acclaimed journals, contributed articles in many books, and completed several research projects. She has participated and organised many National & International Seminars & Conferences and delivered lectures in American Universities as guest speaker and various Staff Colleges at home. She is regularly invited by the television channels to give her expert opinion on the issues of International Relations & societal/gender issues. She has guided many students for M.Phil./PhD degrees & herself remained research fellow of some distinguished institutes of the world. She is author of a book on "Rights of Women in Islam", and co-editor of 'Pakistan's Foreign Policy: Problems and Prospects’.
Activism and Track II Diplomacy
Dr. Khalida is deeply involved in the Pakistan-India back channel diplomacy being an active member of India-Pakistan Neemrana initiative. Many of her important suggestions were considered by Indo-Pak governments.
- Ghaus, Khalida, 2006 Trafficking of Women and Children in South Asia and Within Pakistan, New York: Lawyers for Human Rights and Legal Aid (LHRLA)
- Ghaus, Khalida, 2002 Female homebased workers : the silent workforce, Karachi: Centre of Excellence for Women Studies, University of Karachi.
- Ahmed, M. and Ghaus K., (ed.), 1999 Pakistan: Prospects and Perspectives, Karachi: Royal Book Company
Notes and sources
- Bio details, University of Karachi
- Social Policy and Development center
- Henry L. Stimson Center
- An interview with the Financial Post
- Important role in Indo-Pak track II diplomacy
- Voice of America takes her comments
- The Pioneer editorial
- President of Pakistan's website
- Dawn Pakistan's largest english daily praises Dr. Khalida in Editorial
- International Conference