|Motto||Nurturing tomorrow’s leaders.. Growing the knowledge economy |
|Chairman||His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|President||Tod A. Laursen|
|Location||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
Khalifa University (جامعة خليفة, also known as Khalifa University of Science, Technology & Research, or KUSTAR) is a science-focused university located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates with a satellite campus in Sharjah. In 2017 it is ranked as the 401st best university in the world by QS rankings.
Founded in 2007 by a decree issued by UAE President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Khalifa University was established in an effort to support a knowledge-based economy that will contribute to the state’s post-oil future.
The university has a student population of approximately 1300.
Originally established in 1989 as the Etisalat College of Engineering (ECE), the school’s main campus was built in Sharjah, and aimed to supply the Emirates Telecommunications Corporation (Etisalat) with technologically trained workers.
Khalifa University’s current president, Tod A. Laursen, was appointed in August 2010. As of 2013, KU faculty and staff come from over 40 countries, and its student body is internationally diverse and co-educational.
Khalifa University offers 8 undergraduate degrees through its College of Engineering:
- B.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering
- B.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering
- B.Sc. in Communication Engineering
- B.Sc. in Computer Engineering (with optional concentration in Software Systems)
- B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with optional concentration in Power Systems)
- B.Sc. in Industrial and Systems Engineering
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering
There are 7 postgraduate programs of study under the College of Engineering and the Institute of International & Civil Security:
- M.A. in International and Civil Security
- M.Sc. in Information Security
- M.Sc. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. in Nuclear Engineering
- M.Sc. by Research in Engineering (Electrical and Computer)
- Ph.D. in Engineering (with the option to specialize in Electrical and Computer, Mechanical, Aerospace, Biomedical, Nuclear, or Robotics Engineering)
International & Civil Security
Distinct in the Gulf, Khalifa University's Institute for International and Civil Security (IICS) seeks to "produce research which will strengthen the security of the UAE in a way that is responsive to the needs of national and global security decision-makers ... enabling the programme to make major contributions that enhance regional, international and human security." The IICS's director is Professor Joel Hayward, "a world authority on international conflict and strategy".
The three original undergraduate B.Eng. (Hons.) degree programs offered by Khalifa University (Communication, Computer, and Electronic Engineering) have been awarded accreditation by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
In recent years, KU has established a number of international academic and research partnerships. They include associations with the Georgia Institute of Technology, Texas A&M University Nuclear Security Science & Policy Institute, and KAIST. In April 2011, Khalifa University signed a memorandum of understanding with the University of Bristol to establish and create the Visual Signal Analysis and Processing (VSAP) research centre at the university’s Abu Dhabi campus.
The University has plans to build a new campus near the current campus of Abu Dhabi. The new campus would be 80 hectares (198 acres) in size and allow enrollment to increase up to 6,000 students. The new campus will house a medical school, state of the art labs, a student hub, and sporting facilities.
Khalifa University’s campus student newsletter is The Student Voice, which is published once a semester. Students can also participate in various clubs and academic organizations ranging from student government to the sports club.
- This motto is displayed in the university Factbook which was published in 2014. 
- Melanie Swan (2012-09-28). "Bold new plans for Khalifa university - The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Employees at Khalifa University". kustar.ac.ae.
- "Khalifa University Undergraduate Admissions". http://www.kustar.ac.ae/. Retrieved 2014-11-10. External link in
- "Khalifa University Graduate Admissions". http://www.kustar.ac.ae/. Retrieved 2014-11-10. External link in
- "Region's first graduate program in International and Civil Security to be showcased by Khalifa University at IDEX 2011". Al Bawaba. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "KU launches Master's in International, Civil Security". Khaleejtimes.com. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Khalifa University Master's in International and Civil Security receives accreditation". Al Bawaba. 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Professor at Khalifa University publishes Book on the Effects of Airpower on the Environment (Arabic)". Al-Khaleej (Arabic language), 11 February 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "IET Institute of Engineering and Technology: Directory of Currently Accredited International Programmes. Updated 6 Match 2012". theiet.org. Retrieved 2012-10-21.