Khalmer-Yu (Russian: Хальмер-Ю) is a ghost town, a former urban-type settlement in Komi Republic, Russia, disestablished in 1995. Its main occupation was coal mining of high-quality coke coal. in Pechora coal basin. It was administered by Gornyatsky district council of Vorkuta.
Coal in the area was discovered in the early 1940s. Industrial mining started in 1957. Initially the settlement, together with the surrounding coal fields belonged to Nenets Autonomous Okrug. However mining was carried out by Vorkutugol (Воркутуголь, "Vorkutcoal") combine. Therefore, eventually was transferred to Komi ASSR in November 1959.
In the early 2000s it became part of a military proving ground Pemboy (Пембой) as a result of the restoration of the aviation proving ground Khalmer-Yu which existed since the 1960s 15–20 km northeast of the settlement.
- Khalmer-Yu portal for former residents
- "Valley of Life (about Khalmer-Yu settlememnt)", archived article from a June 1983 issue of Zapolyarye ("Trans-Arctic Cycle") from article cycle dedicated to 40th anniversary of Vorkuta
- "Историческая справка. МО ГО "Воркута"" Archived 2014-08-10 at the Wayback Machine (retrieved August 3, 2004)
- № 1351 «О ликвидации шахты „Хальмер-Ю“ производственного объединения „Воркутауголь“ и мерах социальной защиты населения поселка Хальмер-Ю Республики Коми»
- В. И. Ильина Власть и уголь: шахтерское движение Воркуты (1989—1998 годы), Syktyvkar, Syktyvkar State University, 1998.
- An official answer of military to a citizen's request about the shooting range, an image of the letter
- Игра в запуски. Lenta.ru
- Бомбардировщики Ту-160 с Путиным обстреляли дом культуры в посёлке Хальмер-Ю
- Учения Стратегических ядерных сил. 20.10.2012
- lelik1970 - "Панцири" в Воркуте
|This Russian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|