Left-Right: Stephen O'Malley, James Plotkin, Tim Wyskida, Alan Dubin
|Origin||New York City, New York, United States|
|Genres||Drone metal, doom metal, sludge metal|
|Labels||Southern Lord Records
Hydra Head Records
|Website||Khanate label page|
|Past members||Alan Dubin
Khanate was an drone metal supergroup that brought together James Plotkin and Alan Dubin, two members of the defunct band OLD, as well as Tim Wyskida of Blind Idiot God and Manbyrd) and Stephen O'Malley of Burning Witch and Sunn O fame.
Keeping some similarity to O'Malley's previous band Burning Witch, Khanate produced songs that usually exceeded the 10 minute mark, characterised by extremely slow tempos, harsh layers of feedback and vocalist Alan Dubin's torturous shrieking.
As of September 24, 2006, Khanate was split up, with Plotkin stating that the "lack of commitment from certain members" led to the split.
In the January/February 2009 issue of Rock-A-Rolla magazine, vocalist Alan Dubin stated: "we had a few festival offers which sparked some talk of a reunion but they didn't pan out in the end." He went on to say, "I highly doubt a reunion will happen."
- Live WFMU 91.1 (2002, Live)
- No Joy (Remix) (2003, EP)
- Let Loose The Lambs (2004, Live DVD; limited to 230 copies)
- KHNT vs. Stockholm (2004, Live)
- Live Aktion Sampler 2004 (2004, Live)
- Dead/Live Aktions (2005, DVD)
- It's Cold When Birds Fall From The Sky (2005, Live; limited to 500 copies)
- Southern Lord Label Info
- Load Records Label Info
- Khanate at James Plotkin's website
- Khanate discography at MusicBrainz
- Khanate at Encyclopaedia Metallum
- Stephen O'Malley's official website
- Khanate at Last.fm