Khandava Forest (Khandava Vana, Sanskrit: खाण्डव वन, khāndəvə vənə) or Khandavprastha (Sanskrit: खाण्डवप्रस्थ) was an ancient forest mentioned in the epic Mahabharata. It lay to the west of Yamuna river, in modern-day Delhi territory. Pandavas cleared this forest to construct their capital city called Indraprastha. This forest was earlier inhabited by Naga tribes led by a king named Takshaka. Arjuna and Krishna cleared this forest by setting up a fire. The inhabitants of this forest were displaced. This was the root cause of the enmity of the Naga Takshaka towards the Kuru kings who ruled from Indraprastha and Hastinapura.
The Mahabharata states that Indra was the protecting deity (deva) of Khandava forest, which is why the region was known as Indraprastha. When the forest was being burned, Indra attacked Arjuna with his bolt (vajra), injuring him. But Arjuna defeated all gods, Gandharvas and demons in that fierce battle and burnt entire forest. Chhapadeshwar Mahadev Mandir in Kharkhoda, Haryana was the part of Khandav Van. Khanda village named after Khandava Forest.
- Sir William Wilson Hunter, The Indian empire: its history, people and products, Trubner, 1882,
... the five Pandava brethren of the Mahabharata burned out the snake-king Takshaka from his primeval Khandava forest ...
- author, The Mahabharata, Book 1 of 18: Adi Parva, Forgotten Books, ISBN 978-1-60506-611-0,
... I adore thee also, to obtain the ear-rings, O Takshaka, who formerly dwelt in Kurukshetra and the forest of Khandava! ... And Takshaka, surprised beyond measure and terrified by the heat of the fire, hastily came out ...
- Paryattan Kosh, Subodh Pocket Books, ISBN 978-81-7078-081-6,
... खाण्डव वन की रक्षा इन्द्र किया करते थे ...
- Mahavir Prasad Dwivedi, Bhārata Yāyāvara, Mahavirprasad Dvivedi Rachnavli, Volume 12, Kitāba Ghara, 1995, ISBN 978-81-7016-259-9,
... उस वन में इन्द्र का मित्र नाग-राज तक्षक रहता है ... खाण्डव वन जलाने के समय इन्द्र ने अपने वज्र की चोटों से अर्जुन के शरीर को ...
- "The Mahabharata, Book 1: Adi Parva: Khandava-daha Parva: Section CCXXX". www.sacred-texts.com. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- "https://m.jagran.com/lite/haryana/sonipat-14373586.html". m.jagran.com. Retrieved 2018-10-25. External link in
- "https://m.jagran.com/lite/haryana/sonipat-11484707.html". m.jagran.com. Retrieved 2018-10-25. External link in
- "https://m.jagran.com/lite/haryana/sonipat-12696094.html". m.jagran.com. Retrieved 2018-10-25. External link in
- Automation, Bhaskar. "मुगलाें के खिलाफ खांडा में बनी थी सेना, अब 3 को सीएम करेंगे आर्म्ड प्रीपेटरी इंस्टीट्यूट का शिलान्यास". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). Retrieved 2018-11-07.