French poster of the film
|Directed by||Mrinal Sen|
|Produced by||Jagadish Choukhani|
|Screenplay by||Mrinal Sen
|Based on||Telenapota Abishkar (Discovering Telenapota)
by Premendra Mitra
|Music by||Bhaskar Chandavarkar|
|Cinematography||K. K. Mahajan|
|Edited by||Mrinmoy Chakraborty|
Khandahar (English: Ruins) is a 1984 Bengali film in Hindi language directed by Mrinal Sen, based on a Bengali short story, Telenapota Abishkar (Discovering Telenapota) by Premendra Mitra. The film stars Shabana Azmi, Naseeruddin Shah and Pankaj Kapur. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival.
Three friends from the city visit some ruins where an aged mother (Gita Sen) and her daughter Jamini (Shabana Azmi) live. Mother awaits the arrival of a distant cousin to marry Jamini, but the man is already married and living in Calcutta. The photographer Subhash (Naseeruddin Shah) takes pity on the family and pretends to be the awaited suitor. The mother dies contented. When the threesome leave again, Jamini stays behind, facing a life of loneliness in the ruins.
- Shabana Azmi ... Jamini
- Naseeruddin Shah ... Subhash
- Gita Sen ... The Mother
- Pankaj Kapur ... Dipu
- Annu Kapoor ... Anil
- Sreela Majumdar ... Gory
- 1985: Chicago International Film Festival: Grand Prize (Best Film)
- 1985 Filmfare Best Screenplay Award: Mrinal Sen
- 1984 National Film Award for Best Director: Mrinal Sen
- 1984 National Film Award for Best Actress: Shabana Azmi
- 1984 National Film Award for Best Editing : Mrinmoy Chakraborty
Ujwal Nirgudkar received Assocham Award for Best Film Restoration of Khandhar.
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 337. ISBN 81-7991-066-0.
- "Festival de Cannes: Khandhar". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
- "50 Years of Memories: Highlights from the History of the Chicago International Film Festival" (PDF). chicagofilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
|This article about a Hindi film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|