Khao Laem Ya–Mu Ko Samet National Park
|Khao Laem Ya–Mu Ko Samet National Park|
West coast of Ko Samet
|Location||Rayong Province, Thailand|
|Area||131 km2 (51 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation|
In 1981, the Royal Forest Department declared the archipelago of Ko Samet, along with nine other small islands, the headland of Khao Laem Ya, and the 11 kilometre Mae Rampeung Beach to be a national park, and thus these areas are under the jurisdiction of the national parks department. In August 2013 more than 500 national park officials were deployed to destroy three resorts—Muk Samet, Unseen, and Ploy Samet—which had been built illegally in the park.
- Khao Plet (Plet Hill and valley)
- Khao Laem Ya (Leam Ya Hill and valley)
- Mae Ram Phung Beach and mountain
and the islands of:
- Ko Samet
- Ko Kudi (Monk's Chamber Island)
- Ko Kruai (Cone Island)
- Ko Makham (Tamarind Island, also called Ko Kham)
- Ko Plai Tin (Foot's Tip Island)
- Ko Chan (Moon Island)
- Ko Talu (Hole Island)
- Ko Klet Chalam (Shark Scale Island)
- Ko Thai Khang Kao (Bat's Bottom Island)
In September 2016, the park chief and 79 other officials were removed from their posts for corruption. Investigations found that 200,000 baht per month was paid to park officials as kickbacks. The Department of National Parks (DNP) found that all businesses on Ko Samet "valued at over 100 million baht per month" were operated by "mafia groups", some linked to police officers. Since the removal of corrupt officials, revenues at the park have increased, rising to 4.8 million baht in October 2016, compared with 1.2 million baht in October 2015.
- "Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park". Bangkok Post. n.d. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "KHAO LAEM YA - MU KO SAMET NATIONAL PARK". Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Wipatayotin, Apinya (18 November 2016). "Samet beset by graft, probe finds". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
|This Rayong Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|