Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park
|Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park|
|Location||Phang Nga Province, Thailand|
|Nearest city||Takua Pa|
|Area||125 km2 (48 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation|
Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park (Thai: อุทยานแห่งชาติเขาหลัก–ลำรู่) is a national park in Phang Nga Province, Thailand. The park is named for two of its mountain peaks, Khao Lak and Lam Ru. It also encompasses beaches and forests.
Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park is 115 kilometres (71 mi) north of Phuket city and 30 km (19 mi) south of Takua Pa. The coastal area here is typically referred to as "Khao Lak". The park is just off Route 4 (Phetkasem Road).
Khao Lak–Lam Ru park covers parts of four districts: Kapong, Mueang Phang Nga, Takua Pa, and Thai Mueang. The park's area is 125 square kilometres (48 sq mi) and its highest peak is 1,077 metres (3,530 ft).
Originally the park was a seashore park, but in 1984 it was extended to encompass the forested and mountainous area inland and for protection of the province's main drainage basin. On 30 August 1991, Khao Lak–Lam Ru became Thailand's 66th national park.
The park has numerous large waterfalls, the largest of which is Lam Ru Waterfall, a waterfall of 5 levels and year-round water flow. Other waterfalls include Lam Phrao, Hin Lat, and Ton Chong Fa. The coastal park section at Khao Lak sea shore offers very clear waters and clean, quiet stretches of beach.
Flora and fauna
The park's forest is tropical evergreen forest, including such tree species as takian, Dipterocarpus, Alstonia scholaris, Magnolia champaca, and Anisoptera costata. Palms, bamboo, and epiphytes such as orchids and ferns grow widely throughout.
Smaller mammal species include colugo, binturong, and Malayan weasel. Larger mammals include Sumatran serow and Malayan tapir. The park is home to various reptile species including Bengal monitor and Malayan pit viper.
- "Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park". Tourism Authority of Thailand. Retrieved 2 Apr 2013.
- "Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park". Department of National Parks (Thailand). Archived from the original on 20 April 2014. Retrieved 31 Mar 2013.
- Williams, China; Beales, Mark; Bewer, Tim (Feb 2012). Lonely Planet Thailand (14th ed.). Lonely Planet Publications. p. 654. ISBN 978-1-74179-714-5.
- "National Parks in Thailand: Khao Lak-Lam Ru National Park" (PDF). Department of National Parks (Thailand). pp. 225–226. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- Nam, Suzanne (Feb 2012). Moon Handbooks Thailand (5th ed.). Avalon Travel. p. 218. ISBN 978-1-59880-969-5.
- Khao Lak travel guide from Wikivoyage