|Directed by||Ajai Sinha|
|Produced by||Sangita Sinha |
|Written by||Ashok Lal (script) |
Vinod Ranganathan (script)
Ishaan Trivedi (dialogues)
Vijay Verma (dialogues)
|Story by||Ajai Sinha|
|Music by||Annujj Kappoo|
|Edited by||Sanjay Sankla|
Ananda Film & Telecommunications
Khap is a 2011 Hindi film starring Yuvika Chaudhary, Om Puri, Govind Namdeo, Manoj Pahwa, Mohnish Bahl. Directed by Ajai Sinha, the film is a socio-political drama based on the Manoj-Babli honour killing case and Khap Panchayats in villages of Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, which order honour killing to prevent marriages within the same gotra.
Madhur Chaudhary (played by Mohnish Bahl) moves out of his rural home leaving his father alone after various disputes they have. Madhur re-locates to Delhi along with his wife, Komal, and daughter, Ria (played by Yuvika Chaudhary). Sixteen years later, Ria is now in college, while Madhur is an Investigator with Human Rights Department. He is asked to investigate a case in his village of alleged suicide of a couple, Veer and Surili. The locals, including the fathers of the couple, Daulat Singh and Sukhiram respectively, admit that the couple had killed themselves. After going in depth in his investigation Madhur finds out that the deaths are one of many that have taken place in a region that is still bound by Khap Panchayat. It dictates that couples cannot marry distant relatives nor can they have an inter-caste/inter-religious marriage. As he delves further into this issue, he ends up being attacked, is hospitalized and then subsequently dies. Komal and Ria move in with Madhur's father Omkar Singh Chaudhary (played by Om Puri) and eventually settle down in the village.
Omkar finds out that Ria is in love with fellow-collegian, Kush (played by Sarrtaj Gill), the son of South Africa-based Jagmohan and Saroj Mitter, and arranges their marriage. After the couple return from their honeymoon, they find themselves locked in the same inhumane customs.
- Yuvika Chaudhary as Ria
- Om Puri as Omkar Singh Chaudhary
- Govind Namdeo as Daulat Singh
- Manoj Pahwa as Sukhiram
- Mohnish Bahl as Madhur Chaudhary
- Sarrtaj Gill as Kush J. Mitter
- Alok Nath as Professor
- Anuradha Patel as Komal
- Shammi as Masterni
- Nivedita Tiwari as Surili
- "Khap : Complete Cast and Crew details". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 6 August 2011. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- "Khap to hit theatres on Jul 29". NDTV Movies. 20 July 2011. Archived from the original on 25 September 2012.
- "Essay: Censorship And The State". Frontline. 10–23 September 2011.
- "I am against honour killing: Om Puri". IBN Live. 20 July 2011.