Kharagpur (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Lok Sabha constituency||34. Medinipur|
|Electorate (year)||166,811 (2011)|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 228 Kharagpur (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Kharagpur I community development block, and Banpura, Panchkhuri I, Panchkhuri II, Pathra and Shiromoni gram panchayats of Midnapore Sadar community development block.
|West Bengal assembly elections, 2011: Kharagpur|
|Trinamool Congress||Bilkis Khanam||67,674||45.11||+3.38#|
|BJP||Prabir Kumar Sahu||3,648||2.43|
|People’s Democratic Conference of India||Sk. Samsul Haque||1,394|
.# Swing calculated on Congress+Trinamool Congress vote percentages taken together in 2006.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||2||0|
|Jharkhand Party (Naren)||0||1|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||7||7|
|Communist Party of India||1||1|
Note: Constituency abolished – 1 (See template talk page for details)
Sk. Nazmul Haque of CPI(M) won the Kharagpur Rural assembly seat five times in a row from 1987 to 2006. He defeated Ajit Maity of Trinamool Congress in 2006 and 2001, Ranjit Basu of Congress in 1996, Nirmal Ghosh of Congress in 1991 and Ranjit Basu of Congress in 1987. Sk. Siraj Ali of CPI(M) defeated Deben Das, Independent, in 1982 Deben Das of CPI in 1977. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned.
Between 1957 and 1972 the seat was known as Kharagpur Local. Ajit Kumar Basu of Congress won in 1972 and 1971. Deben Das of CPI won in 1969 and 1967. Mrityunjoy Jana of Congress won in 1962. Kharagpur Local was a dual seat in 1957. It was won by Krishna Prasad Mondal and Mrityunjoy Jana, both of Congress. In independent India’s first election in 1951, Kharagpur had a single seat, which was won by Muhammad Momtaz Moulana of Congress.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Kharagpur". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Kharagpur. Empowering India. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Kharagpur. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "225 - Kharagpur Rural Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- "Statistical Reports of Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-20.