Location of district in Gujarat
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Formerly known as Kaira District, in 1997 it was divided in two with the southern part becoming Anand District. The Charotar region of Kaira consisted of four taluka: Anand, Borsad, Nadiad, and Petlad. When the district was divided, Nadiad Taluka went with Kheda District and the other three with Anand District.
During the struggle for independence in the first half of the 20th century, the Patidars of the Charotar region and other areas in Kaida resisted the British in a number of standoffs, notably the Kaira anti-tax campaign of 1913, the Borsad satyagraha of 1923, and the Bardoli satyagraha of 1928.
According to the 2011 census Kheda district has a population of 2,298,934, roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 197th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 541 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,400/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 12.81%. Kheda has a sex ratio of 937 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 84.31%.
- Govardhanram Tripathi (1855–1907) Novelist. Born in Nadiad.
- Manilal Nabhubhai (1858–1898) Writer and philosopher. Born in Nadiad.
- Ravji Patel (1939–1968) Modernist poet and novelist. Born in Vallavpura village.
- Sardar Patel The Iron Man. Born in Nadiad 
- "History of Anand District". Gujarat Government. Archived from the original on 10 February 2015.
- Heredia, Ruth (1997). The Amul India Story. New Delhi: McGraw-Hill. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-07-463160-7.
- "Gujarat Administrative Divisions 2011" (PDF). Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 October 2011.
- Satyagraha means the nonviolent resistance popularised by Gandhi. Gandhi, Mahatma K. (1951). Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha). New York: Schocken. p. 189–190. OCLC 606004619.
- Heredia 1997, p. 10
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Latvia 2,204,708 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
New Mexico - 2,059,179
- Joshi, S. (1969). "Life against Death: The Poetry of Ravji Patel". Books Abroad. 43 (4): 499–503. JSTOR 40123774. doi:10.2307/40123774.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kheda district.|
|Adjacent places of Kheda district|
||Gandhinagar district||Sabar Kantha district|
|Ahmedabad district||Panchmahal district|
|Anand district||Vadodara district|