Khojali (Azerbaijani: Xocalı), also called Khojaly, Khodjaly and Hojaly, is a rayon in the Nagorno-Karabakh break away region of Azerbaijan, now under the control of armed forces of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. Its capital is Khojali. The region was once a site of prehistoric Khojaly-Gadabay culture. It was the location of the Khojaly Massacre in February 1992. The local government has designated it as Askeran Region.
Khojali region was established on the basis of Askeran region in 1991(November,26) The area of the district was occupied by Armenian forces in 1991-1992. Area : 0,94 thousand km2. Population: 24417 people ( in 1991). 12194 people who are Azerbaijanian ( 2004), the others are 12223 people. There were 1 city, 2 settlements and 50 villages in the district. The center of Khojaly located far 18 km from Agdam city, 14 km from Khankendi city on the chain of the Karabakh is Khojaly city.
The territory of the district is mountainous. The highest altitudes are Qirkhqiz and Gizgala, the main rivers are Gargar and Badara. The climate is mild-hot except the mountainous area.
Historical and cultural monuments
There are a lot of the most ancient architectural and cultural monuments in Khojaly territory. The tower of Asgaran ( XVIII century) was built on the right and left banks of the river "Gargar" between Khojaly city and Asgaran district by Panahali khan of the Karabakh. The peace talks between Russia and Iran held in the tower of "Asgaran" in 1810. There are three cemeteries in the district of Karkijahan, The Albanian church in "Kilsali", cemeteries, remains of the Muslim cemetery, pirs named Albanian, a sacred place - "The grave of Sayyid" ( destroyed by Armenians),"Seven churches" in area of the village "Meshali" , ,four churches of Albanian located in different places.
List of the historical and cultural monuments of Khojaly
- Stone box necropolis - tung period (Asgaran mountain town of Khojaly)
- Necropolis - the first bronze and middle bronze age ( in the south of Khankendi)
- Khojaly mounds - the first tung and iron age (Khojali region)
- Tombs of the necropolis - the middle ages (the territory of the Khankandi)
- Kurgan - Iron age (near Khankendi)
- Khachinchay Necropolis - the first bronze age and middle bronze(Sayidshan village in the northeastern)
- Tombs of the necropolis - tung period (a Pear 2km from the village around Ilis village
- Kurgan - tung period (Pears, a village 15 km from on the banks of the river "Ilis")
- Stone box necropolis - the iron age (Pears, near the village cemetery)
- Old cemetery - tung period (Chanakhchi village)
- Stone box necropolis - the iron age (Sarushen village)
- Stone box necropolis - the iron age (Sarushen village, at the foot of the mountain)
- A circular temple - 1356-1357 (the city of Khojaly)
- Tomb - XIV century (the city of Khojaly)
- Albanian temple - 1100 (Chanakhchi village)
- Albanian temple - 1065 (Chanakhchi village)
- Albanian temple - 905 (Shusha village)
- Albanian temple - 1122 (Xansıx village)
- Albanian temple - 1100 (Khachmaz village)
- Albanian temple - 1202 (Khachmaz village)
- Gala - X century (Mashkhmaat village)
- Forty in middle ages (Badara village)
- Mabad complex - VII century (Badara village)
- Gala - IX century (Dash bash of the village)
- Asgaran tower - XVIII century (the settlement of Asgaran)
- Aslan tower - IX century (Anabert village)
- Madab - XIII century (Khanabad village)
Monuments destroyed by Armenian aggressors
Historic, cultural, religious, monuments, towns and villages, economic facilities of the Khojaly district were destroyed during Armenian aggression.Religious monuments, cemeteries, “Sayid grave" in Meshali, Kosalar and Jamilli, Karkijahan settlement,1 city, 1 settlement, 8 villages, 2495 houses, 31 industrial enterprises, 20 educational institutions, 14 health institutions, 15 agricultural enterprises, 56 enterprises of culture, 5 communication facilities were destroyed by Armenian agressors.
- Ramil Usubov - the current Minister of Internal Affairs of Republic of Azerbaijan.;
- Elman Mammadov - Azerbaijani politician who serves as the Member of National Assembly of Azerbaijan from 124th Shusha-Fizuli-Khojali-Khojavend district. He's a veteran of Nagorno-Karabakh War.
- Alif Hajiyev - Azerbaijani officer, Commandant of Khojaly Airport and National Hero of Azerbaijan.
- Tofig Huseynov - Azerbaijani army commander.
- "Biographies. Ramil Usubov". Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- Elman Mammadov (Autumn 1999). "Running For Our Lives. Massacre and Flight From Khojali". Azerbaijan International: 54–56. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
|This Khojali Rayon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|