Khon Kaen Light Rail Transit
|Owner||Khon Kaen City Development co.,ltd|
|Locale||Khon Kaen, Thailand|
|Transit type||Light rail transit|
|Number of lines||1|
|Number of stations||21|
|Headquarters||Khon Kaen, Thailand|
|Operation will start||2022 (planned)|
|System length||26 km (16 mi)|
|Khon Kaen LRT|
The Khon Kaen Light Rail Transit Project is a planned 22.6km light rail transit system consisting of an initial 16 stations to serve Khon Kaen Province in north-east Thailand. A Phase 2 extension of 3.5km and 5 stations is also planned. The line will have both grade and elevated sections. It is expected to be operational in around 2022. Fares are expected to be a flat 15 baht.
However, in early 2015 Khon Kaen Mayor proposed converting the long North-South Red BRT line into a light rail line as part of Khon Kaen's Smart City development program and to integrate with the future planned North East high speed rail to Nong Khai. By mid 2015, a feasibility study was commissioned for a light rail line. In mid March 2016, the Thai government signed a decree approving the project and provided a budget to complete the feasibility study and design of the project. In March 2017, the Khon Kaen Mayor announced that a private company, Khon Kaen Transit System Co., owned by Khon Kaen City and 4 surrounding municipalities would be established to operate the line.
In July 2017, it was announced that the tender for the project was to be issued and awarded by the end of 2017. However, this did not occur as the feasibility study by Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) evaluating the design and operations had not been completed. The OTP study was completed in February 2018 and the project was formally approved by the government in October 2018.
As of December 2018, bidding on the project is scheduled to commence no later than February 2019, with construction beginning immediately after the process concludes within next year.
|Line||Proposed opening||Terminal||Length [km]||Length [mile]||Stations||Status|
|Red Line||2022||Samran||Tha Phra||22.6||14.0||16||Approved|
|Yellow Line||????||Ban Thum||Bueng Niam||41||25||23||Planned|
|Blue Line||????||VIP Home||Mitr Sampan||22||14||19||Planned|
|Green Line||????||Nam Ton||Sila||32||20||25||Planned|
|Pink Line||????||Circle route||6||3.7||10||Planned|
The LRT line runs on a north-south axis along Mittrarhap Road through the center of Khon Kaen city.
- "Khon Kaen Light Rail Transit Project". Khon Kaen City Development Co. (in Thai).
- "Khon Kaen gears up electric rail project". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Khon Kaen BRT". Archived from the original on 2013-06-17.
- "ธุรกิจขอนแก่นลงขัน"อินฟราฟันด์" ลุย"รถไฟฟ้า-BRT"แก้วิกฤตจราจร".
- "ช.ทวี ดอลลาเซียน หนุนระบบรางเบา TRAM ในขอนแก่น". www.manager.co.th. 23 June 2015. Archived from the original on 2017-09-23. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Khon Kaen rail bids set for year end". Bangkok Post. 24 July 2017.
- "มติ สนข.เห็นชอบโครงการรถไฟฟ้า LRT ขอนแก่น". Thansettajik. 28 February 2018.
- "Khon Kaen in talks over light rail project". Bangkok Post. Bangkok. 3 May 2018.
- "ช ทวี พร้อมประมูลแทรมขอนแก่น". Daily News. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 24 December 2018.