China-Kazakhstan border crossing at Korgas
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||1,900 km2 (700 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard Time)|
Khorgas, officially known as Korgas (simplified Chinese: 霍尔果斯; traditional Chinese: 霍爾果斯; pinyin: Huò'ěrguǒsī, Kazakh: قورعاس, translit. Qorğas), also known as Khorgos, Chorgos and Gorgos, formerly Gongchen (拱宸城), is a Chinese city near the border with Kazakhstan. It is located in the Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. The city on the Kazakh side of the border is also known as Khorgas (Kazakh: Қорғас, قورغاس, Qorğas; Russian: Хоргос, Khorgos; the train station there is Altynkol (Russian: Алтынколь).
Passenger trains from Ürümqi (started on July 1, 2010), however, initially only ran to Yining, and not all the way to Khorgas. One of the daily Ürümqi-Yining passenger trains was extended to Khorgas in December 2013. The travel time from Khorgos to Yining is just over an hour.
In December 2011, a 293-km railway from the Khorgas border crossing to Zhetygen terminal (near Almaty) was completed; the tracks from the Chinese and Kazakhstan sides of the borders were connected on December 2, 2012. For some months, the railway on the Kazakh side was still operating in a test mode. The railway border crossing (port of entry) at Khorgas became operational in the late 2012;) the first regular trains from the two countries crossed the border on December 22, 2012.
The railway border crossing is expected to handle up to 15 million tons of freight per year initially, the volume rising to 30 million tons per year in the long run, opening up the second Europe-China rail link via Kazakhstan.
- Victory of Khorgos
- The official spelling according to Zhōngguó dìmínglù 中国地名录 (Beijing, SinoMaps Press 中国地图出版社 1997); ISBN 7-5031-1718-4
- "Xingjiang's first electrified railway rails laid". People's Daily Online. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Zhaoqian, ed. (2010-06-22). "Tickets of train from Urumqi to Yining put on sale". Tianshannet. Archived from the original on 2012-02-29. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Xinjiang's first electrified railway passenger train". China Central Television. 2010-07-07. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- 霍尔果斯往乌鲁木齐方向首趟客运列车正式开通 (The first Khorgas-Ürümqi passenger train started regular operations), 2013-12-26
- 写在中国霍尔果斯至哈萨克斯坦阿腾科里铁路通车运营之际, 2012-12-23
- Хоргос-Жетыген: уже летом первые поезда соединят Китай с Европой (Already this summer first trains will connect China with Europe), 2012-03-16 (in Russian)
- 新疆霍尔果斯火车站获批成立 年底有望通车 Archived 2013-07-29 at the Wayback Machine, 中国新闻网, 2012-11-23
- Revival of the Silk Road
- Shepard, Wade (2017-02-20), "Khorgos: The New Silk Road's Central Station Comes To Life", Forbes blogs
- 今夏可坐火车去哈萨克斯坦游玩 (This summer, one can visit Kazakhstan by train)