|Province||Province No. 1|
|• Type||Coordination committee|
|• Body||DCC, Khotang|
|• Head||Mr. Kamal Bhim Raj Khadka|
|• Deputy-Head||Mrs. Indra Kala Khadka|
|• Parliamentary constituencies||1|
|• Provincial constituencies||2|
|• Total||1,591 km2 (614 sq mi)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:45 (NPT)|
Khotang District (Nepali: खोटाङ जिल्लाListen (help·info)) is one of 14 districts of Province No. 1 of eastern Nepal. The district, with Diktel as its district headquarters, covers an area of 1,591 km2 (614 sq mi) and has a population (2011) of 206,312. Khotang is part of the area traditionally called Majh Kirat (middle Kirat /Khambuwan), home to indigenous ethnic Kirat Rai people. Apart from Rais, other ethnic groups and hill castes live in Khotang. The main languages are Kirat Rai Chamling language or Kirat Rai languages and Khas Nepali.
Geography and climate
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000 ft)||0.7%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
|Subtropical||1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.
|Temperate||2,000 to 3,000 meters
6,400 to 9,800 ft.
|Subalpine||3,000 to 4,000 meters
9,800 to 13,100 ft.
At the time of the 2011 Nepal census, Khotang District had a population of 206,312. Of these, 50.1% spoke Nepali, 16.5% Chamling, 4.4% Magar, 3.9% Tamang, 3.7% Bantawa, 3.5% Sampang, 2.7% Newari, 2.5% Dumi, 2.2% Puma, 1.9% Thulung, 1.5% Wambule, 1.3% Nachhiring, 0.9% Koch, 0.8% Rai, 0.6% Sherpa, 0.5% Tilung and 0.5% Khaling as their first language.
- Diktel Rupakot Majhuwagadhi
- Halesi Tuwachung
Former Village Development Committees
- Ainselu Kharka
- Badka Dipali
- Bhim Raj Khadka
- Biraj Khadka
- Damarkhu Shivalaya
- Diktel Municipality
- Dorpa Chiuridanda
- Dumre Dharapani
- Iraj Khadka
- Indra Kala Khadka
- Kamal Khadka
- Khotang Bazar
- Lichki Ramche
- Linkuwa Pokhari
- Mattim Birta
- Pooja Karki Khadka
- Rakha Bangdel
- Rakha Dipsung
- Ratancha Majhagaun
- Ribdung Jaleshwari
- Ribdung Maheshwari
- Santeshwar Chhitapokhari
- Yuvraj Khadka
- Household and population by districts, Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) Nepal Archived 2013-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system (PDF), . Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7903-210-9, retrieved November 22, 2013
- 2011 Nepal Census, Social Characteristics Tables
- "स्थानिय तह" (in Nepali). Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Districts of Nepal". Statoids.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Khotang District.|
|This Nepalese location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|