|Nickname(s): Phosphate City|
|• Mayor||Charki El Ghanmi (Justice and Development Party, 2015)|
|• Governor||Abdellatif Chadali (2012)|
|• Total||52 km2 (20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||786 m (2,579 ft)|
|• Density||4,083.46/km2 (10,576.1/sq mi)|
|• Rank||16th in Morocco|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||WEST (UTC+1)|
Khouribga (Berber: ⵅⵯⵔⵉⴱⴳⴰ, Arabic: خريبكة) is the capital of Khouribga Province in the Béni Mellal-Khénifra region of Morocco. With a population of 196,196 (2014), Khouribga owes its growth to the phosphate deposits nearby. Khouribga was also a large site of colonial French settlement, with many houses still standing today in the city.
Khouribga is located 820 meters above sea level on the Ouardigha plateau. The city was founded in 1923 by the authorities of the French protectorate when they discovered phosphate in the region, for which Morocco is considered to be the biggest exporter in the world. There are several mines in the province, most notably the mine of Sidi Shennan near the town of Oued Zem, which lies 30 km from the village of Boulanouar (5 km) and the town of Boujniba (10 km) and the village of Hattane.
The Province of Khouribga has a large phosphate reserve estimated 35 to 40 billion cubic meters, which is ranked first at the national level. Also Khouribga is one of the cities that brings hard currency and that is due to its community residents from Italy.
Regardless of phosphate mining, the province knew the emergence of other industries in various economic sectors:
The province has three Industrial zones:
- The industrial zone of Khouribga (industrial district): 20 hectares (234 partitions) and 13 operating industrial units plus the expansion of the zone.
- The industrial zone of Oued Zem.
- The industrial zone of Bejaad.
The province has several services, among them:
- 25 bank agencies
- 6 insurance agencies
- 7 travel agencies
- 2 railways with daily trips with a project to build a modern station.
- Goats: 30.000-60.000 heads
- Equidae: 40.000-60.000 heads
- Cows: 50.000-70.000 heads
- Sheep: 500.000-600.000 heads
The facilities cover most of the province with:
- 6 rooms
- 3 provincial hospitals
- 20 health centers
- 7 urban health centers
- 9 rural clinics
- Gafsa, Tunisia
- Alcamo, Italy
- Napoli, Italy
- Poznań, Poland
- Nablus, Palestine
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Reno, Nevada, United States
- Alfred Beaugé (1878-1935), founder of the city.
- Bouchaïb Laurens, former mayor of Khouribga (1975-2005), entrepreneur, deputy and chairman of the town planning committee in the parliament.
- M'Hammed ben Omar, General Anh Ma, communist combatant in the First Indochina War.
- Koudri "Dzairi" Elhaj Ben Azouz, resistance fighter, disappeared after the 1972 events.
- Hindi Zahra, International singer.
- Hind Dehiba, née Chahyd on March 17, 1979 in Khouribga, a Moroccan-French middle-distance runner.