|Taxila–Khunjerab Railway Line
ٹیکسلا - خنجراب مرکزی راه آهن خط
|Other name(s)||Khunjerab Railway|
|Line length||682 km (424 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Operating speed||105 km/h (65 mph) (Current)
160 km/h (99 mph) (Proposed)
Taxila–Khunjerab Railway Line (Urdu: ٹیکسلا - خنجراب مرکزی راه آهن خط), also known as Khunjerab Railway or Karakoram Railway, is one of several proposed railway lines in Pakistan, to be operated and maintained by Pakistan Railways. The current active line begins from Taxila Junction station and ends at Havelian station. A proposed extension will see new track laid from Havelian station to the Pakistan-China border town of Khunjerab where it will link up with China's Kashgar–Hotan Railway.
In 2007, consultants were engaged to investigate the construction of a railway through the Khunjerab Pass in Gilgit-Baltistan to connect China Railway with Pakistan Railways. A feasibility study started in November 2009 for a line connecting Havelian and Kashgar. 750 km (466 mi) of the line would extend through Pakistan, while the remaining 350 km (217 mi) in China. In June 2014, China commissioned a "preliminary research study" to build an international rail link to Pakistan. The 682 km proposed railway link would be part of the China–Pakistan Economic Corridor, and will commence construction during the second phase of CPEC between 2018-2022. China's involvement in several rail projects in Pakistan is motivated primarily by commercial considerations, but it also sees distinct advantages for its improved transportation and access to Central Asia and the Persian Gulf states.
The stations on this line are as follows:
- Taxila Cantonment Junction
- Usman Khattar
- Mohra Shah Wali
- Kot Najib Ullah
- Haripur Hazara
- Serai Saleh
Pakistan awarded a Rs72 million (US$1.2 million) contract to an international consortium to carry out a feasibility study for establishing a rail link with China to boost trade relations between the two countries.
- Pakistan Railways: A Performance Analysis - Citizens’ Periodic Reports on the Performance of State Institutions (PDF). Islamabad: PILDAT. December 2015. p. 21. ISBN 978-969-558-589-4. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 24, 2016. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- Pakistan Railways Time & Fare Table 2015 (PDF) (in English and Urdu) (October 2015 ed.). Pakistan: National Book Foundation. pp. 94–99. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 18, 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Hotan railway open
- Syed Fazl-e-Haider (February 24, 2007). "China-Pakistan rail link on horizon". Online Asia Times: South Asia.
- "Kashi, China". Global Gazetteer Version 2.2. Falling Rain Genomics. 1996–2010.
- China tables railway project linking to Pakistan
- "Railway line to be laid from Havelian to Khunjerab under CPEC: Rashid". Radio Pakistan. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- "New railway line to be laid from Havelian to Khunjrab: Khawaja". Business Recorder. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- "Pak-China likely to ink MoU for rail link". www.dawn.com. 2010-07-06. Retrieved 2016-06-18.