|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|District Government Khushab Official Website|
Khushab (Urdu: خُوشاب) is a city as well as a district in the Punjab province of Pakistan. The word Khushab means "sweet water." Khushab city also serves as the headquarters of Khushab Tehsil, an administrative subdivision of the district Khushab.
The population according to the 1901 census was 11,403.
"Khushab" is a combination of two Persian words: khush (Persian: خوش), meaning "sweet or tasty", and aab (Persian: آب), meaning "water". A common belief is that the Persians from the west first used the word khush-aab in admiration of the sweet and tasty water found in the historical city situated on the bank of Jhelum River. In time the city became known as Khushab.
Khushab Nuclear Complex
On 21 March 2000, The Christian Science Monitor published an article written by Alexander Colhoun, in which a high-resolution aerial satellite photo revealed a nuclear reactor, Khushab Nuclear Complex and a missile base in the city of Khushab. These pictures had mixed views, one of the expression of power that could shackle or reshape diplomatic landscapes of a region and another of the ethical question about the usage of satellite imagery in terms of privacy and national sovereignty of a nuclear-capable nation. The report was published at a time when American President Bill Clinton was due to visit India, and it sparked concerns worldwide. According to a more recent ISIS analysis of imaging, the Khushab Nuclear Complex has four heavy water reactors and a heavy water production plant. Moreover, the plutonium produced in this site as reported by a Pakistani official is prepared to build small, short range nuclear weapons such as tactical nuclear-tipped missiles.
- World Gazetteer estimate (1 January 2006)
- Tehsil statistics (Government of Pakistan, Statistics Division) Archived 30 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Tehsils & Unions in the District of Khushab - Government of Pakistan Archived 24 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Special Weapons Program of Pakistan, Federation of American Scientists website
- Shahzeb Jillani, "South Asia arms race - is it paranoia?", BBC News, 25 July 2006
- Khushāb Town in Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 15, p. 298.
- "District Courts Khushab". Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Top-Secret Kodak Moment In Space Shakes Global Security", The Christian Science Monitor, 21 March 2000