KiHa 283 series
|KiHa 283 series|
KiHa 283 series on a Super Hokuto service, June 2001
|Manufacturer||Fuji Heavy Industries|
|Number built||63 vehicles|
|Number in service||57 vehicles|
|Number scrapped||6 vehicles (accident damage)|
|Formation||5-9 cars per trainset|
|Line(s) served||Hakodate Main Line, Nemuro Main Line, Sekishō Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||21,300 mm (69 ft 11 in)|
|Width||2,840 mm (9 ft 4 in)|
|Height||4,050 mm (13 ft 3 in)|
|Doors||1 per side|
|Maximum speed||130 km/h (80 mph)|
|Prime mover(s)||N-DMF11HZA (355 hp) x2 per car|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The KiHa 283 series (キハ283系) is a tilting diesel multiple unit (DMU) train type operated by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido) on limited express services in Hokkaido, Japan, since 1997. They were based on the KiHa 281 series trains introduced in 1994.
KiHa 283 series trainsets are used on the following services.
- Super Ōzora services between Sapporo and Kushiro, since 22 March 1997
- Super Hokuto services between Hakodate and Sapporo, since April 1998
- Super Tokachi services between Sapporo and Obihiro, since 11 March 2000
2011 Sekishō Line derailment and fire
On 27 May 2011, a 6-car KiHa 283 series train was destroyed by fire after it derailed and made an emergency stop inside the 685 metre-long No. 1 Niniu Tunnel on the Sekishō Line in Shimukappu, Hokkaidō, at around 21:55, while forming the Super Ōzora 14 service from Kushiro to Sapporo. The train was formed as follows, with car 1 at the Kushiro end. All cars were gutted by fire, and were officially withdrawn on 30 June 2011.
|Number||KiHa 283-1||KiHa 282-3001||KiRo 282-7||KiHa 282-1||KiHa 282-101||KiHa 283-9|
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. pp. 452–453. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Haraguchi, Takayuki (2009). Encyclopedia of JR's Railway Cars: JR全車輌. Japan: Sekai Bunka. p. 111. ISBN 978-4-418-09905-4.
- 石勝線清風山信号場構内で発生した列車脱線事故について [Details of Sekisho Line Derailment] (pdf). Press release (in Japanese). Japan: Hokkaido Railway Company. 28 May 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- 事業改善命令・改善指示に対する報告について [Report on Corporate Improvement Directions] (pdf). Press release (in Japanese). Japan: Hokkaido Railway Company. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- JR電車編成表 2012冬 [JR EMU Formations - Winter 2012]. Japan: JRR. October 2011. p. 359. ISBN 978-4-330-25611-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KiHa 283 series.|
- JR Hokkaido KiHa 283 Super Ōzora train information (in Japanese)
- JR Hokkaido KiHa 281/283 Super Hokuto train information (in Japanese)
- JR Hokkaido KiHa 261/283 Super Tokachi train information (in Japanese)