Ki & Ka
|Ki & Ka|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||R. Balki|
R K Damani
|Written by||R. Balki|
Yo Yo Honey Singh
|Cinematography||P. C. Sreeram|
|Edited by||Chandan Arora|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Box office||₹102.33 crore|
Ki & Ka (English: She & He) is a 2016 Indian romantic comedy film written, directed, and produced by R. Balki. The film follows a young, married couple contradicting the gender roles placed upon women and men in Indian society. It stars Kareena Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor.
The film released worldwide on 1 April 2016. Made on a budget of ₹200 million (US$3.0 million) the film has earned over ₹1.02 billion (US$15 million) worldwide.
Kia (Kareena Kapoor) is a motivated, driven woman who aims to become successful in the business world, and also wishes that more women aspire to prosper in their careers. Kabir (Arjun Kapoor) is the laid back son of a successful building constructor (Rajit Kapoor), who does not wish to take over his father's company or inherit his wealth.
The pair meet, quickly become friends, and gradually fall in love. They realise that Kabir's preference to stay at home fits perfectly with Kia's wish to climb up the corporate ladder. The couple marry and establish a relationship where Kabir handles the daily household affairs, while Kia is the main breadwinner. Kia rises quickly in her career, and she is soon interviewed about her success. During the interview, Kia mentions her 'unusual' marriage and her husband's role in their household. The interviewer is impressed by this, and requests a meeting with Kabir. While being questioned, Kabir explains that it does not matter if ki (feminine) takes up the role of ka (masculine), and ka takes up the role of ki.
The interview is very well received and Kabir is asked to hold many more seminars and speeches on Gender Equality and modern marriages. Kabir's busy schedule causes a strain in the marriage, causing Kia to become jealous of her husbands new found fame. She accuses Kabir of using their relationship to get recognition and publicity, and asks him to stop making public appearances.
While Kia is in the US, attending a work event, Kabir is invited to his college reunion,and is pressured by a friend into giving another interview, which is broadcast on TV. Film actress Jaya Bachchan sees this interview, and asks her husband, superstar Amitabh Bachchan to call Kabir and organise a meeting with him. Jaya is highly impressed with the story of the couples unconventional marriage. Kia receives news of this meeting while in the US, causing more arguments between her and Kabir. Meanwhile, Kia's mother (Swaroop Sampat) is taken to the hospital after collapsing, causing her to rush back to India.
Once back home, Kia accuses Kabir of using her, saying that he used their relationship for his own profit. Kia further condemns Kabir for gaining fame without working, as she feels that her hard work and successful career are going unnoticed. Dejected, Kabir does not defend himself and starts packing to leave. Kia comes across a gift that Jaya gave to Kabir for his wife, and also a letter written by the actress, in which she congratulates the pair and says that to be a man who maintains a household rather than work is a brave choice, but to be the wife of such a man is an even harder choice. Kia's mother also confronts her about her jealousy, and says that it is the reason for the couples many fights. Kia realizes that she has been unfairly tough on Kabir and apologizes to him for her behavior and temperament. The couple reconcile and find a happy compromise. Kabir's father, who has come to appreciate Kia's business acumen and drive, decides to make her the CEO of his company.
- Kareena Kapoor as Kia Bansal
- Arjun Kapoor as Kabir Bansal
- Swaroop Sampat as Kia's Mother
- Rajit Kapur as Kabir's Father
- Amitabh Bachchan as Himself (special appearance)
- Jaya Bachchan as Herself (special appearance)
Balki finished the script in July 2015. The film derives its title from linguistic gender divisions of the Hindi language found in the words "ladki" and "ladka" meaning "girl" and "boy". He said, ""In Hindi not just human beings but also nonliving objects have gender. Everybody and everything is categorised. But this film, like the couple's marriage, underlines the fact that Ki and Ka as genders don't matter."
Ki & Ka has followed a similar path to Kapoor & Sons on day one and has seen a pick up in the evening and will finish with similar collections. It could go a little higher due to the slightly wider release. The early estimate is around ₹6.75 crore (US$1.0 million) nett. The film managed to pick up in the evening in the evening to record collections of ₹7.25 crore (US$1.1 million) approximately on the first day. The film earned ₹8.25 crore (US$1.2 million) on second day. The film earned ₹9.25 crore (US$1.4 million) on third day. The film had a decent weekend though the trend was not great for a content urban film. A further push on Saturday would have benefited the film tremendously. It is the third highest weekend of 2016. The weekend business of Ki & Ka is ₹24.75 crore (US$3.7 million).Ki & Ka had the normal Monday drop of around 50%. A ₹3.50 crore (US$520,000) nett plus Monday is reasonable for the film. Ki & Ka held very well on 5th day with a very limited drop of around 6-7%, film earned ₹3.25 crore (US$480,000) on 5th day. The film had a decent first week of ₹37 crore (US$5.5 million) nett apprx in India. The film earned ₹39 crore (US$5.8 million) in eight days.
|Ki & Ka|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||25 February 2016|
Meet Bros Recording Studio, Mumbai|
Prasad Studio, Chennai
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
|Singles from Ki and Ka|
The soundtrack album features songs composed by Meet Bros for the T-Series label besides having an original song composed by Balki's regular collaborator Ilaiyaraaja, who has also composed the background score of the movie.
|1.||"High Heels"||Kumaar, Yo Yo Honey Singh||Meet Bros, Yo Yo Honey Singh||Jaz Dhami, Yo Yo Honey Singh, Aditi Singh Sharma||03:32|
|2.||"Ji Huzoori"||Sayeed Quadri||Mithoon||Mithoon, Deepali Sathe||05:26|
|3.||"Most Wanted Munda"||Kumaar||Meet Bros||Meet Bros, Earl Edgar||03:28|
|4.||"Foolishq"||Amitabh Bhattacharya||Ilaiyaraaja||Shreya Ghoshal, Armaan Malik||04:29|
|5.||"Pump It (The Workout Song)"||Kumaar||Meet Bros||Meet Bros, Yash Narvekar||03:59|
|6.||"Kabir Most Wanted Munda"||Kumaar||Meet Bros||Meet Bros, Palak Muchhal, Arjun Kapoor||03:10|
Critic Rajeev Masand rated the film 2/5, writing, "Ki & Ka arrives with a curious premise, but Balki fails to flesh it out into an engaging film. I was especially pleased to see Kareena Kapoor sink her teeth into a solid role after what seems like an eternity. Arjun Kapoor deserves credit for taking a role that few male stars would, but both actors are let down by the inert writing." Anupama Chopra also rated it 2/5. She reasoned that "One of the enduring problems with Balki’s films persists — his crackling concept runs out of steam. It’s almost as if he spends so much of his creative energy coming up with the high-wire idea that he has none left to flesh out the narrative around it." Bollywood Hungama gave the film 3 stars out of 5, and stated, "On the whole, Ki & Ka is a cleverly crafted feel-good film that packs all the emotions. Though it has strong performances by both Arjun and Kareena, the film is bound to draw extreme reactions from the orthodox audiences who may find the premise difficult to digest. It is an urban progressive film and should appeal more to women and young married couples."  Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film 2 stars and termed it as "rocky" while commenting that "The film is fun when it is setting up the roles. But the execution, as it goes along, gets rocky. Much of it stays episodic, and starts reinforcing the very stereotypes it set out to negate. The problem is the film’s unwillingness to go the mile. She also noted that it could have been more "sharper" and "deeper". Rohit Vats from Hindustan Times gave the film a rating of 2.5 and noted that film has a lot of drama and summarized, "There is no denying that Ki & Ka has a noble concept, but hasn’t the director very conveniently confined himself to a comfort zone where he only needs to break some generalised stereotypes such as ‘women can’t be ambitious’ or ‘men can’t cook at home’ or ‘a woman’s career is finished after pregnancy’? Ki & Ka isn’t a strong voice against gender stereotyping, but it’s one of its kind in mainstream Hindi film industry, and that makes it notice-worthy." Meena Iyer of The Times of India gave the film 4 stars and stated, "Kareena is terrific, Arjun, endearing. But Balki's writing is inconsistent. A few scenes leave you misty-eyed, but for the most part, the stock situations are banal. Yet, Ki and Ka is worth a ticket because it tells shows how there is nothing wrong with the man wearing the apron and the women wearing her ambition."
Sukanya Verma of Rediff.com gave it 2.5 stars while noting, "Ki & Ka is obviously taken in by its liberal notions but fails to realise that it’s not so uncommon in today’s urban context where lots of working men and women share both their professional and personal duties." Sarita A Tanwar of Daily News & Analysis gave it 2.5 stars and described the film as "stretched" and "cheesy" but also called it "a daring film" while interpreting it as "The best thing about the film is that it questions gender roles that we impose on ourselves and each other. But, the film loses momentum mid-way. The idea is stretched too thin and the climax is cheesy. It's enjoyable when it's not trite. You might take to it if you are the sort that enjoys clichés." Pallavi Patra from Zee News gave it 2 stars and mentioned it as "trite enterprise" while summarizing the film as "Ki & Ka is a seemingly funny enterprise with a feminist theme gone awry. It's not the theme that is at trouble here but a laid-back script coupled with an ostensibly manufactured chemistry between its promising leads. Watch it or not, Ki & Ka prefix will enjoy its dominance over the youth – but cinematic wise – not a good picture here" Saibal Chatterjee from NDTV gave the film 2 stars and called it "intermittently watchable". He noted, "A concept film that has a lot to say - Ki And Ka actually succeeds in getting a few of its points in edgewise - but the writing is below-par. As a consequence, Ki And Ka is like a string of patched-together monosyllables that never attain sustained coherence. Too much talk and very little plot progression put the skids under the film. Ki And Ka goes belly up pretty quickly never to recover fully." Ananya Bhattacharya of India Today gave a low rating of 1.5 and summarized it as "good germs of film spoilt by bad execution" and mentioned, "he film tries so hard to be what it is not that it loses way badly. The writing is not a field which Ki And Ka excels in. The film, for most part, feels like a rehearsal of sorts. Both Arjun and Kareena look like they are mouthing sharp, one-tone dialogues to impress the conductor of this out-of-tune opera that is Ki And Ka. The ping-pong dialogue-delivery between Arjun and Kareena is a major dampener." Anna M.M. Vetticad from Firstpost also criticised the film as "fun concept spoilt by patchy plot" while stating "Large swathes of Ki & Ka are fun, considerable sections of it are unexpectedly broad-minded, path-breaking for Bollywood and insightful. The problem is that we can section it off in this fashion. Ultimately, what fails the film is its mixed messaging and choppy texture."
|Award||Date of Ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|B4U Viewers Choice Awards||2017||Best Actress||Kareena Kapoor||Won|||
|Lux Golden Rose Awards||2017||Glamorous Diva Of The Year||Kareena Kapoor||Won|
- "KI & KA (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. 29 March 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Box Office: Worldwide Collections of Ki & Ka". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Genders don't matter in 'Ki and Ka', says R Balki". Times of India.
- "Bridging The Gender Gap". Mumbai Mirror.
- "Not 'Ka & Ki', Kareena Kapoor-Arjun Kapoor's film titled 'Ki And Ka'". DNA India.
- "Amitabh Bachchan to make special appearance in R Balki's next". The Indian Express.
- "Ki & Ka First Day Early Estimate". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka First Day Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka Day Two Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka Has Decent Weekend". Box Office India. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka Monday Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka Holds Firm On Tuesday". Box Office India. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Ki & Ka Has Decent First Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "Jungle Book Excellent Day One - Ki & Ka Decent Hold - Box Office India". Box Office India. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Ilayaraja's sense of music is unmatched: R Balki". deccanchronicle.com.
- "Ki and Ka music looks and sounds very appetizing". Bollywood Hungama. 18 February 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Ki & Ka (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP by Mithoon, Yo Yo Honey Singh, Ilaiyaraaja & Meet Bros on iTunes". Itunes Store. Retrieved 25 February 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Masand, Rajeev. "'Ki & Ka' review: Film arrives with curious premise, but Balki fails to flesh it out into an engaging film". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Chopra, Anupama. "Ki & Ka review: Kareena Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor in a bumpy ride". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- Bollywood Hungama News Network. "Ki & Ka Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Gupta, Shubhra. "Ki and Ka movie review: Arjun Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor starrer film's execution gets rocky". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Vats, Rohit. "Ki & Ka review: Arjun, Kareena's film doesn't break any stereotypes". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Iyer, Meena. "Ki & Ka Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Verma, Sukanya. "Ki & Ka Review: Ace idea, average execution!". Rediff. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Tanwar, Sarita A. "'Ki and Ka' review: Arjun and Kareena's film is enjoyable when it stays away from clichés". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Patra, Pallavi. "Ki & Ka movie review: Kareena Kapoor Khan, Arjun Kapoor's gender swap flick is a trite enterprise". Zee News. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Chatterjee, Saibal. "Ki And Ka Movie Review". NDTV. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Bhattacharya, Ananya. "Ki And Ka movie review: Kareena and Arjun's bland role-reversal drama". India Today. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Vetticad, Anna M.M. "'Ki & Ka' review: Liberal, fun concept helmed by Arjun, Kareena but spoilt by patchy plot". Firstpost. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "62nd Filmfare Awards 2017: Complete winners' list - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-16.