Advani at the promotions of 'Fugly' in Ahmedabad.
31 July 1992
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Parent(s)||Geneviève Jaffrey (mother)
Jagdeep Advani (father)
|Relatives||Juhi Chawla (aunt)|
Kiara Advani (born Alia Advani; 31 July 1992) is an Indian film actress, who appears in Bollywood films. She made her debut in Grazing Goat Pictures' 2014 comedy drama film, Fugly opposite newcomer Mohit Marwah, Vijender Singh, Arfi Lamba and Jimmy Shergill. The film, which released on 13 June 2014, is directed by Kabir Sadanand and produced by Ashvini Yardi and Alka Bhatia.
Early life and background
Kiara Advani was born (as Alia Advani) on 31 July 1992, the daughter of Jagdeep Advani, a businessman, by his wife Geneviève Jaffrey. She has a younger brother, Mishaal (born September 1995). Kiara's father is a Sindhi Hindu, while her mother, raised a Catholic, is the daughter of Hameed Jaffrey, a Muslim gentleman, by his first wife Valerie Salway, a woman of Scottish, Irish, Portuguese and Spanish ancestry.
Kiara was born with certain connections to the Hindi film industry: her maternal grandfather, Hameed Jaffrey, was the brother of the character actor Saeed Jaffrey. Hameed Jaffrey's second wife (Kiara's step-grandmother), who he married after being divorced from Valerie Salway, was Bharati Patel, eldest daughter of the veteran actor Ashok Kumar. This is Kiara's only connection with Ashok Kumar and the Ganguly family, and she is not his grand-daughter, as is often rumoured. Nor is she related by blood to the actress Anuradha Patel, who is Bharati Patel's daughter by an earlier marriage. Kiara is distantly related to the actress Juhi Chawla also.
Kiara's mother Geneviève had a sister, Shaheen Jaffrey, who once worked as a model and briefly dated the future superstar Salman Khan - indeed, she is said to have been his first girlfriend. Salman Khan took avuncular interest in Kiara's career progression and expended effort in guiding Kiara when she first entered the film industry. It was reportedly at his behest that Advani changed her name from 'Alia' to 'Kiara.'
Advani said that her father, only after watching the 2009 film 3 Idiots, allowed his kids to pursue a career in whatever they were passionate about. Before pursuing a career in film, Advani did two short courses in acting at Anupam Kher's school of acting and Roshan Taneja's institute as well.
Advani made her acting debut in Kabir Sadanand's comedy drama film, Fugly, opposite newcomer Mohit Marwah, Vijender Singh, Arfi Lamba and Jimmy Shergill. The film, described by the director as a "social thriller [film] with a message", released on 13 June 2014, to mainly mixed reviews. For her performance however, Advani received generally positive reviews, with Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama saying she "catches you completely unaware" and has the "combination of looks and talent". Mehul S Thakkar of Deccan Chronicle noted her performance as being "very striking" and said she "shows a lot of promise", along with praising her versatility and range as an actor. Despite this, Suprateek Chatterjee of First Post criticized Advani, calling her "especially bad" and "still very self-conscious in front of the camera".
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2016||M. S. Dhoni: The Untold Story||Sakshi Singh Dhoni||Hindi||Filming|
- "Kiara Alia Advani on Twitter". Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- Kiara Advani (23 July 2014). "hey guys, so I believe it's been misprinted on wiki.. My birthday is on the 31st of July! :)". Twitter. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Singh, Prashant (2 June 2014). "Salman Khan ensures Bollywood doesn't get another Alia". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- Kiara Advani to play Sakshi Dhoni in MS Dhoni-The Untold Story!
- Agrawal, Stuti (26 May 2014). "Having a film background can only get you to meet the right people: Kiara Advani". Times of India. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (5 May 2014). "My father saw '3 Idiots' and decided to let me do what I wanted to: Kiara Advani". Times of India. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Yeh Fugly Fugly kya hai? | The Lucknow Observer". lucknowobserver.com. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- "Gene Junction: Kiara Alia Advani". Verve Magazine. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "The ex-girlfriend connection: Kiara Advani is Salman Khan's first girlfriend Shaheen Jaffrey's niece". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (13 June 2014). "Movie Review: 'Fugly' (2014)". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Mehul S Thakkar (13 June 2014). "Movie Review 'Fugly': Raises disturbing and thought provoking questions". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Suprateek Chatterjee (13 June 2014). "Fugly review: Atrocious mish-mash of Rang De Basanti and Shaitan". First Post. Retrieved 15 June 2014.