Kicking a Dead Pig: Mogwai Songs Remixed
|Kicking a Dead Pig|
|Remix album by Mogwai|
Kicking a Dead Pig is a remix album from Scottish band Mogwai consisting of remixes of previously released tracks (primarily from Young Team) by various artists, including Alec Empire, My Bloody Valentine, and Max Tundra.
The album was originally released in 1998 on the label Eye-Q, who shortly went bust. The album then became relatively hard to find, until "the master tapes mysteriously appeared on Chemikal Underground's doorstep". The album was then re-released on the Chemikal Underground label in 2001, with an additional two tracks forming the basis for a second CD of Mogwai Fear Satan remixes, from My Bloody Valentine, and μ-Ziq.
In 1998, the album was licensed by Eye-Q to the now defunct label, Jetset. The version Jetset released contained all of the Mogwai Fear Satan remixes on a second disc.
This track list corresponds to the 1998 double CD release. Single CD and double/triple vinyl releases also exist.
Disc one: Kicking a Dead Pig
- "Like Herod" (Hood remix) – 6:54
- "Helicon 2" (Max Tundra remix) – 7:19
- "Summer" (Klute's Weird Winter remix) – 6:31
- "Gwai on 45" (Arab Strap remix) – 8:26
- "A Cheery Wave from Stranded Youngsters" (Third Eye Foundation Tet Offensive remix) – 5:06
- "Like Herod" (Alec Empire's Face the Future remix) – 5:06
- "R U Still In 2 It?" (DJ Q remix) – 8:15
- "Tracy" (Kid Loco's Playing with the Young Team remix) – 8:32
- "Mogwai Fear Satan" (Mogwai remix, LP version) – 9:55
Disc two: Mogwai Fear Satan remixes
- "Mogwai Fear Satan" (Mogwai remix) – 9:48
- "Mogwai Fear Satan" (μ-Ziq remix) – 7:23
- "Mogwai Fear Satan" (Surgeon remix) – 6:25
- "Mogwai Fear Satan" (My Bloody Valentine remix) – 16:10
- Berman, Stuart (November 27, 2012). "Mogwai - A Wrenched and Virile Lore". Pitchfork. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
But despite its impressive cast and elaborate double-CD presentation, Dead Pig ultimately sounded like random attempts at applying Mogwai's metallic noise to the darker strains of electronic music of the era (drill and bass, digital hardcore), to the point of using its entire second disc to determine who could produce the most gonzo version of the band’s epic signature track "Mogwai Fear Satan". (Shields' titanic take won in a landslide.)
- "Kicking a Dead Pig on Chemikal Underground".
- "Kicking a Dead Pig listing at CD Universe".
- "Kicking A Dead Pig: Mogwai Songs Remixed + Mogwai Fear Satan Remixes at Discogs".