Kickstart My Heart
|"Kickstart My Heart"|
|Single by Mötley Crüe|
|from the album Dr. Feelgood|
|B-side||"She Goes Down"|
|Released||November 20, 1989|
|Mötley Crüe singles chronology|
The song was written by Nikki Sixx about a 1987 drug overdose in which he was declared clinically dead before being revived by cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Sixx described having an out-of-body experience during the overdose on Behind the Music. The EMT who administered both shots was a Mötley Crüe fan. The overdose occurred while Guns N' Roses and Mötley Crüe toured together. While the overdose took place in Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash's hotel room, Slash has stated that he had nothing to do with Sixx's overdose, and that Slash's girlfriend got Sixx the help he needed.
The video clip was shot in the Whisky a Go Go on October 5, 1989 during Mötley Crüe's warm up show before embarking on the Dr. Feelgood Tour. Sam Kinison is featured at the start of the video in a short cameo as the band's driver.
Kickstart My Heart '11
In tribute for their fans, Mötley Crüe made a new video for the song which included multiple clips from their US tour with Poison and New York Dolls. The video was shot by Bobby HeWitt. Soon after the band issued the following statement: "We documented the whole tour, top to bottom (the good, the bad and the ugly) and as we were looking through all the amazing footage, we thought how cool it would be to cut together a 'best of visual' for the fans who made this tour happen. This one is just for the fans, from us."
Kickstart My Heart '12
On February 5, 2012, "Kickstart My Heart" was featured in a commercial for Kia Motors during halftime at Super Bowl XLVI. This commercial also featured Brazilian model Adriana Lima, Pittsburgh Steeler Brett Keisel and ex-UFC fighter Chuck Liddell.
Released as the album's second single in 1989, "Kickstart My Heart" reached #27 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States. The introduction is a classic example of a Floyd Rose bridge trick, in which Mick Mars drops three consecutive strings resulting in sound similar to a motorcycle shifting gears, borrowed from the similar-sounding intro to Montrose's "Bad Motor Scooter". The catchy guitar riff that immediately follows bears a striking resemblance to 1970s glam rock band Sweet's intro to their 1973 song, "Hell Raiser" (which itself resembles Led Zeppelin's 1969 song "Whole Lotta Love"). The song's ending features a prominent example of talkbox effects.
- Great White's version was featured on their 2009 greatest hits album, The Essential Collection.
- Asking Alexandria recorded a cover for their EP Under the Influence: A Tribute to the Legends of Hard Rock.
- A country Mötley Crüe tribute album Nashville Outlaws: A Tribute to Mötley Crüe included a cover by Rascal Flatts.
In pop culture
- The song has been used in the TV spots and trailer for several films including Shorts, Cars, Shoot 'Em Up, 30 Minutes or Less and Monsters University.
- "Kickstart My Heart can be heard in the films Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Hot Tub Time Machine and Take Me Home Tonight in addition to the video games Scarface: The World Is Yours and Gran Turismo 3.
- On the TV show The Office, the song plays as Dwight Schrute gets pumped before meeting a client in the episode "Traveling Salesmen".
- The song made in an appearance in the commercial to the Dodge Charger, the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat and midseason three premiere of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
- The song appeared as a track that can be selected on the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit at Universal Studios Florida.
- It was also featured during the US Navy Blue Angels performances, being played as the Diamond Formation took to the air.
- The song was made available to download on June 7, 2011 for use in the Rock Band 3 music gaming platform in both Basic rhythm, and PRO mode which takes advantage of the use of a real guitar/bass guitar, along with standard MIDI-compatible electronic drum kits/keyboards in addition to up to three-part harmony vocals.
- Slash's Autobiography "Slash by Slash"
- "Allmusic (Motley Crue charts & awards) Billboard singles".
- Ray Van Horn, Jr. (2011-09-05). "The Metal Minute: The Metal Minute's 100 Metal Albums You Can't Live Without: Numbers 59 to 50". Rayvanhornjr.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Asking Alexandria "Under the Influence: A Tribute to the Legends of Hard Rock" EP Review — 4 out of 5 stars @ARTISTdirect". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Get Rock Music (2012-11-28). "Asking Alexandria – Under The Influence: A Tribute To The Legends Of Hard Rock (EP) (2012)". Get Rock Music. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- G, Dan (2011-06-03). "Rise Against, Bruno Mars And More Pro Upgrades Hitting Rock Band Next Week". Gaming Nexus. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- on YouTube