|Birth name||Brian Todd Collins|
April 1, 1986 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Brian Todd Collins (born April 1, 1986), better known by his stage name Kid Ink is an American hip hop recording artist and record producer from Los Angeles, California. He is signed to RCA Records. He released the independent album Up & Away, an EP titled Almost Home, and his second studio album My Own Lane. The latter spawned the singles "Show Me", "Iz U Down", and "Main Chick". On February 3, 2015, he released his third studio album Full Speed, which spawned the singles "Body Language", "Hotel", and "Be Real". On December 25, 2015, he released a surprise fourth studio album Summer in the Winter with the supporting single "Promise".
2005–12: Career beginnings, Tha Alumni Music Group and Up & Away
During his teenage years, Collins began his career doing some of these after-school music programs, making beats and producing tracks. His inspiration that was based upon his work ethic from several producers such as Timbaland, Pharrell Williams and Swizz Beatz. He said: "These were artists and producers who were writing for other people in all types of genres. It just gave me an open ear for all different types of music and that's how I approached it." Following these years of working as a record producer, Ink began pursuing his career, when he starting rapping at full-time at the age of 22. In 2009, he adopted the moniker of his stage name Rockstar. On February 1, 2010, Rockstar released his first mixtape, titled World Tour. The mixtape gained popularity, while grabbing some attention to the local radio disc jockey, DJ Ill Will (whom was connected to these hip hop site HotNewHipHop). DJ Ill Will signed Rockstar to his independent label, called Tha Alumni Group, and then Rockstar change his stage name to "Kid Ink". In 2011, Kid Ink released his second mixtape, Crash Landing. The mixtape features guest appearances from Roscoe Dash, Ty Dolla Sign and Meek Mill, among others. During the summer of 2011, he released his third mixtape, Daydreamer, which was made available for digital download. The mixtape features guest appearances from Cory Gunz, Maejor Ali, Ray J, Sean Kingston and Bow Wow, among others. In September 2011, Kid Ink released his fourth mixtape, Wheels Up. The mixtape features guest appearances from 2 Chainz, Nipsey Hussle and Tyga, among others. On June 12, 2012, Kid Ink released his debut studio album, Up & Away. The album includes the production from Ned Cameron and Jahlil Beats, among others. The album debuted at number 20 on the US Billboard 200. Supporting this album was the release of his single, "Time of Your Life", preceded by his second single, "Lost in the Sauce". On November 21, 2012, Kid Ink Ireleased his fifth mixtape, "Rocketshipshawty".
2013–14: Signing with RCA, Almost Home and My Own Lane
On January 4, 2013, he announced that he had signed a deal with RCA Records and premiered his first major label single, titled "Bad Ass" featuring Wale and Meek Mill and produced by Devin Cruise. The song would be released for digital download on January 22, 2013. The song was released to Rhythm Crossover radio in the United States on February 26, 2013. It has since peaked at #90 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 27 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. On May 14, he announced his first project released under RCA, would be an EP titled Almost Home on May 28, 2013. It featured artists such as French Montana, Wale, Meek Mill, ASAP Ferg and Rico Love among others. Upon its release, the EP debuted at number 27 on the Billboard 200. It also produced the single "Money and the Power" which was featured in HBO's Hard Knocks and in the sports video game NBA Live 14 as well as being one of the official theme songs of WrestleMania 31. On September 17, 2013, he released the first single from his second studio album My Own Lane, entitled "Show Me" featuring Chris Brown and produced by DJ Mustard. On November 4, 2013, he revealed that My Own Lane would be released on January 7, 2014. On January 13, 2014, at Kid Ink's album release party, he was rewarded his first Gold plaque from the RIAA for his single "Show Me".
2015–present: Full Speed and Summer in the Winter
On 9 September 2014, "Body Language", which features Usher and Tinashe, was released as the first single from his third studio album, Full Speed. The album was released on February 3, 2015, and has since peaked at number 14 on the US Billboard 200 album chart. On 25 December 2015 Kid Ink released his new studio album, Summer in the Winter, with songs featuring Fetty Wap, Akon, Omarion, Starrah and Bïa Krieger.
Kid Ink has 27 tattoos on his face, arms, hands, and torso. He got his first tattoo when he was 16 and has been "addicted" to getting tattoos since. His favorites include portraits of his mother and grandfather on his chest and a tiger on the front of his neck, which represents his Chinese symbol. He showed off his tattoos for one of PETA's "Ink Not Mink" anti-fur ads in 2013.
Kid Ink is the older brother of hip hop artist Juliann Alexander. He has been dating fitness model Asiah Azante for over a decade. The couple became engaged in June 2015. Azante gave birth to a girl named Aislin Parvaneh Collins, in February 2016.
Awards and nominations
|2014||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Push Act||none||Nominated|
- Artist Biography by Andy Kellman. "Kid Ink | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Markma, Rob (2013-01-04). "Kid Ink Inks Deal With RCA Records". MTV. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Kid Ink - MTV UK". Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Gustafson, Kyle (2012-05-07). "Kid Ink at Howard Theatre". Washington Post. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Patrick Ryan, USA TODAY 7 a.m. EST February 23, 2014 (2014-02-23). "On the Verge: Kid Ink embraces radio-friendly rap". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Introducing Kid Ink: Rising L.A. Artist Talks Transition From Producing & Quick Notoriety". BallerStatus.com. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink "Up & Away" Cover Art, Release Date". Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink Reveals 'Up & Away' Album Cover Art x Confirms Release Date". Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Mixtape Release Dates: Joe Budden, Wale, Pusha T, Young Jeezy". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Kid Ink Signs To RCA Records". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "iTunes - Music - Bad Ass (feat. Meek Mill & Wale) - Single by Kid Ink". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Paine, Jake (2013-05-14). "Kid Ink "Almost Home EP" Release Date & Cover Art". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Nigel D. (2013-01-11). "Kid Ink ft. Chris Brown - Show Me (Prod. By DJ Mustard) » RealTalkNY Brought To You By Nigel D". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink - Show Me Feat. Chris Brown (Prod. By DJ Mustard) [Radio Rip] | Stream & Listen [New Song]". Hotnewhiphop.com. 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Twitter / Kid_Ink: #MyOwnLane January 7th!". Twitter.com. 2013-11-04. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque @ Webster Hall In NYC!! |". Deucetv.net. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque at Webster Hall in NYC". YouTube. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink Announces New Single "Vegas Strip"". September 2, 2014.
- Latifa Muhamed,"Kid Ink Joins PETA’s “Ink Not Mink” Campaign," HipHopWired.com, 12 March 2013.
- "Kid Ink Gets Engaged To Longtime Girlfriend Asiah Azante". BallerStatus.com. July 1, 2015.
- "MTV Europe Music Awards 2014 - All this year's nominees and winners". Retrieved April 5, 2015.