Kid Ink in 2012
|Birth name||Brian Todd Collins|
|Born||April 1, 1986|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Brian Todd Collins (born April 1, 1986), better known by his stage name Kid Ink, is an American hip hop and R&B recording artist. He is signed to RCA Records. He released the independent album Up & Away, an EP titled Almost Home, and his second studio album My Own Lane. The latter spawned the singles "Show Me", "Iz U Down", and "Main Chick". On February 3, 2015, he released his third studio album Full Speed, which spawned the singles "Body Language", "Hotel", and "Be Real".
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
2005–09: Career beginnings and record production
As a teenager, Kid Ink got his own start to begin his music career, doing the after-school music programs making beats and producing some songs. He was inspired by producers Timbaland, Pharrell Williams and Swizz Beatz. He said: "These were artists and producers who were writing for other people in all types of genres. It just gave me an open ear for all different types of music and that's how I approached it." Following years of working as a record producer, Ink pursued a career as a rapper full-time at age 22.
2009–12: Tha Alumni Music Group and Up & Away
In 2009, he begin to brand his own image, under his stage name as Rockstar. On February 1, 2010, he released his first mixtape, titled World Tour. With his first mixtape is what led him gaining some popularity. His first mixtape grabbed the attention of DJ Ill Will; whom was connected with the hip-hop site HotNewHipHop. DJ Ill Will then signed Collins to his independent label; named Tha Alumni Group, and Collins changed his stage name to "Kid Ink". In 2011, he would released his first and second-overall mixtape; under his stage name of Kid Ink, titled Crash Landing. The mixtape features guest appearances from Roscoe Dash, Ty Dolla Sign and Meek Mill, among others. At the beginning of the 2011, during the summer, he then released his third mixtape Daydreamer, which was made available for digital download on various websites. This mixtape features guest appearances from Cory Gunz, Maejor Ali, Ray J, Sean Kingston and Bow Wow, among others. In September 2011, he released his fourth mixtape, titled Wheels Up. The tape features guest appearances from 2 Chainz, Nipsey Hussle and Tyga, among others.
On June 12, 2012, Kid Ink independently released his debut studio album, Up & Away; which moderately became successful. The production on the album was handled by Ned Cameron and Jahlil Beats, among others. The album debuted at number 20 on the US Billboard 200. Supporting this album was the lead single, "Time of Your Life" (released on February 7, 2012), preceded the release with the second single, "Lost in the Sauce" (released on April 26, 2012). On November 21, 2012, Kid Ink released his fifth mixtape, "Rocketshipshawty".
2013–14: Signing with RCA, Almost Home and My Own Lane
On January 4, 2013, he announced that he had signed a deal with RCA Records and premiered his first major label single, titled "Bad Ass" featuring Wale and Meek Mill and produced by Devin Cruise. The song would be released for digital download on January 22, 2013. The song was released to Rhythm Crossover radio in the United States on February 26, 2013. It has since peaked at #90 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 27 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. On May 14, he announced his first project released under RCA, would be an EP titled Almost Home on May 28, 2013. It featured artists such as French Montana, Wale, Meek Mill, ASAP Ferg and Rico Love among others. Upon its release, the EP debuted at number 27 on the Billboard 200. It also produced the single "Money and the Power" which was featured in HBO's Hard Knocks and in the sports video game NBA Live 14 as well as being one of the official theme songs of WrestleMania 31. On September 17, 2013, he released the first single from his second studio album My Own Lane, entitled "Show Me" featuring Chris Brown and produced by DJ Mustard. On November 4, 2013, he revealed that My Own Lane would be released on January 7, 2014. On January 13, 2014, at Kid Ink's album release party, he was rewarded his first Gold plaque from the RIAA for his single "Show Me".
2015–present: Full Speed and Summer in The Winter
On 9 September 2014, "Body Language", which features Usher and Tinashe, was released as the first single from his third studio album, Full Speed. The album was released on February 3, 2015, and has since peaked at number 14 on the US Billboard 200 album chart. On 25 December, 2015 Kid Ink released his new album Summer in the Winter with songs with Fetty Wap, Akon, Omarion, Starrah and Bïa.
Kid Ink has 25 tattoos on his face, arms, hands, and torso. He got his first tattoo when he was 16 and has been "addicted" to getting tattoos since. His favorites include portraits of his mother and grandfather on his chest and a tiger on the front of his neck, which represents his Chinese symbol. He showed off his tattoos for one of PETA's "Ink Not Mink" anti-fur ads in 2013. He has a younger brother named Julian, who's also a rapper and is a former member of the rap group The Ranger$.
The rapper has been dating fitness model Asiah Azante for over a decade. The couple became engaged in June 2015. The couple had welcome a baby girl named Aislin Parvaneh, on Febuary 10, 2016
- Up & Away (2012)
- Almost Home (2013)
- My Own Lane (2014)
- Full Speed (2015)
- Summer in the Winter (2015)
Awards and nominations
|2014||Best Push Act||none||Nominated|
- Artist Biography by Andy Kellman. "Kid Ink | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Markma, Rob (2013-01-04). "Kid Ink Inks Deal With RCA Records". MTV. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Kid Ink - MTV UK". Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Gustafson, Kyle (2012-05-07). "Kid Ink at Howard Theatre". Washington Post. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Patrick Ryan, USA TODAY 7 a.m. EST February 23, 2014 (2014-02-23). "On the Verge: Kid Ink embraces radio-friendly rap". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Introducing Kid Ink: Rising L.A. Artist Talks Transition From Producing & Quick Notoriety". BallerStatus.com. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink "Up & Away" Cover Art, Release Date". Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink Reveals ‘Up & Away’ Album Cover Art x Confirms Release Date". Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Mixtape Release Dates: Joe Budden, Wale, Pusha T, Young Jeezy | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- Kid Ink Signs To RCA Records | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- "iTunes - Music - Bad Ass (feat. Meek Mill & Wale) - Single by Kid Ink". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Paine, Jake (2013-05-14). "Kid Ink "Almost Home EP" Release Date & Cover Art". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Nigel D. (2013-01-11). "Kid Ink ft. Chris Brown - Show Me (Prod. By DJ Mustard) » RealTalkNY Brought To You By Nigel D". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink - Show Me Feat. Chris Brown (Prod. By DJ Mustard) [Radio Rip] | Stream & Listen [New Song]". Hotnewhiphop.com. 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Twitter / Kid_Ink: #MyOwnLane January 7th!". Twitter.com. 2013-11-04. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque @ Webster Hall In NYC!! |". Deucetv.net. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque at Webster Hall in NYC". YouTube. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink Announces New Single "Vegas Strip"". September 2, 2014.
- Latifa Muhamed,"Kid Ink Joins PETA’s “Ink Not Mink” Campaign," HipHopWired.com, 12 March 2013.
- On February 11, 2016 Brisan Todd and Asian Azante welcomed a baby girl via natural birth ."Kid Ink Gets Engaged To Longtime Girlfriend Asiah Azante". BallerStatus.com. July 1, 2015.
- "MTV Europe Music Awards 2014 - All this year's nominees and winners". Retrieved April 5, 2015.