Collins performing in 2012
|Birth name||Brian Todd Collins|
|Also known as||Rockstar|
|Born||April 1, 1986|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Brian Todd Collins (born April 1, 1986), best known by his stage name Kid Ink, is an American rapper, singer, and record producer from Los Angeles, California. Collins released his debut independent album Up & Away in 2012, following an EP titled Almost Home, and his first major studio album, My Own Lane in 2014. The latter spawned the singles "Show Me", "Iz U Down", and "Main Chick" featuring Chris Brown. On February 3, 2015, he released his third studio album Full Speed, which spawned the singles "Body Language", "Hotel", and "Be Real" featuring Dej Loaf. On December 25, 2015, he released a surprise commercial mixtape Summer in the Winter with the supporting single "Promise" featuring Fetty Wap. Kid Ink has also released RSS2 (a mixtape) in 2016, and EP 7 Series with leading single "F with U" in 2017.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
2005–2012: Career beginnings, Tha Alumni Music Group and Up & Away
During his teenage years, Brian Todd Collins attended after-school music programs, where he produced hip-hop beats and tracks. He cites Timbaland, Pharrell Williams and Swizz Beatz as part of his inspiration for its work ethic with the production and songwriting, when he said: "These were artists and producers who were writing for other people in all types of genres. It just gave me an open ear for all different types of music and that's how I approached it". He landed his first genuine production credit for a Nipsey Hussle single in 2008. At 22, Collins began rapping full-time. In 2009, Collins adopted the moniker Rockstar. On February 1, 2010, Collins released his first official mixtape, titled World Tour. The mixtape gained popularity that grabbed some of the attention towards a radio disc jockey, DJ Ill Will, the founder of HotNewHipHop. He later signed to his spearheaded record label, Tha Alumni Group label, and its joint-label, 88 Classic. Collins also changed his stage name to Kid Ink, in respect for a label-mate, DJ Rockstar.
In 2011, Collins released his second mixtape, called Crash Landing. The mixtape features guest appearances from Roscoe Dash, Ty Dolla Sign, and Meek Mill, among others. During the summer of 2011, Ink released his third mixtape, called Daydreamer that made available for digital download. The mixtape features guest appearances from Cory Gunz, Maejor Ali, Ray J, Sean Kingston and Bow Wow, among others. In September 2011, Collins released his fourth mixtape, called Wheels Up. The mixtape features guest appearances from 2 Chainz, Nipsey Hussle and Tyga, among others. On June 12, 2012, Ink released his debut studio album, called Up & Away; including the production that was provided from Ned Cameron, Kyle Justice and Jahlil Beats, among others. The album debuted at number 20 on the US Billboard 200. Supporting this album was the release of his single, called "Time of Your Life", followed by a release of his second single, called "Lost in the Sauce". On November 21, 2012, Ink released his fifth mixtape, titled "Rocketshipshawty".
2013–2014: Signing with RCA, Almost Home and My Own Lane
On January 4, 2013, he announced that he had signed a deal with RCA Records and premiered his first major label single, titled "Bad Ass" featuring Wale and Meek Mill and produced by Devin Cruise. The song would be released for digital download on January 22, 2013. The song was released to Rhythm Crossover radio in the United States on February 26, 2013. It has since peaked at number 90 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 27 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. He released an EP titled Almost Home on May 28, 2013. It featured other artists including French Montana, Wale, Meek Mill, ASAP Ferg and Rico Love. Upon its release, the EP debuted at number 27 on the Billboard 200. It also produced the single "Money and the Power" which was featured in HBO's Hard Knocks and in the sports video game NBA Live 14 as well as being one of the official theme songs of WrestleMania 31. On September 17, 2013, he released the first single from his second studio album My Own Lane, entitled "Show Me" featuring Chris Brown and produced by DJ Mustard. He released My Own Lane on January 7, 2014. On January 13, 2014, at Kid Ink's album release party, he was awarded his first Gold plaque from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for his single "Show Me".
2015–2016: Full Speed and Summer in the Winter
On 9 September 2014, "Body Language", which features Usher and Tinashe, was released as the first single from his third studio album, Full Speed. The album was released on February 3, 2015, and has since peaked at number 14 on the US Billboard 200 album chart. On 25 December 2015 Kid Ink released a commercial mixtape, Summer in the Winter, with songs featuring Fetty Wap, Akon, Omarion, Starrah and Bïa Krieger.
2016–present: RSS2 and 7 Series
On September 19, 2016, Kid Ink released the mixtape RSS2 on Soundcloud. Kid Ink wanted to get back into his old mixtape sound. RSS2 features underground artists including his younger brother, Juliann Alexander. RSS2 spawned the "One Day" single from the project, with a music video. RSS2 was released on Spotify and every other streaming service on March 30, 2017. On April 7, Kid Ink released the single "F With U" featuring Ty Dolla Sign, with DJ Mustard producing. His second EP 7 Series was released May 5, 2017.
Kid Ink has over 100 tattoos on his face, arms, hands, and torso. He got his first tattoo when he was 16 and has been "addicted" to getting tattoos since. His favorites include portraits of his mother and grandfather on his chest and a tiger on the front of his neck, which represents his Chinese birth sign. He showed off his tattoos for one of PETA's "Ink Not Mink" anti-fur ads in 2013.
|Space Jam 2||Buffalo (Voice)||2019|
Awards and nominations
|2014||MTV Europe Music Awards||Best Push Act||none||Nominated|
- Artist Biography by Andy Kellman. "Kid Ink | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Markma, Rob (2013-01-04). "Kid Ink Inks Deal With RCA Records". MTV. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Kid Ink - MTV UK". Archived from the original on 31 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Gustafson, Kyle (2012-05-07). "Kid Ink at Howard Theatre". Washington Post. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink interview, "In the middle of it all"". Billboard. 2017.
- Patrick Ryan, USA TODAY 7 a.m. EST February 23, 2014 (2014-02-23). "On the Verge: Kid Ink embraces radio-friendly rap". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Kid Ink interview
- "Introducing Kid Ink: Rising L.A. Artist Talks Transition From Producing & Quick Notoriety". BallerStatus.com. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink "Up & Away" Cover Art, Release Date". Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Kid Ink Reveals 'Up & Away' Album Cover Art x Confirms Release Date". Archived from the original on 13 May 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Mixtape Release Dates: Joe Budden, Wale, Pusha T, Young Jeezy". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- http://hiphopdx.com, HipHopDX -. "Kid Ink Signs To RCA Records". Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "iTunes - Music - Bad Ass (feat. Meek Mill & Wale) - Single by Kid Ink". iTunes. 2013-01-22. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Archived from the original on 2016-04-11. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Paine, Jake (2013-05-14). "Kid Ink "Almost Home EP" Release Date & Cover Art". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Nigel D. (2013-01-11). "Kid Ink ft. Chris Brown - Show Me (Prod. By DJ Mustard) » RealTalkNY Brought To You By Nigel D". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink - Show Me Feat. Chris Brown (Prod. By DJ Mustard) [Radio Rip] | Stream & Listen [New Song]". Hotnewhiphop.com. 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque @ Webster Hall In NYC!! |". Deucetv.net. 2014-01-14. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "DJ Enuff Presents Kid Ink w/ Gold Plaque at Webster Hall in NYC". YouTube. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Kid Ink Announces New Single "Vegas Strip"". September 2, 2014.
- "Five things you didn't know about Kid Ink". AXS. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- Latifa Muhamed,"Kid Ink Joins PETA’s “Ink Not Mink” Campaign," HipHopWired.com, 12 March 2013.
- "Kid Ink Gets Engaged To Longtime Girlfriend Asiah Azante". BallerStatus.com. July 1, 2015.
- "Kid Ink & Fiance Asiah Azante Welcome First Child Together". HotNewHipHop.
- "MTV Europe Music Awards 2014 - All this year's nominees and winners". Retrieved April 5, 2015.