Kid vs. Kat
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Kid vs. Kat|
Kid vs. Kat
|Created by||Rob Boutilier|
|Written by||Rob Boutilier
Karen J. Lloyd
|Directed by||Rob Boutilier
|Voices of||Erin Mathews
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Blair Peters
|Producer(s)||Jamie Turner (Season 1)
Chantal Hennessey (Season 2)
|Production company(s)||Jetix Europe (Season 1)
Disney XD Europe (Seasons 2)
Studio B Productions
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||October 25, 2008– June 4, 2011|
Kid vs. Kat is a Canadian animated television series that originally aired on YTV in Canada from October 25, 2008, to June 4, 2011. The series developed and produced at Studio B Productions, in association with YTV and Jetix Europe for its first season and Disney XD Europe for its second season. The show was created and co-directed by Rob Boutilier. The series is distributed by Studio B Productions.
On August 19, 2011, Disney XD confirmed the series' cancellation.
When Coop Burtonburger's younger sister Millie brings home a strange stray cat, his idyllic life shatters as he discovers the cat is actually a conniving, evil alien mastermind with a fanatical hate for mankind and an unassumingly sinister goal. The two battle daily as Coop tries to warn others of Kat's evil, only to find his evidence destroyed by him and deemed a fool.
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||26||October 25, 2008||November 30, 2009|
|2||26||September 11, 2010||June 4, 2011|
- Cooper "Coop" Burtonburger - The protagonist; an average 10-year-old boy who knows that his sister's cat is an evil alien, and battles him throughout the series while failing to prove his intentions. Voiced by Erin Mathews.
- Millie Burtonburger - Coop's younger, bratty, crybaby sister who owns and cares for Kat. Voiced by Kathleen Barr.
- Burt Burtonburger - The single father, stressed out from Coop's collateral damage around the house. Voiced by Trevor Devall.
- Grandma & Grandpa Burtonburger - The grandparents of Coop and Millie.
- Kat (Mr. Kat) - The antagonist. The family's cat who resembles a purple Sphynx cat, though is indeed an evil alien mastermind from planet Catnipia. He hates Coop and tries to kill him with his claws, nefarious gadgets and traps, but fails each time. He is affectionate towards Coop's sister, Millie, since she adopted him, loves him, and feeds him snacks. His original goal was to collect "Fishy Frisky Bits," and return them to his home planet, though later it changed to conquering the planet. Voiced by Kathleen Barr.
- Mr. Cheeks - A class pet hamster who is also an extraterrestrial, whose species rival those of Kat's. Voiced by Christopher Gaze.
- Kat Kommander - The supreme ruler Kat's home planet, Catnipia, who sent Kat to Earth and contacts him via hologram.
- Mr. Kitten - Kat Kommander's rebellious son, a party-hard kitten who crash lands onto Earth.
- Dr. K - A cat scientist and Kat's girlfriend. She can speak English and Russian. Voiced by Kathleen Barr.
- Dennis Lawrence Chan - Coop's best friend; among the few who believes Kat is evil. Voiced by Cathy Weseluck.
- Henry Chan - Dennis' balding father, with a noticeable Chinese American accent. Voiced by Vincent Tong.
- Mrs. Elisabeth Munson - The crotchety old neighbor of the Burtonburgers, who despises Coop but likes Millie and Kat. She owns a dog named Growler. Voiced by Linda Sorenson.
- Fiona Munson - Mrs. Munson's niece; Coop's love interest. Voiced by Chiara Zanni.
- Phoebe - A girl who has a crush on Coop and frequently annoys him. Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain.
- Lorne and Harley - Two brothers who are semi-friends with Coop and Dennis, and record their misadventures. They have a pet chicken named Cachaitore. Voiced by Kathleen Barr and Brian Drummond.
- Cacciatore - A chicken mascot of Coop's school.
- Miss Brannigan - Coop's youthful math teacher, who does not trust him. Voiced by Cathy Weseluck.
- Mr. Gerber - A science teacher. Voiced by Michael Daingerfield.
- Buck Diamond - A tough and macho Animal Protection Officer. Voiced by Patrick Warburton.
Creation and Debut
The series was announced in February 2007, and was originally named Look What My Sister Dragged In.
Kid vs. Kat premiered on YTV on October 25, 2008 in Canada. It aired on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. as part of YTV's Crunch block. In the US, the series first aired on Disney XD on February 21, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. The first season was produced by Jetix with Studio B Productions, while the second was produced by Disney XD Productions.
On August 19, 2011, Rob Boutilier announced via Facebook the series wasn't renewed for a third season and he lacked rights to make further episodes. In July 2011, Studio B Productions shut down after being acquired by DHX Media.
Broadcast and Release
Since the series' cancellation, reruns continued to air until December 30, 2016. In Quebec, it aired it on Vrak, it returned to Unis TV on July 1, 2017. In the US, the series premiered on Disney XD up until 2014. The show aired in Australia starting in 2009 on Nickelodeon & ABC2, while in 2010 for Television New Zealand. The show began broadcasting in the UK and Ireland on April 4, 2009 on Jetix. Kid vs Kat aired on Disney XD in India until 2017. All episodes of Kid vs. Kat were released exclusively through iTunes, with no DVD releases.
The series received average reviews from critics. It currently holds a 7.2/10 rating at TV.com.  Kid vs. Kat won an award for "Best Program or Series" in 2009, and was nominated for the other three awards.
- Aaron H. Bynum, "'Kid vs. Kat' TV Animation Moves into Production" Archived 2009-02-21 at the Wayback Machine., Animation Insider, February 19th, 2007
- DHX Media (December 4, 2007). "DHX Media acquires Studio B Productions Inc" (Press release). Canada Newswire. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Le diabolique Monsieur Kat - Émissions - Unis TV". Unis.ca. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "Kid vs Kat, Season 1 on iTunes". 2009-02-05. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Kid vs Kat, Season 2 on iTunes". 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Kid vs. Kat". TV.com. Retrieved January 29, 2010.