Kid vs. Kat
|Kid vs. Kat|
|Created by||Rob Boutilier|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Production company||Studio B Productions|
Jetix Europe and Disney-ABC International Television
US & International
|Original release||October 25, 2008 –|
June 4, 2011
Kid vs. Kat is a Canadian animated television series that originally aired on YTV in Canada from October 25, 2008, to June 4, 2011. The series was created and co-directed by Rob Boutilier, developed and produced at Studio B Productions, in association with YTV and Jetix Europe for its first seasonand Disney XD for its second season. 52 episodes were produced.
When Coop Burtonburger's younger sister Millie brings home a strange stray cat, his idyllic life shatters as he discovers the cat is actually a conniving, evil alien mastermind with a fanatical hate for mankind and an unassumingly sinister goal. The two battle daily as Coop tries to warn others of Kat's evil, only to find his evidence destroyed by him and deemed a fool.
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||26||October 25, 2008||November 30, 2009|
|2||26||September 11, 2010||June 4, 2011|
- Erin Mathews as Cooper "Coop" Burtonburger
- Kathleen Barr as Kat (Mr. Kat), Millie Burtonburger
- Trevor Devall as Burt Burtonburger
- Cathy Weseluck as Dennis Lawrence Chan
- Linda Sorenson as Mrs. Elisabeth Munson
- Chiara Zanni as Fiona Munson
- Tabitha St. Germain as Phoebe
- Vincent Tong as Henry Chan
- Brian Drummond as Harley
The series' pilot was first shown off at MIPCOM Jr. in 2006, and the series was officially revealed under the title Look What My Sister Dragged In on February 2007, where Studio B signed a development deal with YTV for the series. The series' production was started in January 2008.
On February 12, 2008, after purchasing Studio B Productions, their new owner DHX Media announced they had licensed out the TV, home video, and consumer product rights for the series to Jetix Europe in areas where the company operated Jetix channels, while Disney-ABC International Television would handle TV distribution in these territories. DHX's then-TV distributor Decode Enterprises would handle television, home entertainment, and merchandising and licensing rights for the rest of the world.
On October 19, 2009, DHX announced that the series had been renewed for a second season. By then, the series had been airing on over 10 Disney XD channels around the world. It was also announced that the series had been pre-sold to additional broadcasters including Vrak in Canada, ABC in Australia, Disney XD Latin America, Disney XD India, Disney XD Japan, Cartoon Network South Korea and Nickelodeon Southeast Asia. On August 10, 2010, DHX announced that TV Azteca in Mexico and ECTV in Ecuador had pre-sold the series for free TV in Latin America.
On August 19, 2011, Rob Boutilier announced via Facebook the series wasn't renewed for a third season and he lacked the right to make further episodes.
Broadcast and release
Kid vs. Kat premiered on YTV on October 25, 2008, in Canada. It aired on Saturdays at 8:30 AM as part of YTV's Crunch block. In the United States, the series first aired on Disney XD on February 21, 2009, at 9:00 AM.
- "JETIX EUROPE LICENSES KID VS. KAT RIGHTS". WildBrain (Press release). 2008-02-12. Retrieved 2020-12-22.
- "Kid vs. Kat". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- Aaron H. Bynum, "'Kid vs. Kat' TV Animation Moves into Production" Archived 2009-02-21 at the Wayback Machine, Animation Insider, February 19th, 2007
- Crump, William D. (2019). Happy Holidays—Animated! A Worldwide Encyclopedia of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's Cartoons on Television and Film. McFarland & Co. p. 159. ISBN 9781476672939.
- "YTV signs Sister act". Playback. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2020-12-23.
- "Studio B drags in new YTV toon". C21media. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2020-12-23.
- "DHX MEDIA DEAL WITH JETIX US". WildBrain (Press release). 2008-04-15. Retrieved 2020-12-22.
- "DHX MEDIA ANNOUNCES DISNEY XD SERIES RENEWAL". WildBrain (Press release). 2009-10-19. Retrieved 2020-12-23.
- "DHX MEDIA ANNOUNCES LATIN AMERICAN DEALS FOR KID vs. KAT". WildBrain (Press release). 2010-08-10. Retrieved 2020-12-23.