Kids (Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue song)
|Single by Kylie Minogue & Robbie Williams|
|from the album Light Years and Sing When You're Winning|
|Released||9 October 2000|
|Length||4:47 (Sing When You're Winning version)
4:19 (Light Years version)
"Kids" is a duet by Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams, released as the second single from Sing When You're Winning, Williams' fourth studio album and the third single from Light Years, Minogue's seventh studio album. Williams and then songwriting partner Guy Chambers co-wrote the song for Minogue.
Williams liked the song enough to turn it into a duet. The track was written when Minogue approached Williams to write her some songs for what would be her first album under Parlophone, Light Years. It was then that Williams felt the chemistry and decided to include the track on his album and release it as a single. It was an instant hit when it was released in 2000. It was also released on Grand Theft Auto V on a fictional radio station.
The song became a smash hit in the United Kingdom, reaching number-two (behind Beautiful Day by U2), and selling over 200,000 copies being certified Silver by the BPI. The track also broke into the top ten in several other countries including New Zealand, Mexico and Argentina as well as hitting the top twenty in Australia, being certified Gold in the latter for sales over the 35,000 copies. The lyrics, although penned by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers, makes numerous references to the careers of both Minogue and Williams. Minogue's lyric "I've been dropping beats since Back in Black" is a self-deprecating reference to her 1980s pop image when she was known as the singing budgie from Australia—Back in Black being a 1980s album by Australian band AC/DC and of a stark contrast to her own style at the time. Later, in 2010, this song is used as the theme song of Junior Masterchef Australia.
Williams and Minogue have only performed the song together on a few occasions.
Minogue performed the song on the following tours:
- On a Night Like This
- Showgirl: The Homecoming Tour (Performed solo and as a duet with Dannii Minogue or Bono)
- For You, For Me
- Kiss Me Once Tour
- Kylie Summer 2015 Tour
Williams performed the song on the following tours:
- The Sermon on the Mount Tour
- Weddings, Barmitzvahs & Stadiums Tour
- 2003 Tour
- Close Encounters Tour (Africa, Asia and Australia only)
- Take the Crown Stadium Tour (Duet with Olly Murs)
- Let Me Entertain You Tour
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Kids".
- UK CD1
- "Kids" – 4:47
- "John's Gay" – 3:40
- "Often" – 2:46
- "Kids" – 4:47 (enhanced video)
- UK CD2
- "Kids" – 4:47
- "Karaoke Star" – 4:10
- "Kill Me or Cure Me" – 2:14
Charts and certifications
- BPI Certification for "Kids" Archived 30 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "ARIA Certification for "Kids"". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "Australian-charts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Chart Track: Week 34, 2000". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 21 October 2000". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "October 2000/ Archive Chart: 21 October 2000" UK Singles Chart.
- NO certyear WAS PROVIDED for AUSTRALIAN CERTIFICATION.
- "British single certifications – Kylie Minogue – Kids". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved January 10, 2015. Enter Kids in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search