Kiehnel and Elliott
The architectural firm of Kiehnel and Elliot was established in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1906. Richard Kiehnel (1870–1944) was the firm's senior partner. He and the firm did substantial work in Florida.
Kiehnel was born in Germany. He studied at the University of Breslau, Germany and the Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris. Kiehnel's first commission in the Miami area was in 1917 and he opened the firm's Miami office in 1922. He supervised the construction of El Jardin, the earliest known Mediterranean Revival work remaining in Miami. Designing the mansion for John Bindley, President of the Pittsburgh Steel Company, Kiehnel departed from the Mission style that had only recently made its appearance in Florida and provided an elaborate antiquity for the house by using aging techniques to get the desired effect. Kiehnel introduced Mediterranean Revival to Pinellas County through his designs of the Rolyat Hotel in Gulfport, Florida (now part of Stetson College of Law) and the Snell Arcade in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Kiehnel advanced to Art Moderne styling in the Carlyle Hotel on Miami Beach and the 1924 Scottish Rite Masonic Temple on the Miami River, the first Art Deco building in the area. He also designed the Annie Russell Theatre, a Romanesque Revival building on the campus of Rollins College in Winter Park.
Kiehnel was active in his profession. He was a member of the Pittsburgh chapter of the American Institute of Architects since 1906 and a member of the national body from 1913. He was a charter member of the Florida South chapter and its president in 1930-1931 From 1935 to 1942 Kiehnel was the editor of Florida Architecture and Allied Arts magazine.
By year (with attribution indicated in parentheses):
- La Solana (Coconut Grove, Florida) 1922 Coconut Grove 3670 Hibiscus Street. Built for Ms. Soden (married name became Bigler) who donated money for the Rare Plant house at Fairchild Tropical Gardens.
- Baxter High School, Baxter Street and Brushton Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1908, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel, Elliott & Chalfont)
- First National Bank of Pitcairn, Pitcairn, Pennsylvania, c. 1910
- Gardner Steel Conference Center, now part of the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1911-1912
- Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. 100-118 N.E. 1st Avenue. 1912-1914 Miami. (National Register of Historic Places) Converted to a bank in 1938. Also known as Amerifirst Federal. Now an Office Depot.
- El Jardin. (1918) Coconut Grove (at 3747 Main Hwy., Miami, Florida, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel,Richard).
- Cherokee Lodge 1917 Coconut Grove.
- Seybold Building and Arcade 1921-1925 Miami.
- Greenfield Elementary School, (1922) N of Greenfield Ave. at E end of Alger St., Pittsburgh, PA, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel & Elliot)
- Scottish Rite Temple (Miami) 1922 Miami.
- Rolyat Hotel, Gulfport, Florida Now part of the Stetson University College of Law
- Coral Gables Congregational Church (1923), 3010 DeSoto Blvd., Coral Gables, Florida, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel & Elliott)
- Coral Gables Elementary School. (1923-1926) 105 Minorca Avenue, Coral Gables, Florida, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel,Richard)
- La Brisa (Coconut Grove, Florida) 1926-1928. Coconut Grove. 3551 Main Highway. This house was built on land originally owned by the noted author, Kirk Munroe.
- John B. Orr residence (1926) on Palm Island, Miami Beach
- Snell Arcade 1926) 405 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Florida, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel, Richard) 
- Miami Senior High School. (1927) 2450 SW First Street, Miami, Florida, NRHP-listed (Kiehnel & Elliott)
- Player's State Theatre. 1927 Coconut Grove.
- Bryan Memorial Methodist Church 1928 Main Highway, Coconut Grove
- Annie Russell Theatre. 1931 1000 Holt Avenue in Winter Park, Florida NRHP-listed (Kiehnel, Richard)
- Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Douglas residence. Miami.
- Second Church of Christ Scientist. 1940 Coconut Grove. 3850 Main Highway.
- Carlyle Hotel 1941 Miami Beach.
And (not by year):
- Building at 10108 Northeast 1st Avenue, 10108 NE. 1st Ave. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 107 Northeast 96th Street, 107 NE. 96th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 121 Northeast 100th Street, 121 NE. 100th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 145 Northeast 95th Street, 145 NE. 95th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 257 Northeast 91st Street, 257 NE. 91st St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 262 Northeast 96th Street, 262 NE. 96th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 273 Northeast 98th Street, 273 NE. 98th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 276 Northeast 98th Street, 276 NE. 98th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 310 Northeast 99th Street, 310 NE. 99th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 361 Northeast 97th Street, 361 NE. 97th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 384 Northeast 94th Street, 384 NE. 94th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 431 Northeast 94th Street, 431 NE. 94th St. Miami Shores, FL (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Bartholomew J. Donnelly House, 801 N. Peninsula Dr. Daytona Beach, FL (Kiehnel, Richard), NRHP-listed
- One or more works in Bay Shore Historic District, Roughly bounded by NE. 55th St., Biscayne Blvd., NE. 60th Street and Biscayne Bay Miami, Florida (Kiehnel & Elliott), NRHP-listed
- Building at 2400 Prairie Ave Miami Beach, FL
- Kiehnel 1938
- Rodriguez 1982. p. 89
- Patricios 1994. p. 177
- Patricios 1994. p. 176
- Kiehnel 1938.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Maria Tempkin (September 1988). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Miami Shores Thematic Group" (PDF).
- Patricios 1994. p. 151
- Dunlop 1996. p. 40.
- Patricios 1994. p. 148
- Patricios 1994. p. 165
- Dunlop 1996. p. 92.
- Patricios 1994. p. 198
- Patricios 1994. p. 191
- Rodriguez 1982. p. 208
- Dunlop 1996. p. 30.
- Rodriguez 1982. p. 155
- Patricios 1994. p. 171
- Patricios 1994. p. 206
- City of Miami
- Historical Museum
- Dunlop, Beth. Miami: trends and traditions. New York: Monacelli Press, 1996. ISBN 1-885254-37-7
- Kiehnel, Richard and Elliott, John M. A Monograph of the Florida Work of Kiehnel and Elliott. Miami, FL: Miami Post Publishing Company, 1938.
- Patricios, Nicholas N. Building Marvelous Miami. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 1994. ISBN 0-8130-1299-6.
- Rodriguez, Ivan A., editor. From Wilderness to Metropolis; the History and Architecture of Dade County (1825–1940). Miami, FL: Metropolitan Dade County, 1982. ISBN 0-916224-88-0.
- Historical Museum of Southern Florida. "A Guide to Kiehnel and Elliott Architectural Drawings". Archived from the original on 23 April 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- City of Miami. "Bryan Memorial Methodist Church" (PDF). Retrieved 6 April 2011.