Memorial Tablet for the Kanrin Maru Sinking at Saraki Point (February 2009)
The location of Kikonai in Oshima Subprefecture.
|• Mayor||Isao Ōmori (伊佐緒 大森)|
|• Total||221.88 km2 (85.67 sq mi)|
|• Density||20/km2 (52/sq mi)|
|Government Office Address||218 Banchi, Aza Hon-chō, Kikonai-chō, Kamiiso-gun, Hokkaidō 049-0422|
|Government Office Telephone||01392-2-3131|
- 1902: Kikonai village was founded.
- 1942: Kikonai village became Kikonai town.
- 2012: Hokkaido Kikonai High School was closed.
Kikonai's station, Kikonai Station, is located at the north end of the Seikan Tunnel, which connects the islands of Hokkaido and Honshū. The town government is actively promoting the development of the Hokkaidō Shinkansen and proposes offering intermodal service on the line.
Matsumae Line used to run from Kikonai but it was abolished in 1988. The section of Esashi Line from Kikonai to Esashi was also abolished in May 2014.
- Esashi Line: Kamaya - Izumisawa - Satsukari - Kikonai ( - Oshima-Tsuruoka - Yoshibori)
- Kaikyō Line: Kikonai
Media related to Kikonai, Hokkaidō at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Website (in Japanese)