Kildale railway station
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Managed by||Northern Trains|
|Classification||DfT category F1|
|Original company||North Eastern Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|6 April 1858||Opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Kildale is a railway station on the Esk Valley Line, which runs between Middlesbrough and Whitby via Nunthorpe. The station, situated 12 miles 65 chains (21 km) south-east of Middlesbrough, serves the village of Kildale, Hambleton in North Yorkshire, England. It is owned by Network Rail and managed by Northern Trains.
The station opened in April 1858, when the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Railway extended their line from Ingleby Junction (now Battersby) to Kildale. The line was further extended to Commondale and Castleton Moor, in April 1861. Through services to Whitby Town began following the opening of the section between Grosmont and Castleton Moor, the last section of the line to be opened, with service commencing in October 1865.
The station used to have a wooden bridge, which allowed access to St Cuthbert's Church on the north side of the line. During the early 1880s, the North Eastern Railway replaced the wooden bridge with a cast iron structure.
The station has one platform, which has seating, a waiting shelter and an emergency help point. There is step-free access to the platform. There is a small car park and cycle storage at the station.
Esk Valley Line
As of the May 2021 timetable change, the station is served by four trains per day towards Whitby, and Middlesbrough via Nunthorpe. Most trains continue to Newcastle via Hartlepool. All services are operated by Northern Trains.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The directory of railway stations : details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. Sparkford: Stephens. p. 131. ISBN 1-85260-508-1.
- Mell, Ken (26 May 2017). "Disused Stations: Stokesley Station". Disused Stations. Retrieved 14 December 2017.
- Maynard, Peter G. (2015). North Eastern Railway Branch Lines; The North Yorkshire & Cleveland Railway. North Eastern Railway Association. p. 14. ISBN 978-1-873513-98-9.
- "Kildale Station Train Tickets, Departures and Timetables". Northern Trains. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "Penalty Fares Map". Northern Trains. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "Train times: Middlesbrough to Whitby (Esk Valley Railway)" (PDF). Northern Trains. 16 May 2021. Retrieved 8 May 2021.
- Media related to Kildale railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and station information for Kildale railway station from National Rail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Esk Valley Line