|Elevation||5,600 ft (1,700 m)|
Kilimani is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi) west of Nairobi's central business district, within Westlands Sub-county. It is north of Woodley; east of Kileleshwa, mainly separated by the Kirichwa River; the larger Kilimani sub-location encompasses the part of Upper Hill (contains Hurlingham and Caledonia estates), and the Kilimani estates.
The neighbourhood was established among other earliest neighbourhoods as a whites-only residential area by the British colonialists in earlier the 20th century. It was not until the 1960s when it was racially integrated. The neighbourhood has historically been primarily low-density residential, but since 2000 has become increasingly high-density mixed residential and commercial; both retail and offices.
Points of interest
(1) Kilimani Primary School, Milimani Primary School, St Hannah's School, St. Nicholas School, St Christophers School, Cavina School are all located in the neighborhood. (2) The Lycée Denis Diderot, the French international school, is in Kilimani. It moved there in 1972. (3) West Nairobi School, a Christian international school, opened in Kilimani in 1996 but moved to Karen in 2000. (4) State House Girls' School is located on the grounds of State House Nairobi. Svenska Skolan, the Swedish international school, is located in Kilimani.
- Shopping malls
Adam's Arcade is the oldest shopping centre of its kind in neighbouring Woodley, Nairobi, Kenya, as well as East and Central Africa as a whole. Established in 1954 and completed in 1959 by Abdul Habib Adam.
Yaya Centre, in Hurlingham, is a shopping mall with over 100 retail shops.
The Nairobi Arboretum, featuring more than 300 exotic and indigenous tree species, is located in Kilimani, adjacent to State House.
- Google (25 October 2016). "Map Showing the Boundaries of Kilimani Electoral Ward, Nairobi County, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Google (23 June 2022). "Road Distance Between Nairobi Central Business District And Kilimani, Nairobi In Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 23 June 2022.
- Google (23 June 2022). "Location of Kilimani, Nairobi, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 23 June 2022.
- Irungu, Houghton (22 October 2014). "Some thoughts on place-based organizing in Kilimani, Kenya". Nairobi: Irunguh.wordpress.com. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Limbe, Lydia (4 July 2013). "Nairobi's leafy suburbs mutate in office boom". The Standard (Kenya). Nairobi. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Google (25 October 2016). "Location of State House, Nairobi, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- LDDK (25 October 2016). "About Lycée Denis Diderot (Kenya)" (in French). Nairobi: Lycée Denis Diderot (LDDK). Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- West Nairobi School (25 October 2016). "West Nairobi School: School Profile". Nairobi: West Nairobi School. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Studera på svensk skola utomlands • Svenska skolan i Nairobi". Svenska Skolan i Nairobi (in Swedish). Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Kangethe, Kennedy (4 April 2016). "K-Rep formally rebrands to Sidian Bank". Nairobi: 98.4 Capital FM. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "History of Adam's Arcade". Archived from the original on 10 February 2022. Retrieved 9 February 2022.
- Kenya Buzz (25 October 2016). "About Yaya Centre, Kilimani, Nairobi". Nairobi: Kenyabuzz.com. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Nairobi Arboretum". Nairobi: Kenya Forest Service. Archived from the original on 17 January 2020. Retrieved 9 June 2019.