|Song by A. R. Rahman (composer) and Javed Ali, Chinmayi (singers)|
|from the album Enthiran (soundtrack)|
|Released||July 31, 2010|
Panchathan Record Inn, Chennai
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Songwriter(s)||A. R. Rahman (music), Pa.Vijay (lyrics)|
|Producer(s)||A. R. Rahman|
|Enthiran (soundtrack) track listing|
"Kilimanjaro" is a Tamil song from the 2010 film Enthiran, directed by S. Shankar. The song was composed by A. R. Rahman, lyrics penned by Pa.Vijay and sung by Javed Ali and Chinmayi. The Hindi and Telugu version of the song have lyrics respectively written by Swanand Kirkire and Bhuvana Chandra. The song, based on the raga Karaharapriya, is reputed for its use of tribal beats with a catchy chorus and with various musical experiments. Song shooting took place in Machu Picchu in Peru.
Music structure and lyrics
The song has been composed on raga Karaharapriya. The song features African tribal percussions created by multiple Octapads and vocals, which well suits the song situation. It is sung by noted duo Javed Ali and Chinmayi in all the three versions. Singer Chinmayi, who worked with the trio (Rahman, Sankar and Rajinikanth) in the song "Sahana", said it was "a Dream Come True" to sing again for Rajinikanth. The additional vocal arrangements of the song is done by Clinton Cerejo.
The original title of the song is retained in all the three versions. The words "Kilimanjaro", "Mohenjo-daro" etc., originally included by Pa. Vijay, appears in all the versions.
Release and reception
The song was released as part of the soundtrack album of the film on 31 July 2010. The song topped the country charts, holding the #1 position for many continuous weeks. It topped Tamil film music charts for over five months.
The audio along with the entire soundtrack, broke several records in the Indian music industry, testified by its chart positions and digital downloads. It is often praised to be having the "usual Rahman touch".
The song is picturised on Rajinikanth and Aishwarya Rai singing a duet with a host of tribal dancers in the background and prompts laughter and humor due to funny costumes and cinemtography of the song. The song sequence was filmed at Machu Picchu in Peru, making it the first Indian video to be picturised from the protected heritage site. According to official sources, there were interventions from the Indian government to grant permission for the shooting, which was denied even for many international projects like Quantum of Solace. It was choreographed by Raju Sundaram, brother of Prabhudeva, who choreographed many other songs in the film.
Awards and nominations
- 2010: Mirchi Music Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Tamil - Chinmayi
- 2010: CSK Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Science Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Chinmayi 
- 2010: MGR Sivaji Academy Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Chinmayi 
- 2010: Vijay Music Award for Popular Female Playback Singer - Chinmayi 
- 2010: Vijay Music Award for Popular Song of the year
- 2010: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Tamil - Chinmayi
- 2010: Vijay Award for Best Female Playback Singer - Chinmayi
- Behindwoods Review
- "Who is topping the charts in K'wood?". Sify. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "A phenomenon called Rajini!". The Times Of India. 2010-10-01.
- "Endhiran The Robot : First Indian movie to shoot at Machu Pichu". One India. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "Enthiran beats James Bond". Behindwoods. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "தமிழ் திரைப்பட விருதுகள் : 2010". WriterCSK. 2010-12-25. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- seeucom (2011-01-03). "Enthiran was awarded the best commercial film of the year in MGR-Sivaji Awards". Tamilmoviestar.com. Archived from the original on 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- "Arts / Cinema : Rhythmic ripples of ‘Mellisai’ mark function". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2011-08-20.