|Single by Marilyn Manson|
|from the album Heaven Upside Down|
|Released||September 20, 2017|
|Marilyn Manson singles chronology|
"Kill4Me" (stylized as "KILL4ME") is a song by American rock band Marilyn Manson, released as the second single from their tenth studio album, Heaven Upside Down (2017). It was released on streaming platforms and as an immediate download with pre-orders of the album on music download services such as iTunes and Amazon Music on September 20, 2017. The song's official music video was released on November 13, and was the second video from the album to feature Johnny Depp, following "Say10".
Composition and style
"Kill4Me" is an industrial rock song, with Vice writer Phil Witmer calling it the "latest in the Manson tradition of swinging, toothy industrial rockers", before comparing it to several of the band's previous singles, such as "Disposable Teens" and "The Dope Show". Diffuser.fm said the track "evokes Manson's Antichrist Superstar era, and the song's lyrical themes don't suggest for a moment that the one-time bête noire of Capitol Hill has undergone a softening of heart." Kory Grow of Rolling Stone also compared it with Antichrist Superstar, while noting the presence of "throbbing synths and a disco beat". Graham Hartmann of Loudwire said the track was inspired by '80s new wave music, and contrasted it with the band's previous single "We Know Where You Fucking Live", writing: "While 'We Know Where You Fucking Live' went for the full-on aggression of Manson's classic sound, 'Kill4Me' is much more in the vein of his 2010s material."
Release and promotion
The track was released as the lead airplay single from Heaven Upside Down in the United States, where it was serviced to active rock radio formats during the chart week beginning September 26. It debuted at number 47, before rising to number 24 the following week, becoming the "greatest gainer" on the chart. The song has also appeared on a number of Billboard component charts, such as Mainstream Rock and Hot Rock Songs, peaking at numbers 5 (the band's first top five single on that chart) and 39, respectively. The song's music video was uploaded to the band's YouTube on November 13. It was directed by Bill Yukich, and features actor Johnny Depp and models Jocelyn Binder and Bailee Cowperthwaite.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Heaven Upside Down.
- Recorded at Abattoir Studios, Studio City, California
- Songs of Golgotha (BMI)/Box Cutter Music. (BMI), under exclusive licence to Loma Vista Recordings and Caroline International
- Marilyn Manson – vocals
- Tyler Bates – instrumentation, engineering, recording, production, mixing
- Robert Carranza – mixing
- Joanne Higginbottom – assistant engineer
- Brian Lucey – mastering (at Magic Garden Mastering, Los Angeles, California)
|Finnish Airplay (Radiosoittolista)||100|
|Mexican English Airplay (Billboard)||34|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||5|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||34|
|US Rock Airplay (Billboard)||22|
- Murray, Robin (September 21, 2017). "Listen: Marilyn Manson - 'KILL4ME' | News". Clash. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Carr, Paul (October 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Heaven Upside Down". PopMatters. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Witmer, Phil (September 21, 2017). "Marilyn Manson's "KILL4ME" Is Bullshit-Free, Despite the Drama". Noisey. Vice. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Metal Hammer Staff (September 20, 2017). "Listen to Marilyn Manson's new song KILL4ME". Metal Hammer. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- "Listen To New Marilyn Manson Song 'Kill4Me'". Blabbermouth.net. September 20, 2017. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Caruso, Vincent (September 20, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Tests a Lover's Loyalty with New Track, 'KILL4ME'". Diffuser.fm. Townsquare Media. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Grow, Kory (September 20, 2017). "Hear Marilyn Manson's New Love Song 'Kill4Me'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Hartmann, Graham (September 20, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Offers Veiled Threat in New Song 'KILL4ME'". Loudwire. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- "America's Music Charts | 10.03.17". America's Music Charts. Mediabase. October 3, 2017. Archived from the original on October 4, 2017. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- "Marilyn Manson Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Marilyn Manson Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 4, 2017.
- Grant, Sarah (November 14, 2017). "Watch Johnny Depp's Unholy Threesome in New Marilyn Manson Video 'KILL4ME'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Booklet". Heaven Upside Down (liner notes). Marilyn Manson. Los Angeles, United States: Loma Vista Recordings. 2017. LVR0029.
- "Marilyn Manson: Kill4Me" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved November 3, 2017.
- "Mexico Ingles Airplay : Nov 25, 2017". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 23, 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Marilyn Manson Chart History (Rock Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved December 4, 2017.