Kill the Messenger (2014 film)
|Kill the Messenger|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Cuesta|
|Written by||Peter Landesman|
|Based on||Kill the Messenger
by Nick Schou
by Gary Webb
|Music by||Nathan Johnson|
|Edited by||Brian A. Kates|
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
|Box office||$2.5 million|
Kill the Messenger is a 2014 American crime thriller film directed by Michael Cuesta and written by Peter Landesman. It is based on the book of the same name by Nick Schou and the book Dark Alliance by Gary Webb which focuses on CIA involvement in Contra cocaine trafficking. The film stars Jeremy Renner (in his first film as a producer), Michael Sheen, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, Barry Pepper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rosemarie DeWitt, Paz Vega, Oliver Platt, Richard Schiff, and Michael K. Williams. The film was released on October 10, 2014.
Based on the true story of journalist Gary Webb, the film takes place in the mid-1990s. Webb uncovered the CIA's alleged role in importing crack cocaine into the U.S. to secretly fund the Nicaraguan contra rebels. Despite enormous pressure to stay away, Webb chose to pursue the story and went public with his evidence, publishing the series called "Dark Alliance". He then experienced a vicious smear campaign fueled by the CIA, during which he found himself defending his integrity, his family and his life.
- Jeremy Renner as Gary Webb
- Rosemarie DeWitt as Susan Webb
- Ray Liotta as John Cullen
- Barry Pepper as Russell Dodson
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Anna Simons
- Paz Vega as Coral Baca
- Oliver Platt as Jerry Ceppos
- Michael Sheen as Fred Weil
- Richard Schiff as Walter Pincus
- Andy García as Norwin Meneses
- Robert Patrick as Ronny Quail
- Michael K. Williams as "Freeway" Rick Ross
- Jena Sims as Little Hottie
- Joshua Close as Rich Kline
- Yul Vazquez as Danilo Blandon
- Robert Pralgo as Sheriff Nelson
- Lucas Hedges as Ian Webb
- Michael Rose as Jonathan Yarnold
- Matthew Lintz as Eric Webb
- Michael H. Cole as Pete Carey
- David Lee Garver as Douglas Farah
- Andrew Masset as Johnathan Krim
The film has received positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a "Certified Fresh" rating of 77%, based on 95 reviews, with an average rating of 6.8/10. The site's consensus reads, "Kill the Messenger's potent fury over the tale of its real-life subject overrides its factual inaccuracies and occasional narrative stumbles." On Metacritic, the film currently has a rating of 60 out of 100, based on 33 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "KILL THE MESSENGER (15)". British Board of Film Classification. February 10, 2015. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Kill the Messenger (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Cunningham, Todd (5 March 2014). "Jeremy Renner's ‘Kill the Messenger’ Gets Fall Release Date". thewrap.com. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Jeremy Renner movie, ‘Kill the Messenger’, filming in Decatur, GA". onlocationvacations.com. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- ""Kill The Messenger" films in east Cobb and downtown". accessatlanta.com. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Nathan Johnson Scoring ‘Kill the Messenger’". filmmusicreporter.com. March 31, 2014. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "‘Kill the Messenger’ Soundtrack Details". filmmusicreporter.com. October 6, 2014. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Kill the Messenger, Starring Jeremy Renner, is Coming in October". ComingSoon.net. March 5, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Kill the Messenger". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Kill the Messenger Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Official website
- Kill the Messenger at the Internet Movie Database
- Kill the Messenger at Box Office Mojo
- Kill the Messenger at Rotten Tomatoes
- Kill the Messenger at Metacritic
- Kill the Messenger at History vs. Hollywood