Killeen–Fort Hood Regional Airport
|Killeen–Fort Hood Regional Airport|
|Location||Fort Hood / Killeen, Texas|
|Elevation AMSL||1,015 ft / 309 m|
Killeen–Fort Hood Regional Airport (IATA: GRK, ICAO: KGRK, FAA LID: GRK) is a small military/commercial joint-use airport that operates alongside Robert Gray Army Airfield. The airport is based inside the south end of the Fort Hood Military Reservation (known as West Fort Hood), six nautical miles (7 mi, 11 km) southwest of the central business district of Killeen, Texas, in unincorporated Bell County. The commercial side replaced the old Killeen Municipal Airport (now Skylark Field), which was unable to expand.
As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 232,299 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 231,500 enplanements in 2009, and 243,861 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service airport (more than 10,000 enplanements per year).
Facilities and aircraft
The airport has one runway designated 15/33 with a PEM (Porous European Mix) surface measuring 10,000 by 200 feet (3,048 x 61 m). For the 12-month period ending April 10, 2010, the airport had 12,208 aircraft operations, an average of 33 per day: 98.5% scheduled commercial and 1.5% general aviation (military aircraft operations were not included). For the 12-month period ending August 31, 2015, the airport had 16,318 aircraft operations consisting of 55.9% scheduled commercial, 43.7% military, and 0.37% general aviation.
Airlines and destinations
Killeen Regional Airport currently offers 2 non-stop destinations.
It is not uncommon to see NCAA football charters parked at gates 1 and 6 for away teams facing the University of Mary Hardin–Baylor, or for the university itself. Usual airlines for these charters include Sun Country, Xtra Airways, and Southwest Airlines
On November 27, 2017 Delta announced that service would no longer continue to Killeen and it was ended on January 15, 2018.
|American Airlines||Dallas/Fort Worth|
|1||Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas||89,000|
|3||Houston (Intercontinental), Texas||20,000|
- "Your Central Texas Airport". www.flykilleen.net.
- FAA Airport Master Record for GRK ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF). faa.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF, 2.03 MB) on September 27, 2012.
- "Allegiant Air Pulls Service from Killeen-Ft. Hood Regional Airport".
- "RITA | BTS | Transtats". Bureau of Transportation Statistics. January 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- Killeen–Fort Hood Regional Airport, official site
- "Fort Hood / Killeen, Robert Gray AAF (GRK)" (PDF). at Texas DOT Airport Directory
- Aerial image as of February 1995 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective August 16, 2018
- FAA Terminal Procedures for GRK, effective August 16, 2018
- Resources for this airport: