Killer Be Killed
Killer Be Killed
|Past members||Dave Elitch|
Killer Be Killed is an American heavy metal supergroup founded by The Dillinger Escape Plan vocalist Greg Puciato and Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy and ex-Sepultura frontman Max Cavalera in early 2011. The lineup also features Mastodon bassist and co-vocalist Troy Sanders and Converge drummer Ben Koller. The band had slowly been working on material before announcing its name in October 2013, along with their signing to Nuclear Blast. The group's self-titled debut record was released on May 13, 2014. On September 4, 2020 the supergroup announced their return with a new single and released their second album Reluctant Hero on November 20, 2020.
Formation, early years and self-titled (2011–2015)
The band was first announced in February 2011, when Metal Hammer reported news of Puciato and Cavalera planning a new project in the vein of Cavalera's Nailbomb band with Alex Newport in the mid 1990s. Shortly afterwards, The Mars Volta's Dave Elitch and Mastodon bassist Troy Sanders were announced to be part of the project. Converge bassist Nate Newton was originally eyed to be included in the project, but was unable to join, so Cavalera reached out to Sanders instead. Despite not yet having a name, the group entered the Fortress Studio in Los Angeles in September 2013 with producer Josh Wilbur.
In October 2013, the band revealed Killer Be Killed as their name and announced that their first album would be released through Nuclear Blast. In March 2014, an announcement confirmed that the band's debut album would be self-titled, Killer Be Killed, and would be released on May 13, 2014. On March 14, 2014, two songs from the upcoming eponymous debut, "Wings of Feather and Wax", and "Face Down" were made available for streaming.
Upcoming album (2016–2020)
In an interview with Full Metal Jackie, Cavalera said he'd love to do another Killer Be Killed album; "I’d love to do a little bit with Killer Be Killed … We did one record and it was very well received, and I think we can do a better one than that. I think we can really — if we work hard on it — we can make a kick ass second Killer Be Killed album." In a 2016 Facebook update Koller announced there is "whispers in the dark of a new Killer Be Killed album". In April 2018, Max Cavalera confirmed that the band were convening in Phoenix to write and rehearse new material in Soulfly's rehearsal space, with the aim of releasing a new album in 2019, though a release has not surfaced since that time.
Reluctant Hero (2020-present)
On Friday, September 4, 2020 the band released a brand new song called "Deconstructing Self-Destruction" which features Max, Greg, Troy and Ben credited as writers. The song is the first single off their second album Reluctant Hero which is set for release on November 20, 2020 via Nuclear Blast Records. Wall of Sound broke the news after digging up the album's artwork and tracklisting.
On October 9, 2020, the band released their second single from the album called "Dream Gone Bad".
In an interview with Wall of Sound, bassist Troy Sanders explained why the second album's recording process was kept a secret; "I mentioned to my guys 'every time we get together and work on something, let’s just keep it to ourselves’ so we don’t create any type of buzz or excitement to our small handful of fans." Reluctant Hero was released in November 20, 2020.
Commenting on the writing process of their first album, Cavalera told Decibel that the record will be "politically charged" and that the composition will be a merging of styles of each of its members. In a press release, Puciato characterizes the style, "It's a bit of Sabbath-y doom, a bit of thrash, a bit of hardcore and punk" continuing, "Of any of our bands, it sounds the furthest away from mine...", whereas critics have described the band's sound as a progressive form of groove metal, incorporating elements of melodic metalcore, hardcore punk, crossover thrash and progressive rock.
- Current members
- Greg Puciato – vocals, guitars (2011–present)
- Max Cavalera – vocals, guitars (2011–present)
- Troy Sanders – vocals, bass guitar (2012–present)
- Ben Koller – drums, percussion (2015–present)
- Live/session members
- Juan Montoya – guitars (2015–present)
- Former members
- Dave Elitch – drums, percussion (2012–2015)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Killer Be Killed||
Singles and music videos
|2014||"Wings of Feather and Wax"||Thomas Mignone||Killer Be Killed|
|"Snakes of Jehovah"|
|2015||"Curb Crusher"||Neal Walters|
|2020||"Dream Gone Bad"||Jim Louvau & Tony Aguilera||Reluctant Hero|
|"Inner Calm From Outer Storms"|
|"From A Crowded Wound"||Costin Chioreanu|
Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2015||Killer Be Killed||Best Live Band||Nominated|
- Project Featuring MAX CAVALERA, GREG PUCIATO, TROY SANDERS Gets Name Blabbermouth.net. October 18, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Max Cavalera/Greg Puciato/Troy Sanders Supergroup Finds a Label Home MetalSucks. October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Killer Be Killed Featuring Cavalera, Puciato, Sanders: Debut Album Cover Artwork Revealed Blabbermouth.net. March 10, 2014. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- brownypaul (2020-09-03). "Killer Be Killed Debut New Song 'Deconstructing Self-Destruction' + Reluctant Hero Album Info". Wall Of Sound. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- Greg Puciato & Max Cavalera Team Up For Nailbomb Inspired Project Archived 2013-10-21 at the Wayback Machine Metal Hammer. February 22, 2011. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mastodon’s Troy Sanders is Joining Max Cavalera and Greg Puciato’s Supergroup MetalSucks. October 31, 2012. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Adams, Gregory (October 23, 2013). "Sepultura, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan Supergroup Killer Be Killed Prep LP for 2014". Exclaim!. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Watson, Ross (April 30, 2014). "Murder Ballads: Dillinger Escape Plan's Greg Puciato unveils Killer Be Killed". The Skinny. Radge Media. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Max Cavalera/Greg Puciato/Troy Sanders Supergroup Begins Recording Debut MetalSucks. September 6, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Rosenberg, Axl (March 14, 2014). "Killer Be Killed Have Released Their First Two Songs!". MetalSucks. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "Killer Be Killed add Koller to lineup". Metal Hammer. July 31, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2020.
- "Max Cavalera Wants To Do Another KILLER BE KILLED (MASTODON, CONVERGE, Etc.) Record - Metal Injection". Metalinjection.net. 2016-12-13. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "CONVERGE To Begin Working On New Album - Metal Injection". Metalinjection.net. 2017-01-02. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "KILLER BE KILLED Featuring CAVALERA, PUCIATO, SANDERS: Second Album In The Works". Blabbermouth.net. 4 April 2018. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- brownypaul (2020-10-08). "Get Your First Taste Of Killer Be Killed's Brand New Single 'Dream Gone Bad'". Wall Of Sound. Retrieved 2020-10-08.
- brownypaul (2020-10-27). "Troy Sanders – Killer Be Killed 'The Chemistry And Comradery Of A Supergroup'". Wall Of Sound. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- Norton, Justin M. (December 2013). "Studio Report". Decibel Magazine. 110: 20.
- Hartmann, Graham (October 25, 2013). "Soulfly, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon + Mars Volta Members Announce Killer Be Killed Album". Loudwire. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Metaldescent.com". Metaldescent.com. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Killer Be Killed Billboard Albums Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Australian Albums Chart". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Belgian Albums Chart". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Discographie von Killer Be Killed". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved November 25, 2020.
- "Killer Be Killed Japanease Albums Chart". Oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Swiss Albums Chart". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed UK Albums Chart". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- "KILLER BE KILLED: Debut Album First-Week Sales Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Supergroup Killer Be Killed Announce New Album, Reluctant Hero". Kerrang.com. Retrieved 11 October 2020.
- "Killer Be Killed: 'Wings Of Feather And Wax' Video Released". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed: 'Curb Crusher' Video Released". Blabbermouth. March 19, 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2020.
- Wookubus (June 15, 2015). "2015 Metal Hammer 'Golden Gods Awards' Winners Revealed". Theprp. Retrieved November 21, 2020.