Killer Be Killed
Killer Be Killed
|Past members||Dave Elitch|
Killer Be Killed is an American heavy metal supergroup founded by The Dillinger Escape Plan vocalist Greg Puciato and Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy and ex-Sepultura frontman Max Cavalera in early 2011. The lineup also features Mastodon bassist and co-vocalist Troy Sanders and Converge drummer Ben Koller. The band had slowly been working on material before announcing its name in October 2013, along with their signing to Nuclear Blast. The group's self-titled debut record was released on May 13, 2014. As of August 2017 they have sold more than 11,000 Records.
Formation, early years and self-titled (2011–2015)
The band was first announced in February 2011, when Metal Hammer reported news of Puciato and Cavalera planning a new project in the vein of Cavalera's Nailbomb band with Alex Newport in the mid 1990s. Shortly afterwards, The Mars Volta's Dave Elitch and Mastodon bassist Troy Sanders were announced to be part of the project. Converge bassist Nate Newton was originally eyed to be included in the project, but was unable to join, so Cavalera reached out to Sanders instead. Despite not yet having a name, the group entered the Fortress Studio in Los Angeles in September 2013 with producer Josh Wilbur.
In October 2013, the band revealed Killer Be Killed as their name and announced that their first album would be released through Nuclear Blast. In March 2014, an announcement confirmed that the band's debut album would be self-titled, Killer Be Killed, and would be released on May 13, 2014. On March 14, 2014, two songs from the upcoming eponymous debut, "Wings of Feather and Wax", and "Face Down" were made available for streaming.
In 2015, it was announced that Elitch left the band because of a dispute between the band members and managers (Ryan J. Downey, Nick Jon, Gloria Cavalera) and conflict of being in Antemasque as well. Converge drummer Ben Koller filled in for the band's live debut at Soundwave Festival and eventually became an official member.
Upcoming album (2016–present)
In an interview with Full Metal Jackie, Cavalera said he'd love to do another Killer Be Killed album; "I’d love to do a little bit with Killer Be Killed … We did one record and it was very well received, and I think we can do a better one than that. I think we can really — if we work hard on it — we can make a kick ass second Killer Be Killed album." In a 2016 Facebook update Koller announced there is "whispers in the dark of a new Killer Be Killed album". In April 2018, Max Cavalera confirmed that the band were convening in Phoenix to write and rehearse new material in Soulfly's rehearsal space, with the aim of releasing a new album in 2019.
Commenting on the writing process of their first album, Cavalera told Decibel that the record will be "politically charged" and that the composition will be a merging of styles of each of its members. In a press release, Puciato characterizes the style, "It's a bit of Sabbath-y doom, a bit of thrash, a bit of hardcore and punk" continuing, "Of any of our bands, it sounds the furthest away from mine...", whereas critics have described the band's sound as a progressive form of groove metal, incorporating elements of melodic metalcore, hardcore punk, crossover thrash and progressive rock.
- Current members
- Greg Puciato – vocals, guitars (2011–present)
- Max Cavalera – vocals, guitars (2011–present)
- Troy Sanders – vocals, bass guitar (2012–present)
- Juan Montoya – guitars (2015–present)
- Ben Koller – drums, percussion (2015–present)
- Former members
- Dave Elitch – drums, percussion (2012–2015)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Killer Be Killed||
Singles and Music videos
|2014||"Wings of Feather and Wax"||Thomas Mignone||Killer Be Killed|
|"Snakes of Jehovah"|
|2015||"Curb Crusher"||Neal Walters|
Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards
|2015||Killer Be Killed||Best Live Band||Nominated|
- Project Featuring MAX CAVALERA, GREG PUCIATO, TROY SANDERS Gets Name Blabbermouth.net. October 18, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Max Cavalera/Greg Puciato/Troy Sanders Supergroup Finds a Label Home MetalSucks. October 15, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Killer Be Killed Featuring Cavalera, Puciato, Sanders: Debut Album Cover Artwork Revealed Blabbermouth.net. March 10, 2014. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Greg Puciato & Max Cavalera Team Up For Nailbomb Inspired Project Archived 2013-10-21 at the Wayback Machine. Metal Hammer. February 22, 2011. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mastodon’s Troy Sanders is Joining Max Cavalera and Greg Puciato’s Supergroup MetalSucks. October 31, 2012. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Adams, Gregory (October 23, 2013). "Sepultura, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan Supergroup Killer Be Killed Prep LP for 2014". Exclaim!. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Watson, Ross (April 30, 2014). "Murder Ballads: Dillinger Escape Plan's Greg Puciato unveils Killer Be Killed". The Skinny. Radge Media. Retrieved February 22, 2015.
- Max Cavalera/Greg Puciato/Troy Sanders Supergroup Begins Recording Debut MetalSucks. September 6, 2013. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Rosenberg, Axl (March 14, 2014). "Killer Be Killed Have Released Their First Two Songs!". MetalSucks. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Downey, Ryan J. (August 30, 2015). "Ryan Downey of Alternative Press / Superhero Management". Interviewed by Trav Turner and Seth Werkheiser. As The Story Grows. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- "Max Cavalera Wants To Do Another KILLER BE KILLED (MASTODON, CONVERGE, Etc.) Record - Metal Injection". Metal Injection. 2016-12-13. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "CONVERGE To Begin Working On New Album - Metal Injection". Metal Injection. 2017-01-02. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Norton, Justin M. (December 2013). "Studio Report". Decibel Magazine. 110: 20.
- Hartmann, Graham (October 25, 2013). "Soulfly, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon + Mars Volta Members Announce Killer Be Killed Album". Loudwire. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Metal Descent - Killer Be Killed".
- "Killer Be Killed Billboard Albums Chart". www.billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Australian Albums Chart". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed German Albums Chart". musicline.de. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Swiss Albums Chart". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed UK Albums Chart". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Japanease Albums Chart". www.oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Killer Be Killed Belgian Albums Chart". www.ultratop.be. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "KILLER BE KILLED: Debut Album First-Week Sales Revealed". www.blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "KILLER BE KILLED: 'Wings Of Feather And Wax' Video Released". www.blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-07-14.