Killers of the Flower Moon
First edition cover design
|Subject||Osage Indian murders|
|April 18, 2017|
|Media type||Print, e-book|
|Pages||352 pp. (hardcover)|
|Preceded by||The Devil and Sherlock Holmes|
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI is the third non-fiction book by American journalist David Grann. The book was released on April 18, 2017 by Doubleday.
The book investigates a series of murders of wealthy Osage people that took place in Osage County, Oklahoma in the early 1920s—after big oil deposits were discovered beneath their land. Officially, the count of the murdered full-blood wealthy Osage native Americans reaches at least 20, but Grann suspects that hundreds more may have been killed because of their ties to oil. The book reports cattleman William Hale as the mastermind standing behind the murders and presents detailed evidence.
Imperative Entertainment is said to pay $5 million for the rights to adapt the book to film with Eric Roth set to write the screenplay. As of July 14, 2017, Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio are developing a film adaptation of the book. Filming is expected to start in spring 2019. Robert De Niro is also rumored to be in talks for a role in the film.
Sean Woods of Rolling Stone wrote: "In his masterful new book Killers of the Flower Moon: the Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, which comes out this week, Grann chronicles a tale of murder, betrayal, heroism and a nation's struggle to leave its frontier culture behind and enter the modern world... Filled with almost mythic characters from our past – stoic Texas Rangers, corrupt robber barons, private detectives, and murderous desperadoes like the Al Spencer gang – Grann's story amounts to a secret history of the American frontier."
A reviewer of Publishers Weekly stated "New Yorker staff writer Grann (The Lost City of Z) burnishes his reputation as a brilliant storyteller in this gripping true-crime narrative, which revisits a baffling and frightening—and relatively unknown—spree of murders occurring mostly in Oklahoma during the 1920s."
Ed Vulliamy of The Guardian said "The genocide by white America against Native nations during the century leading up to Grann’s period is a metaphor for humanity’s decimation of the natural world which the Natives saw as sacred. Grann’s book is a timely and disturbing chapter in the original, terrible atrocity."
- GRANN, DAVID (May 18, 2017). "The Rare Archival Photos Behind 'Killers of the Flower Moon'". Atlas Obscura. atlasobscura.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Eggers, Dave (28 April 2017). "Solving a Reign of Terror Against Native Americans". The New York Times. nytimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann". Goodreads. goodreads.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann". Kirkus Reviews. kirkusreviews.com. 2 February 2017. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Howorth, Claire (November 21, 2017). "The Top 10 Non-Fiction Books of 2017". Time. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- "Killers Of The Flower Moon The Osage Murders And The Birth Of The FBI by DAVID GRANN". NPR. npr.org. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Killers of the Flower Moon THE OSAGE MURDERS AND THE BIRTH OF THE FBI By DAVID GRANN". penguinrandomhouse.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Whaley, Monte (13 July 2017). ""Killers of the Flower Moon": Murdering the Osage for ill-gotten gains". The Denver Post. denverpost.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Howorth, Claire (April 13, 2017). "David Grann's Killers of the Flower Moon Is Unsurprisingly Extraordinary". Time. time.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Giroux, Jack (July 15, 2017). "Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio May Shoot 'Killers of the Flower Moon' Early Next Year". Slashfilm. slashfilm.com. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Busch, Anita (April 21, 2017). "Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro Eyeing 'Killers Of The Flower Moon' From Eric Roth Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Vivarelli, Nick (July 14, 2017). "Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese Teaming Up for New Movie". Variety. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- Woods, Sean (April 17, 2017). "'Killers of the Flower Moon': Inside David Grann's New True-Crime Epic". Rolling Stone. rollingstone.com.
- "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI". Publishers Weekly. publishersweekly.com. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Vulliamy, Ed (1 May 2017). "Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann – review". The Guardian. theguardian.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.