Killing Reagan (film)
Television release poster
|Based on||Killing Reagan|
by Bill O'Reilly
|Screenplay by||Eric Simonson|
|Directed by||Rod Lurie|
Kyle S. More
Michael H. Cole
|Country of origin||United States|
|Producer(s)||Diane L. Sabatini|
|Running time||100 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Scott Free Productions|
|Original network||National Geographic Channel|
Killing Reagan is a 2016 American television drama film directed by Rod Lurie and written by Eric Simonson. It is based on the 2015 book of the same name by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. The film stars Tim Matheson, Cynthia Nixon, Joe Chrest, Joel Murray, Kyle S. More, and Michael H. Cole. The film premiered on October 16, 2016, on the National Geographic Channel.
The film opens at a Jimmy Carter re-election campaign rally in Nashville, Tennessee.
William Casey is serving as Reagan's campaign manager in 1980.
Hinckley is seen purchasing a Rohm gun. On October 28, 1980, Reagan and Carter debate in Cleveland, Ohio. Later, Hinckley hears about the assassination of John Lennon and develops a fascination with Mark David Chapman.
- Tim Matheson as Ronald Reagan
- Cynthia Nixon as Nancy Reagan
- Jeff Harlan as Michael Deaver
- Joe Chrest as Jerry Parr
- Joel Murray as Edwin Meese
- Kyle S. More as John Hinckley Jr.
- Michael H. Cole as James Brady
- Geoff Pierson as James Baker
- Patrick St. Esprit as Alexander Haig
- Ashley LeConte Campbell as Jim Baker's Secretary
- Gary Weeks as Stephen Colo
- Mike Pniewski as Jack Hinckley
- Leander Suleiman as Dr. Joyce Mitchell
- Rebecca Tilney as Jo Ann Hinckley
- Kristen Shaw as Cheryl Chris
- James Martin Kelly as Donald Regan
- Daniel Thomas May as David Stockman
- Jason Vail as Dennis McCarthy
- Kendrick Cross as Danny Spriggs
- Katia Lara as Jodie Foster
- Bill Winkler as Caspar Weinberger
- Dustin Lewis as Ted Graber
- Jeff Rose as George Opfer
- Anthony Collins as Dr. F Fagan
- Amber Erwin as Katie
- Keith Hudson as Rocky
- John L. Smith Jr. as Jimmy Carter
- David Alexander as George Chmiel
- Brian F. Durkin as Detective Eddie Myers
- Jim Dougherty as Judge William Higgins
- Kathrine Barnes as Kat
- Tom Hillmann as Dr. Joseph Giordano
- Joseph Lacy as Ray Shaddick
- Chris Hlozek as Robert Wanko
- David A. MacDonald as Tim McCarthy
- Sue Cremin as Nurse Wendy Koenig
- Annie Humphrey as Sarah Brady
- Trey McGriff as David C. Fischer
- Darian Fisher as Kent Wood
On September 22, 2015, the National Geographic Channel and Scott Free Productions acquired rights to the book Killing Reagan. On May 6, 2016, Tim Matheson and Cynthia Nixon joined the cast to play Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan.
|2017||Critics' Choice Television Awards||Best Actor in a Movie or Limited Series||Tim Matheson||Nominated|
|Best Actress in a Movie or Limited Series||Cynthia Nixon||Nominated|
|Best Movie or Limited Series||Killing Reagan||Nominated|
- Hipes, Patrick (2016-08-02). "'Killing Reagan' Gets October Premiere Date On Nat Geo". Deadline. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- Whitney Friedlander (2015-09-22). "Bill O'Reily's 'Killing Reagan' to Be National Geographic Movie". Variety. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- Lisa de Moraes (2016-05-06). "Tim Matheson, Cynthia Nixon Cast As Ronald & Nancy Reagan In 'Killing Reagan'". Deadline. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Critics' Choice Television Awards: HBO Leads 22 Nominations". Indie Wire. November 14, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2016.