|Elevation||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Area||9.3 sq mi (24.1 km2)|
|- land||8.5 sq mi (22 km2)|
|- water||0.9 sq mi (2 km2), 9.68%|
|Density||94.1/sq mi (36.3/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
Killona is located at (29.999471, -90.487081).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 9.3 square miles (24 km2), of which 8.5 square miles (22 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (9.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 797 people, 252 households, and 191 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 94.1 people per square mile (36.3/km²). There were 284 housing units at an average density of 33.5 per square mile (12.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 7.40% White, 91.72% African American, 0.88% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.63% of the population.
There were 252 households out of which 42.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.3% were married couples living together, 34.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.16 and the average family size was 3.65.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 35.5% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 30.7% from 25 to 44, 15.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 89.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $19,659, and the median income for a family was $19,310. Males had a median income of $25,119 versus $20,972 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $7,524. About 39.5% of families and 40.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 46.6% of those under age 18 and 32.9% of those age 65 or over.
St. Charles Parish Public School System operates public schools:
Place of interest
Killona is home to the following:
- Waterford 3—Operated by Entergy Nuclear, Waterford Nuclear Generating Station (aka Waterford 3), produces roughly 10% of power for the state of Louisiana.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Hahnville High School" (Archive). AdvancED. p. 4/9. Retrieved on December 3, 2016. "Hahnville High School services all students on the west bank of the Mississippi River in St. Charles Parish, including the communities of Ama, Boutte, Hahnville, Luling, Paradis, Des Allemands and Killona."
- "Entergy Nuclear - Waterford 3". Entergy Nuclear. Retrieved 2015-10-27.