Killswitch Engage (2009 album)
|Studio album by Killswitch Engage|
|Released||June 30, 2009|
|Recorded||2008 - 2009|
|Producer||Brendan O'Brien, Adam Dutkiewicz|
|Killswitch Engage chronology|
Special Edition cover
|Singles from Killswitch Engage|
Killswitch Engage is the fifth studio album by American metalcore band Killswitch Engage. It was released on June 30, 2009 through Roadrunner Records. It is the band's second album to be self-titled, the first being their debut album. It was produced by Adam Dutkiewicz and Brendan O'Brien. The album's reception from critics and fans has been generally mixed, with praise directed towards Howard Jones' vocals and criticism directed towards Dutkiewicz's and O'Brien's production and the album's reliance on formula.
It was supported by three singles, "Reckoning", "Starting Over", and "Save Me", as well as two music videos. This is the band's final studio album to feature Howard Jones on lead vocals.
In February 2009, bassist Mike D'Antonio confirmed in an interview with Metal Hammer that "drums were finished", and that he had "finished up the last few bass fixes". He also stated that Howard [Jones] is in Atlanta finishing vocals, and that "it shouldn’t be too much longer now." The album's name was announced on April 14, and was revealed to be their second self-titled album since their debut album of the same name.
Before the album's release, "A Light In a Darkened World" was added to the band's setlist in the first half of 2009. The band also performed it at the 2009 Golden Gods Awards. On May 28, 2009, the band's official fanclub, Take This Oath, were granted access to listen to the track "Reckoning". It was released as a promotional single the following day, and was available as a free download on Roadrunner Records' official website.
Release and promotion
The album was released on June 30, 2009 through Roadrunner Records. It debuted at number 7 on the Billboard 200, selling more than 58,000 copies in its first week, making it the band's highest charting album to date. A special edition and vinyl record was released on the same day.
If the album was pre-ordered on the band's official website, the buyer would be entered into a drawing to win a custom Parker P44 guitar with artwork from the album as the paint job.
The album's first official single, "Starting Over", was available for digital download on June 6, 2009. It charted at number 30 on the Billboard Rock Songs Chart. A music video for the track was shot in early 2009 and directed by Lex Halaby. The video was premiered on VH1 on June 5, and on MTV the following the day. On May 24, 2010, a trailer of the music video for the album's third single, "Save Me", was released on the band's website. The video premiered on Craveonline the following day. The entire video was created using claymation, and depicts the band members saving lead vocalist Howard Jones from aliens.
The review aggregator site Metacritic scored the album a 72 out of 100, based on the reviews of 6 critics, which indicates "generally favorable reviews". While praise has been generated around Howard Jones' vocals and the album's stylistic use of the metalcore and post-hardcore genres, criticism has been directed towards Adam Dutkiewicz's and Brendan O'Brien's production as well as the band's reliance on formula. James Christopher Monger of Allmusic gave the album a positive review, scoring the album a 3.5 out of 5, commenting that "where 2006's "As Daylight Dies" hinted at an accelerated focus on the more melodic aspects of extreme metal, Killswitch Engage cements the notion." Monger indicated "Starting Over", "Reckoning", and "A Light In a Darkened World" as his AMG track picks. Alternative Press gave a positive review as well, scoring the album a 4 out of 5, saying "this album isn't going to change the way you think about metal, but Killswitch Engage aren't Mastodon; they just want to get the pit going, and this album will surely accomplish that."
However, Christa Titus of Billboard gave the album a mixed review, scoring it a 50 out of 100. While positively commenting, "As an act that forsakes breakdowns and unintelligible screaming in favor of focused aggression and predictable melodic swells, you can't help but enjoy such quintessential Killswitch Engage tracks as "Never Again" or the Metallica-esque chords that open "The Forgotten," the review concluded, "Aside from a few unique moments ("The Return," "Take Me Away"), there's not much new to report here." Adrien Begrand of PopMatters gave a mixed review as well, scoring the album a 5 out of 10. While praising Howard Jones' vocals, commenting "With its contemplative tone and sense of melodrama, the contagious "Starting Over" borders on post-hardcore and features some of Jones’s strongest vocal melodies to date," and ""Reckoning" and "This is Goodbye" feature some very effective melodic death metal touches reminiscent of Swedish stars In Flames and Soilwork, while "The Return" is a daring foray into teary-eyed power balladry, a terrific showcase for Jones," the review criticized Adam Dutkiewicz's and Brendan O'Brien's overall production, commenting, "Unfortunately, though, the production by Dutkiewicz and mainstream go-to guy Brendan O’Brien strips the guitars of any bite whatsoever, rendering the overall tone surprisingly muddy and often flaccid, something we notice most on tracks like "Never Again" and "The Forgotten", which play up the crunchy riffs, but completely lack the power they deserve on record."
- All lyrics written by Howard Jones, all music composed by Killswitch Engage.
|6.||"A Light in a Darkened World"||2:50|
|7.||"Take Me Away"||2:45|
|8.||"I Would Do Anything"||3:22|
|11.||"This Is Goodbye"||4:17|
|Special Edition Bonus Tracks|
|12.||"In a Dead World"||4:14|
|13.||"Rose of Sharyn" (Live)||3:48|
|14.||"My Curse" (Live)||4:26|
|15.||"Holy Diver (Dio Cover)" (Live)||5:07|
|iTunes Pre-Order Exclusive Tracks|
|12.||"A Light In a Darkened World" (Live)||3:05|
- Special Edition DVD
- 'Making Of' Documentary
- Exclusive band interviews
- Killswitch Engage
- Mike D'Antonio – bass guitar
- Adam Dutkiewicz – lead guitar, backing vocals
- Justin Foley – drums
- Howard Jones – lead vocals
- Joel Stroetzel – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Produced by Adam Dutkiewicz and Brendan O'Brien
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart||12|
|Austrian Albums Chart||3|
|Dutch Albums Chart||77|
|Finnish Albums Chart||15|
|Japanese Albums Chart||60|
|New Zealand Top 40 Albums Chart||24|
|Swedish Albums Chart||52|
|Swiss Albums Chart||51|
|UK Albums Chart||29|
|US Billboard 200||7|
- "Reckoning – Killswitch Engage". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "R&R Going For Adds: Active Rock (Week Of: October 27, 2009)". Radio & Records. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- Save Me (track listing). Killswitch Engage. Roadrunner Records. 2009.
- "KILLSWITCH ENGAGE Parts Ways With Singer HOWARD JONES". Blabbermouth.net. January 4, 2012.
- "KILLSWITCH ENGAGE ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM IN WORKS!". Blabbermouth.net. 2009-12-04. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- "roadrunnerrecords.com: Killswitch Engage Offer Studio Update – Feb. 19, 2009". Blabbermouth.net. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- RoadrunnerRecords.com: Killswitch Engage - Reckoning
- "Killswitch Engage Announce Listening Parties For New Album". Myspace. June 12, 2009.
- "roadrunnerrecords.com: Killswitch Engage Announce New Album". Blabbermouth.net. 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- ""Starting Over" by Killswitch Engage - Music Video - VH1.com". vh1.com.
- "Killswitch Engage: 'Starting Over' Video To Debut This Weekend - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET.
- "KILLSWITCH ENGAGE".
- "World Premiere: Killswitch Engage 'Save Me' Video - CraveOnline". CraveOnline.
- "Billboard Review". Archived from the original on April 25, 2012.
- "CD Reviews - Killswitch Engage Killswitch Engage - Blabbermouth.net". BLABBERMOUTH.NET.
- Decibel Magazine September 2009 Issue #59
- NME.COM. "Album review: Killswitch Engage - 'Killswitch Engage'". NME.COM.
- "Killswitch Engage". PopMatters.
- "Reviews for Killswitch Engage  by Killswitch Engage - Metacritic". Metacritic.
- "Killswitch Engage ". AllMusic.
- "Tracklisting". www.play.com. 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Connecting to the iTunes Store.".
- "Killswitch Engage Australian album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage Austrian album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage Dutch album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage Swiss album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "キルスウィッチ・エンゲイジのCDアルバムランキング、キルスウィッチ・エンゲイジのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- "Killswitch Engage New Zealand album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage Swedish album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage Swiss album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage UK album chart". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Killswitch Engage – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Killswitch Engage.