St Marys Church, Kilmington
Kilmington shown within Wiltshire
|Population||328 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||BA12 6|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||South West Wiltshire|
Kilmington is a village and civil parish in the extreme west of Wiltshire, England, about 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Warminster. The parish includes the hamlets of Kilmington Common and Norton Ferris.
It lies on the northern edge of the ancient Selwood Forest. Whitesheet Hill is in the far east of the parish, and Long Knoll (288m above sea level) is a long ridge on the northern boundary of the parish.
In 1556 Kilmington was the scene of the ambush and murder of two members of the Hartgilll family by Charles Stourton, 8th Baron Stourton, for which crime he was convicted and executed.
The school at Kilmington caters for the younger pupils of Whitesheet Church of England Primary Academy, while older children attend the school at Zeals. The first school at Kilmington was built circa 1830 and replaced by a new building in 1874, attended by children of all ages until 1930 when it became a junior school. The building was enlarged in 1967 and pupil numbers increased in 1968 after the closure of the school at Maiden Bradley. In 2003 Kilmington school amalgamated with Zeals, forming a two-site school.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "Church of St. Mary, Kilmington". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of St Mary, Kilmington (1318459)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Methodist Chapel, Kilmington". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Records created by Kilmington Wesleyan Methodist Church". The National Archives. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Kilmington CP/AP". A Vision of Britain through Time. University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Somerset Hundreds". GENUKI. Retrieved 18 October 2011.
- "Whitesheet Church of England VA Primary School, Kilmington". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
Media related to Kilmington, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons