Kim & Chang
|Headquarters||Seoul, South Korea|
|No. of attorneys||1,200+|
|Founder||Young Moo Kim|
The firm employs a number of attorneys educated, trained, and licensed in overseas jurisdictions, coming from the United States, Japan, China, and countries throughout Europe. Approximately 20 percent of its lawyers are foreign-qualified, and it has a division of around 200 personnel devoted to Japan-related practice. In addition to attorneys, the firm employs patent attorneys, tax attorneys, economists, and industry-specific experts.
In October 2016, Kim & Chang was included in the world’s top 100 law firms announced by the U.S. law magazine The American Lawyer. The magazine drew up the list based on global law firms’ 2015 revenue and Kim & Chang ranked 59th with $686 million. It was the first time for a Korean law firm to join the world’s top 100 list. In 2017, the firm posted a revenue of 1.01 trillion won ($933.4 million), becoming Korea’s first law firm to set a revenue milestone of 1 trillion won. 
Kim & Chang was founded by attorney Young Moo Kim in 1973. Kim had studied in the United States for several years, obtaining a Master of Comparative Law degree from the University of Chicago Law School in 1967 and a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School in 1970. Based on his experience, he sought to create a Korean law firm that followed American standards of legal service, and was the first recruiter of foreign attorneys in Korea. Once Kim established the firm in January 1973, a former judge and Kim's longtime friend, Soo Kil Chang joined later that year.
Recognition & Awards
- Kim & Chang recognized as top-tier law firm in all areas in Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2010/11 edition)
- Kim & Chang chosen as leader in all practice areas - IFLR 1000 (2011 edition)
- Kim & Chang named "Korea's Law Firm of the Year" for the fifth time - 2010 Who's Who Legal Awards.
- Winner of the "Client Choice Awards 2010" - International Law Office (ILO)
- Winner of South "Korean Law Firm of the Year" - The Chambers and Partners Asia Awards 2010
- Highest-ranked Asian law firm by Japanese corporate legal departments in the December 2013 Nihon Keizai Shimbun survey.
- "Asia Pacific Law Firm Brand Index 2014", Acritas, archived from the original on 2015-05-21
- Lin, Anthony (1 July 2013). "Korea's Foreign Legion". The Asian Lawyer. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "企業が選ぶ弁護士ランキング 企業法務１位は中村氏". Nihon Keizai Shimbun. 16 December 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Lee, Hyun-Jung (13 February 2018). "Kim & Chang rakes in record high revenue of $933 mn in 2017". Pulse.
- "Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2010/11 edition)", Asia Pacific Legal 500
- "IFLR 1000 (2011 edition)", IFLR 1000
- "Who's Who Legal Awards 2010", Who's Who Legal
- "Client Choice Awards 2010", International Law Office (ILO)[permanent dead link]
- "Chambers Asia Awards 2010" (PDF), Chambers Asia