He received degrees from Curtin University and the University of Melbourne in Australia and a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, USA. His book Framing Places (2nd ed. 2008)explores theories of place as mediators of power, incorporating case studies of politics of public space, housing, shopping malls and corporate towers. His 2005 book Fluid City documents, analyses and critiques the enormous transformations of Melbourne's most important urban waterfronts during the period 1989-2003, over which time the city acquired a set of radical new faces to meet the challenges of globalisation. Becoming Places (2010) explores the formation of place identity and develops a theory of place as dynamic assemblage. Urban Design Thinking (2016) is a broad-ranging application of assemblage thinking in urban design. Current research projects include urban design dimensions of transit-oriented development, informal settlements and creative clusters.
- Dovey, K (2005) Fluid City: Transforming Melbourne's Urban Waterfront, London: Routledge (ISBN 0415359236 (pbk.))
- Dovey, K (2008) Framing Places: Mediating Power in Built Form, 2nd ed, London: Routledge (ISBN 978-0-415-41635-1 (pbk))
- Dovey, K (2010) Becoming Places: Urbanism / Architecture / Identity / Power, London: Routledge (ISBN 978-0-415-41637-5 (pbk.))
- Dovey, K. (2016) Urban Design Thinking: A Conceptual Toolkit, London, Bloomsbury (ISBN 978-1-4725-6694-2)
- Dovey, K. (2013) ‘Informalizing Architecture: The Challenge of Informal Settlements’, in Mosley, J. & Sara, R. (eds) Architecture of Transgression, London: AD Monographs, pp. 82–89.
- King, R. & Dovey, K. (2012) ‘Reading the Bangkok Slum’, in Frenzel, F. et al. (eds) Slum Tourism, London: Routledge. pp. 159–171.
- Dovey, K. (2013) ‘Assembling Architecture’, in Frichot, H. & Loo, S. (eds) Deleuze and Architecture, Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh Press. pp. 131–148.
- Dovey, K. (2013) ‘Planning and Place Identity’ in: Young, G. et al. (eds) The Ashgate Research Companion to Planning and Culture, London: Ashgate, pp. 257–271.
- Dovey, K. (2014) ‘Incremental Urbanism; The Emergence of Informal Settlements’, in Haas, T. & Olsson, K. (eds), Emergent Urbanism, London: Ashgate, pp. 45–54.
- Dovey, K. 'The Politics of Urban Spectacle' in: Global Cities, Local Sites, Straw, W. & Tallack, D. (eds) Melbourne: MUP, Electronic book, 2009. <www.u21onlinebooks.com/index.php/component/option,com_u21>
- Dovey, K. ‘The Global Edifice Complex’, in: J. Nevarez and G. Moser (eds) On Global Grounds, New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2009.
- Dovey, K. Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. 'Senses of Urban Character', in: Vanclay, F. et al. (eds) Making Sense of Place, Canberra: National Museum of Australia, 2008, pp. 229–38.
- Dovey, K. (2007) "I Mean to be Critical But..." in: Rendell, J. et al. (eds) "Critical Architecture", London: Routledge, pp. 252–60.
- Dovey, K. & Polakit, K. (2006) "Urban Slippage: Smooth and Striated Streetscapes in Bangkok", in: Franck, K. & Stevens, Q. (eds) "Loose Space", London: Routledge, pp. 168–193.
- Dovey, K. (2006) 'Architecture' in: Beilharz, P. & Hogan, T. (eds) Sociology: Place, Time and Division, Melbourne: Oxford U.P., pp. 323–327.
- Dovey, K (2005) "Home as Paradox" in: G. Rowles, & H. Chuadhury (eds) Home and Identity in Late Life, New York: Springer, pp. 361–70.
- Dovey, K (2002) "The Silent Complicity of Architecture". In J. Hillier & E.V. Rooksby (eds), Habitus: A sense of place. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 267–280.
- Dovey, K (2001) "The Aesthetics of Place". In B. Cold (ed), Aesthetics, Well-being and Health: Essays within architecture and environmental aesthetics. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 93–101.
- Dovey, K (2001)"On Politics and Urban Space". In J. Barrett & C. Butler-Bowden (eds), Debating the City: An Anthology. Sydney: Historic Houses Trust of NSW and University of Western Sydney, pp. 53–69.
- Jacobs, J., Dovey, K. & Lochert, M. (2000) "Authorizing Aboriginality in Architecture", in L. Lokko (ed), White Papers, Black Marks, Chichester: Wiley, pp. 218–35.
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Aboriginal Cultural Centres", in S. Kleinert, & M. Neale, (eds), The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 419–423.
- Dovey, K. & Ristic, M. (2015) 'Mapping Urban Assemblages: The Production of Spatial Knowledge', Journal of Urbanism. doi:10.1080/17549175.2015.1112298
- Dovey, K. & Pafka, E. (2015) 'The Science of Urban Design?' Urban Design International, doi:10.1057/udi.2015.28
- Wood, S. & Dovey, K. (2015) ‘Creative Multiplicities: The Morphology of Creative Clustering’ Journal of Urban Design, 20 (1), 52–74. DOI:10.1080/13574809.2014.972346
- Dovey, K. & Wood, S. (2015) ‘Public/Private Urban Interfaces: Type, Adaptation, Assemblage’ Journal of Urbanism, 8 (1) 1-16.
- Dovey, K. & Fisher, K. (2014) ‘Designing for Adaptation: The School as Socio-Spatial Assemblage’, Journal of Architecture, 19 (10) 43-63.
- Dovey, K. & Pafka, E. (2014) ‘The Urban Density Assemblage’, Urban Design International. 19 (1) 66-76.
- Owen, C., Dovey, K. & Raharjo, W. (2013) ‘Teaching Informal Urbanism: Simulating Informal Settlement Practices in the Design Studio’, Journal of Architectural Education, 67 (2) 214-223
- King, R. & Dovey, K. (2013) ‘Interstitial Metamorphoses: Informal urbanism and the tourist gaze’, Environment & Planning D: Society and Space 31(6) 1022 – 1040.
- Dovey, K. & Symons, F. (2013) ‘Density without Intensity and what to do about it’, Australian Planner, 51 (1) 34-46.
- Dovey, K. (2012) ‘Informal Settlement and Complex Adaptive Assemblage’, International Development Planning Review, 34 (3) 371-90.
- Dovey, K. & King, R. (2012) ‘Informal Urbanism and the Taste for Slums’, Tourism Geographies, 14 (2) 275-93.
- Woodcock, I., Dovey, K. & Davison, G. (2012) ‘Envisioning the Compact City’ Australian Planner, 49 (1), 65-78.
- Davison, G., Dovey, K. & Woodcock, I. (2012) ‘Keeping Dalston Different’, Planning Theory & Practice, 13 (1) 47-69.
- Dovey, K., Wollan, S. & Woodcock, I. (2012) ‘Placing Graffiti’ Journal of Urban Design, 17 (1): 21-41.
- Dovey, K. (2011) ‘Uprooting Critical Urbanism’, City, 15 (3/4), 347-54.
- Woodcock, I. Dovey, K., Wollan, S. & Beyerle, A., Modelling the compact city: Capacities and visions for Melbourne, Australian Planner, 47 (2), 2010, pp. 94–104.
- Dovey, K., Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. ‘A Test of Character’ Urban Studies, 46 (1/2) 1-21.
- Dovey, K., Woodcock, I. & Wood, S. ‘Understanding Neighbourhood Character’, Australian Planner, 46 (3), September 2009.
- Woodcock, I., Dovey, K. & Wood, S. ‘ The Character of the Compact City: Intensification and resident opposition’, Urban Planning International, 23 (5), 2008, pp. 35–43.
- Owen, C. & Dovey, K. ‘Fields of Sustainable Architecture’, Journal of Architecture, 13 (1), 2007, pp. 9–21.
- Stevens, Q. & Dovey, K. (2004) "Appropriating the Spectacle: Play and politics in a leisure landscape", Journal of Urban Design, 9 (3), pp. 351–65.
- Dovey K. & Dickson S.N. (2002) "Architecture and freedom? Programmatic innovation in the work of Koolhaas/OMA". Journal of Architectural Education, 56(1):5-14.
- Dovey K. & Sandercock L. (2002) "Hype and hope: Imagining Melbourne's Docklands". City. 6(1), 83-101.
- Sandercock L. & Dovey K.G. (2002) "Pleasure, politics and the 'public interest': Melbourne's riverscape revitalization". Journal of the American Planning Association. 68(2), 2002:151-164.
- Dovey, K. (2001) "Memory, Democracy and Urban Space: Bangkok’s Path to Democracy", Journal of Urban Design, 6 (3), 2001, pp. 265–82.
- Dovey K., Fitzgerald J.L. & Choi Y. (2001) "Safety Becomes Danger: Dilemmas of drug-use in public space". Health and Place, 7, 319-331.
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Redistributing Danger: Enclosure and Encounter in Urban Design", Australian Planner 37(1), 10–13
- Dovey, K. (2000) "Myth and Media: Constructing Aboriginal Architecture", Journal of Architectural Education 54(1), 2–6
Personal Website: http://www.placeresearch.net/