Heechul at KCON 2015
July 10, 1983
Hoengseong, Gangwon-do, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hui-cheol|
Kim Hee-chul (born July 10, 1983), better known by the mononym Heechul, is a South Korean singer, songwriter, presenter, and actor. He is a member of South Korean boy group Super Junior and has further participated in its subgroup, Super Junior-T as well as project group with TRAX's Jungmo, M&D. Aside from group activities, he participated in various television dramas, appeared as a radio DJ and television presenter. He is a League of Legends Gamer on LoL Champions and Celebrity Event.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Books
- 7 Commercial endorsements
- 8 Fan meeting Tours
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Early life and education
Kim Hee-chul was born in Hoengseong County, Gangwon Province, on July 10, 1983. He has one older Sister, Kim Heejin. Kim graduated from Sangji University with a bachelor's degree in informatics through Bachelor's Degree Examination for Self-Education. Subsequently, he graduated from Chungwoon University with a master's degree in industrial design.
2002-05: Career beginnings as a Model, Actor and MC
In October 2002, he auditioned to become a singer through the Starlight Casting System, and was initially placed in a four-member group called "Four Seasons" along with Jaejoong, Yunho and Kangin. While Jaejoong and Yunho went on to debut as TVXQ in December 2003, Heechul and Kangin joined ten other trainees under S.M. Entertainment to form the group "Super Junior 05", the first generation of Super Junior.
In December 2016, he confessed, he was preparing to debut as Trax main vocalist. He also revealed that he had frequent clashes and misunderstandings with the person in charge at SM at that time. Therefore, he became frustrated and abandoned his Trax debut and returned to his hometown in Gangwon Province. With Trax's Jungmo and Jay, TVXQ's Yunho and Donghae encouragement and positivity, he returned to SM.
His first acting role was in teen drama Sharp 2 alongside bandmate Kibum on 2005 before the debut of Super Junior. Shortly afterwards, he appeared in an episode of the series Loveholic and was a regular MC for the cable music show Show! Music Bank Tank. He also participated in runway modelling and appeared in advertisements.
2005–11: Debut with Super Junior, Super Junior-T and Overseas popularity
On November 2, 2005, "Super Junior 05" made their official debut as a twelve-member group on SBS's Popular Songs, performing their first single "TWINS". Their debut album SuperJunior05 (Twins) was released on December 5 and debuted at #3 on the monthly MIAK K-pop album charts.
In March 2006, SM Entertainment began to recruit new members for the next Super Junior generation. However, plans changed and the company declared a halt in forming future Super Junior generations. Following the addition of thirteenth member Kyuhyun, the group dropped the suffix "05" and became officially credited as Super Junior. The re-polished group's first CD single "U" was released on 7 June 2006, which was their most successful single until the release of "Sorry, Sorry" in March 2009.
Following their debut, Heechul again appeared alongside Kibum for the sixth season of Nonstop (2005–06), and also starred in Bad Family (2006), Golden Bride (2007–08). He also appeared as a radio DJ on SBS Power FM Youngstreet with Park Hee-von until mid-2006.
On February 23, 2007, he debuted as part of Super Junior sub-group, Super Junior-T, performing trot single "Rokuko!!!". That year Super Junior released their second album Don't Don, which became Super Junior's best-selling album and Korea's second best-selling album of the year. toured with the Super Show, and filmed the movie Attack on the Pin-Up Boys.
He appeared as a presenter on SBS music programme Inkigayo as a substitute for Andy of Shinhwa, going on to become a permanent host with Ku Hye-sun (23 April 2006 – 18 February 2007), Jang Keun-suk (25 February-7 October 2007) and Song Ji-hyo (11 November 2007 – 4 May 2008). He co-MC 4 straight years the Dream Concert (2008 – 11).
In 2008, he appeared in the S.M. Entertainment production of the musical Xanadu, playing the role of Sonny in rotation with bandmate Kangin. The production ran between 9 September-23 November 2008 at the Doosan Art Center, Yeonji-dong, Seoul. Casting was carried out via a reality television programme, To Be Kangin and Heechul. He also appeared on the TV Programmes 8 vs 1 (2008), Good Daddy (2008–09), Band of Brothers (2009). His first solo single, "First Star" ("초별"), was released on November 6, 2009, as part of the OST for the drama Loving You a Thousand Times. The song is written by Song Jong-ho and composed by Choi Myung-hoon.
In 2009, Heechul became depressive due to the lawsuit between SM Entertainment and Han Geng, leading to Han's departure from the company and the group, who Heechul considered his best friend. He didn't participate in any of the stage shows, including the end-of-year award shows For 3 months.
He returned as a radio DJ for the first time in four years on SBS's Heechul's Young Street from March 29, 2010 until mid-2011. In May 2010, he became a regular cast member on the series Family Outing 2, but the show was cancelled two months later due to low ratings. On October 9, he created a personal Facebook account which received 5,000 friend requests within five minutes. He became a worldwide trending topic on Twitter for four days after the account's creation.
2011–15: Debut with M&D, Military Enlistment and League of Legends
In 2011, he formed a project group with label mate Jungmo of TRAX called M&D (meaning "Midnight and Dawn" or "Miari and Dangae-dong", after the members' hometowns). They released their debut single, "Close Ur Mouth", in June. Heechul wrote the lyrics and directed the music video for the song, while Jungmo produced and performed the instrumental. Their first live performance was at Mnet’s summer awards ceremony 20’s Choice on July 7.
Kim Hee-chul carried out mandatory military service between 1 September 2011-30 August 2013. At the time that he enlisted, he had been appearing on KBS's Secret (시크릿) as well as the Radio Star main segment of MBC's Golden Fishery, for which bandmate Kyuhyun took over the role.
On July, Lady Gaga appeared on 9th’s episode on KBS2’s Entertainment Weekly for an exclusive interview and mentioned that she was amazed by Heechul's imitation of her. He's appeared “Lady HeeHee” throughout Super Show 3, as well as SM Town in Paris. Lady Gaga has seen his imitation and praised him, saying: “He looks amazing!”
Shortly after he had completed his military service, he featured on Kim Jang-hoon's single "Breakups are So Like Me". During live performances of the song on Music Bank and Show! Music Core, his part was performed by bandmates Yesung, Eunhyuk and Shindong.
In September 2013, he became a regular cast member on the JTBC's variety program Ssulzun (War of Words) but on July 2014 he posted a photo in his personal Instagram account and poured his heart and thoughts regarding his last appearance in the program. In Heechul’s last recording for the show, he mentioned about having the pressure of talking about the people close to him.
In January 2014, he appeared on the Global Edition spinoff of MBC reality television programme We Got Married, as an on-screen couple with Taiwanese girl group member Puff Guo. That year, he also played the role of a detective in the tvN drama Flower Grandpa Investigation Unit.
In February 2015, The famous LoL team SK Telecom T1 sponsored a special match titled the Celebrity League of Legends Invitational Event Match. SKT T-LoL invited various celebrities to join in a match against professional LoL gamers. The celebrity team including Heechul ultimately lost. Heechul also appeared on OnGameNet’s Pandora TV LoL Champions on 27 November 2013 as a Special Commentator and Guest player.
In April 2015, SM Entertainment announced that M&D would release their first mini-album Cottage Industry with the title track "I Wish" digitally on April 16 and physically on April 20.
In 2015, he became MC on entertainment programs such as Tvn's The Demand of Luxurious Food, KBS's Fashion-beauty Show A Style For You, O'live's Travel Show MAPS, JTBC's variety show Knowing Bros. and Korean-Chinese program All the Way With You (S 2), This is the first Chinese variety that he was in charge since his debut in Korean entertainment in 2005.
2016-present: MC-ing, Variety shows and Mainstream success
In March 2016, Heechul was confirmed to become a temporary host for Weekly Idol until October 5, when Jeong Hyeong-don ending his 11-month break from television activities. He released a duet with Wheein in April 15, 2016 for SM Station. The single "Narcissus" was written by Heechul and produced by Jungmo, and is His first collaboration with a female artist. In early July 2016, M&D returned as "Kim Heechul & Kim Jungmo", with a 2nd mini-album Goody Bag, and trot-rock title track "Ulsanbawi" on July 12.
In June 4, 2016, he appeared on the third season of the Chinese dating variety show, If You Love with Li Feier (Chinese actress). He announced the news himself through his personal Weibo account. He has been on the global edition of We Got Married before with Puff Guo, so this is his second time being in a virtual relationship. In 23 July, he held his first solo fanmeeting "The Space Big Star Show" in Beijing, China.
In August 2016, he attended the "League of Legends Pro League 5th Anniversary" in China, which included the Regional Final with four Chinese teams competing for a spot in the World Championship. He also competed in a Korea vs. China celebrity showmatch in commemoration – the victorious Korean team included Heechul, Seungri and F.T. Island's Hongki, Minhwan and Seunghyun while the Chinese team included Jay Chou (who had bought and rebranded J Team, previously Taipei Assassins). Also, on 9 October he appeared on OnGameNet as a special commentator for the LoL World Championship. In November 2016, Heechul began participating in S.M. Entertainment's League of Legends tournament 2016 S.M. Super Celeb League, where he and labelmate Baekhyun play the game with both professional players and fans from South Korea and China.
In fall 2016, Heechul and Buzz member Min Kyung-hoon released a duet titled "Sweet Dream", with the music video starring Momo and the rest of the Knowing Bros cast. The song reached number one on every South Korean online music chart, an achievement known as "all-kill", making him the first Super Junior member to achieve "all-kill" in 2016. The success of Knowing Bros in Korea brought him a new range of fans and is a large part of why the show is so popular also he named the Top 3 Idol MC's of 2016.
In 2017, he joined Idol School as MC, homeroom teacher, and mentor.
August 2006: Car accident
On 10 August 2006, Heechul was involved in a car accident while heading back to Seoul from Mokpo after attending the funeral of fellow Super Junior member Donghae’s father. The tires malfunctioned while his car attempted to switch lanes. Heechul fractured his left leg in five places, including his femur, knee, and ankle, requiring him to be in surgery for six hours. He also sustained other injuries, including a tear in his tongue which required stitches.
Heechul was advised to stop all activities for a period of twelve weeks. He was released from the hospital on 13 September 2006 but he continued to receive out-patient care. He returned to the hospital to have a second surgery to remove some of the iron rods in his leg on October 10 and briefly returned to work in late October to film the final three episodes of an MBC youth sitcom while still in a cast and on a wheelchair. He made his comeback on 25 November of the same year during the Mnet KM Music Festival (MKMF) Awards. In late December Heechul officially returned to individual activities such as variety show appearances and hosting appearances.
In 2007, Heechul started to perform regularly despite still having a few rods that the doctors had attached to his leg. In late April and May 2007, he had recovered enough to be able to take part in Super Junior’s strenuous dance routines. The remaining rods in his leg were removed in 2008.
He's still receiving treatment.
September 2011: Military Enlistment
Heechul carried out mandatory military service from 1 September 2011 to 30 August 2013. He served as a public service worker for 23 months after undergoing four weeks of basic training at the Nonsan military camp in Chungcheongnam-do.
His last Radio Star episode before enlisting in the military was aired on the September 14, 2011 where he spoke about the criticism of not joining the military as a full-time soldier. He said, “I was involved in a huge car accident 4 years back. My left leg was shattered due to the accident and I had many steel rods inserted into my leg”. He was found to be medically unfit to serve as a professional soldier.
On 26 January 2012, he hosted the radio program every Friday at the office of District Seong Dong, where he was serving his 2-year mandatory military service. His first episode was broadcast on January 20 and had received 5,600 hits.
- Soundtrack & Singles Contributions
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales
|As lead artist|
|"First Star"||November 6, 2009||*||N/A||Loving You a Thousand Times OST|
|"Breakups are So Like Me"
(with. Kim Jang-hoon)
|September 26, 2011||33||
(with. Min Kyung-hoon)
|November 19, 2016||1||
||S.M. Station Season 1|
|"Can It Be Love?"
|July 12, 2006||*||N/A||Rainbow Romance OST|
(feat. Cast of Bad Family)
|2006||Bad Family OST|
|"Don't Walk Away"
(with. Kim Sung Ki, Hong Ji Min, Kim Hee Won)
|October 15, 2008||Xanadu OST|
|As featured artist|
|"King Wang Zzang"
(Defconn feat. Heechul)
|November 20, 2010||—||N/A||Non-album single|
|"You Are A Miracle"
(Feat. Various Artists)[A]
|December 29, 2013||32||
(EVE feat. Heechul)
|December 24, 2016||—||N/A||Romantic Show|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.
"*" denotes the chart did not exist at that time.
- "You Are A Miracle" was a Single for SBS Gayo Daejun 's Friendship Project.
- 2013: The ZZINPANG Family (Webtoon)
- 2017: My Ramen full-life (Photobook - Japan)
- 2017: Girl Groups 101 
Heechul has endorsed for various brands such as Lotte Duty Free, Lotte Pepero, Otuggi Ramen, SPRIS, IVY Club, 1677 Collect Call, Sunkist Lemonade, kyochon Chicken, SPAO Star, FINO Yamaha, 12 Plus, NII, Picks Miwon, App DdocDoc, Smile Gate's game.
Fan meeting Tours
||Kim Heechul 1st Asia Fan meeting Tour||"Kim Heechul Universe Big Star show"|
||Kim Heechul Fanclub Event||"Hikaru's Nikoniko Show"||
Awards and nominations
|2006||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Rainbow Romance||Nominated|
|2007||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Pretty Boy||N/A||Won|||
|SBS Entertainment Awards||Star of the Year Award||N/A||Nominated|
|2011||Shorty Awards||Best Celebrity||N/A||Nominated|
|MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Radio Star||Won|||
|2015||12th Cosmo Beauty Awards (China)||Asia Beauty Icon Award||N/A||Won|
|2016||Melon Popularity Awards||Weekly Popularity Award (11.21~11.27)
(with Min Kyung-hoon)
|5th JTBC Awards||Crazy Person Award||Knowing Bros||Won|||
|Best Couple Award
(with Min Kyung-hoon)
|2017||Gaon Chart Music Awards||Song of the Year (November)
(with Min Kyung-hoon)
|Melon Music Awards||Top 10 Artists
(with Min Kyung-hoon)
- (in Korean) Naver - Person Profile "Kim Heechul"
- Korea Music Copyright Association Writers:김희철 (W1054900)
- "'싱데렐라' 트랙스 정모, 김희철의 연습생 시절 비하인드 스토리 공개". sedaily (in Korean). December 27, 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- "2005 Super Junior's official debut" Ent.hunantv.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (in Chinese)
- "SM Unveils 12-Membered Boy Group Named Super Junior" Arirang.co.kr. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 2011-12-25
- "Album Sales of December 2005". Recording Industry Association of Korea (in Korean). p. 1. Archived from the original on February 25, 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Super Junior adds new member, transformed into 13-person super group" Sina.com. 24 May 2006. Retrieved 2011-05-08 (in Chinese)
- "SuperJunior releases third studio album" Epaper.jinghua.cn. 14 March 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-25 (in Chinese)
- Heo, Yoon-hee (16 March 2006). "SBS 코믹극 ‘불량가족’ 22일 첫 방영…김명민 연기변신". Cine21 (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Lee Yong-sung "Young trot music stars bridge generation gap" Korea Herald. 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-03
- "Super Junior, SG Wananbe first and second place in 2007 album sales". Moneytoday (in Korean). 12 December 2007. p. 1. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- Cathy Rose A. Garcia "Super Junior Hits Big Screen" Archived 2012-05-12 at the Wayback Machine. Korea Times. 8 July 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-03
- Koh Young-aah "Super Junior members set to make move into musicals" Korea Herald. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 2012-04-03
- Lee Hyunwoo (2008-05-12). "SuJu Kim Heechul-Kangin preparing to transform into musical actors in "Xanadu"". Newsen (in Korean). p. 1. Archived from the original on 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- "Super Junior member Heechul to release single on OST" Asiae. 23 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-04-17
- Henry Elf (2015-07-15), [ENG SUB] 2014 Hangeng interview on Heechul, retrieved 2017-01-31
- Ko, Jae-wan (22 March 2010). "Super Junior Kim Hee-chul makes radio DJ comeback". 10 Asia. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Kim, Lynn (30 April 2010). "Super Junior's Heechul to join Family Outing season 2". 10 Asia. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- ‘패떴2’ 5개월만에 결국 폐지 ‘일요일이 좋다’ 런닝맨-영웅호걸 신설 (in Korean). Yahoo! Korea News. 28 June 2010. Archived from the original on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- Kanalley, Craig (2010-10-11). "Kim Heechul, 'Korean Justin Bieber,' Takes Over Twitter". Huffington Post. p. 1. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "이휘재·신봉선·김희철, '시크릿' MC 발탁" (in Korean). Star News. 24 May 2011. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Super Junior Kyuhyun replaces Kim Heechul on 'Radio Star'" Asiae. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-22
- "Lady Hee Hee short performances in SM TOWN Paris backstage!" dkpopnews.fooyoh.com 2011/06
- "Lady Gaga Says Lady HeeHee Looks Amazing!" ningin.com 2011/07/09
- Choe, MinJi "Super Junior Fills in For Heechul for Kim Jang Hoon Duet"CJ E&M enewsWorld. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-30
- "Shanghai Romance". MelOn. LOEN Entertainment. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Super Junior Heechul Returning to Entertainment… Reunion with Kim Gura" kpopstarz.com 2013.09.24
- "Super Junior’s Heechul to Appear on LoL Champions" worldwideelfs.com 2013/11/20
- Kim, In-young (December 3, 2015). "'아는 형님' 공식 포스터 공개, 벌써부터 풍기는 빅재미 냄새". IlganSports.com. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- Jo, In-woo (December 4, 2015). "강호동과 서장훈이 싸우면 누가 이길까, JTBC 시시콜콜 '아는형님'". newsis.com. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- "김희철 "中예능 첫단독MC..출연자들, 중국가자고"(직격인터뷰)" naver.com 2014.11.30
- "heechul hani weekly idol mc" kpopstarz.com 2016.03.17
- "'주간아' 측 "정형돈 10月 복귀, 각별한 애정 덕에 가능" [공식입장]" (in Korean). September 13, 2016. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Park Hyeon-min (March 29, 2016). "[단독] 김희철X마마무 휘인, 듀엣곡 호흡…"녹음 완료"". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved April 7, 2016.
- "'글로벌 예능돌' 김희철, 中서 한번 더 가상 연애" entertain.naver.com 2016.06.05
- "Super Junior’s Heechul To Hold Solo Fan Meeting In Shanghai" June 18, 2016 on hellokpop.com
- LPL 5th Anniversary - Celebrity Showmatch - Strongest Team on Earth (China) vs. Geniuses of the Universe (Korea) - Chinese Cast YouTube (originally broadcast by Tencent)
- SAMSUNG vs TSM - 2016 롤드컵 그룹스테이지 7일차-김희철 해설 [2016 LoL Worlds YouTube 2016.10.09
- "'김희철-백현' 참여! 팬과 함께 하는 중국 LoL 이벤트전". inven.co.kr. November 3, 2016.
- "아는형님 김희철 민경훈 '나비잠' 비하인드, 트와이스 모모 두고 '신경전'". Naver (in Korean). Seoul Shinmun. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- 스테이션 시리즈 최초 #1 등극! melon
- [창간특집] 2016 아이돌 MC 3대천왕, 뽑고보니 '슈주에요' entertain.naver 2016.11.27
- Heechul's Car accident kpopstarz.com 2013.08.30
- Kim Heechul's Car Accident afspot.net
- "[女 수다 ②] 김희철 “최고의 파트너는 이수근…나를 잘 아는 사람" entertain.naver.com 2017.01.06
- Song Yoon-soo (2010-08-22). "Super Junior’s Kim Hee-chul makes plans to be a military man". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2011-08-23.
- "Super Junior’s Kim Heechul speaks out about the critics concerning his military service" ningin.com 2011/09/15
- "Super Junior’s Heechul hosts his own radio program for the government" ningin.com 2012/01/26
- "Gaon Digital Chart". Gaon. Archived from the original on 2015-02-04.
- Cumulative sales for "Breakups are So Like Me":
- Cumulative sales for "Sweet Dream":
- "Gaon Download Chart, December 29, 2013-January 4, 2014". Gaon Music Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- Heechul&Pristin’s KyulKyung’s ‘Everything About Girl Group Dating Life’![We Like Zines/2017.09.12] KBS World Official YouTube
- 희철 CF smtown.com
- "Otuggi" Ramen Youtube channel
- Pick Miwon 대상주식회사 Youtube channel
- App "DdocDoc" 똑똑한닥터 Youtube channel
- 스마일게이트, ‘탄: 끝없는 전장’ 사전 예약 실시 thisisgame
- 스마일게이트메가포트 Youtube channel
- 설현, 김희철, G마켓 하드케리, 광고 모음 Free time 프리타임
- GmarketZone Youtube channel
- "2007 20's Choice". Mwave.
- "Who Won the Grand Prize at the MBC Entertainment Awards?". CJ E&M enewsWorld. December 30, 2011.
- "나비잠 (Sweet Dream) 곡이 주간 1위가 되었습니다.". Melon (in Korean). November 28, 2016. Archived from the original on 2017-01-01. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "JTBC AWARDS 2016". JTBC (in Korean). December 29, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "6th GAONCHART MUSIC AWARDS" (in Korean). kpopawards.co.kr. Archived from the original on January 22, 2017. Retrieved January 22, 2017.
- "2017 Top 10 Artists". Melon. Archived from the original on June 9, 2017. Retrieved June 9, 2017.