||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Himchan during Live on Earth Chicago Attack on April 19, 2014
April 19, 1990
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Korea National University of Arts|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Him-chan|
Kim Him-chan was born in Seoul, South Korea on April 19, 1990. He has one older sister. Kim attended National Korean Traditional Music High School and graduated at 17 with full scholarship. He is currently studying at the Korea National University of Arts. When asked how he became a singer, Kim commented, "Since I was young, I loved music a lot. Originally I was learning Western music and also majored in Gukak (Korean Traditional Music) but because I also had an interest in the entertainment genre, someone from this company called to me offering me an opportunity. I was learning janggu. I have collaborated with a shamisen artist before. A Japanese arts school and my school are sister schools so we have exchanges like this. I’m still a student right now but I’m on leave at the moment." Kim revealed that he never had to pay tuition for his education in middle school and high school. In 2010, he was the fifth generation member in the BEST NINE SCHOOL ULZZANG (meaning #5 ulzzang), with CNBLUE members Jung Yong-hwa and Lee Jong-hyun, Block B's Jaehyo, and MBLAQ's Lee Joon, who were the top 4 generation members respectively before Himchan. The same year he also appeared in Jung Seulgi’s music video for "Back In Place Again". In August 2011, Kim made his television debut as an MC at SBS MTV's "The Show" along with Jun Hyo-sung, Luna and Lee Hye-ri. In 2011, he also appeared in the music videos of Secret’s Shy Boy and Starlight Moonlight, Song Jieun’s Going Crazy and Bang & Zelo’s "Never Give Up". He also made a cameo appearance in the movie "Mr. Idol" with Bang Yong Guk in 2011. The same year, he participated in a rap gig with Vasco and Yongguk in Seoul.
In March 2011, TS Entertainment already signaled that they will debut a boy band in 2012. Bang Yong Guk was the first member to be revealed in TS Entertainment's upcoming boy band with singles such as "Going Crazy" and "I Remember". In August 2011, TS Entertainment introduced its second member, Kim Him Chan and revealed that he will be an MC in MTV's The Show. In November 2011, TS Entertainment stated that they will debut a sub-unit group for their upcoming boy band previously known as "TS Baby" featuring Bang Yong Guk and another member.
B.A.P debuted in January 2012 with their lead single "Warrior". On January 28, 2012, the group held its debut showcase concert in Seoul, South Korea with over 3,000 people attended the show. Their debut single met them critical acclaim as various media outlets dubbed the song and its music video, "powerful and charismatic".
Artistry and influences
|"I used to do Korean classical music and started training to join an idol group after someone set me up an interview with my current agency. The common thing between Korean classical music and becoming a singer is that I get to go on stage which why I decided to get professional training for K-pop music without holding any bias."|
—Kim Himchan, discussing on what persuaded him to become a K-Pop singer 
Kim Himchan is a sub-vocalist and a rapper of the group. His musical influences includes the genres of R&B, Urban music and Korean Traditional Music. He was a graduate of the National Korean Traditional Music (Guk-ak) Junior High School and the National Korean Traditional Music High School, and is currently a student of Korea National University of Arts. The National Traditional Music Junior High School and the National Traditional Music High School are known for being government-established national arts education centers in Korea; meanwhile, Himchan’s university is also government-affiliated, as it is run by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Himchan plays various Korean traditional instruments, such as daegeum (flute-like traditional instrument), janggu (drum-like traditional instrument), kkwaenggwari and jing. In college, he continued in this direction with a major in traditional arts at the Korea National University of Arts.
|2011||Mr. Idol||Cameo||with Bang Yong-guk|
Music video appearances
|2010||"Finally In It's Place (결국제자리)"||Jeong Seoul-gi|
|2011||"Going Crazy"||Song Ji-eun feat. Bang Yong-guk||Min Hyorin's love interest|
|"Shy Boy"||Secret||Shy boy|
|"Starlight Moonlight"||Secret||Cleaning the Floor in the Background|
|"Never Give Up"||Bang&Zelo||Student|
- "B.A.P Profile". KBS World. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Hwang Hyo-Jin (2012-03-09). "(INTERVIEW) B.A.P Bang Yong-guk, Him Chan". 10asia. ⓒ 10아시아. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Choi Se-Jung (2012-02-23). "「B.A.P」を探れ！～アナザー・エピソード 1～". Korean Pia News (in Korean). PIA Corporation. Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- "B.A.P’s Himchan revealed to be a graduate of top tier arts schools". 6theory Media. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Park, HyunMin (December 19, 2011). "Bang Yong Guk & Zelo to Debut with B.A.P". enewsworld. CJ E&M. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Lee, Ellie (January 3, 2012). "WHO IS B.A.P?". MTVK. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Xu, Tina (August 25, 2011). "SECOND MEMBER OF TS BABY REVEALED THROUGH MTV KOREA’S THE SHOW!". MTVK. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Xu, Tina (December 1, 2011). "PROJECT DUO BANG & ZELO REVEALS "NEVER GIVE UP" MV FEATURING SECRET’S HYOSUNG!". MTVK. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (January 30, 2012). "B.A.P Brings in Big Crowds for Its Debut Showcase". enewsworld. CJ E&M. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- 2012년 빛낼 아이돌 출격 임박..'신고 합니다!' (in Korean). Star News. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Xu, Tina (January 25, 2012). "B.A.P MAKES LONG AWAITED DEBUT WITH "WARRIOR"". MTV Korea. Viacom International Inc. Retrieved January 26, 2012.